PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:36 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

http://www.newjerseynewsroom.com/commen ... more-drugs

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:02 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Outrageous! Does this guy even KNOW anyone on Suboxone maintenance?

This is exactly what we don't need. At least the comments put him in his place.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention, madyson.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:11 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Thanks for sharing that article!!! I get so angry when I read things like that, but as said above....at least the comments put him in his place!! I mentioned several times on this forum that I live in PA, but go to NJ for my Suboxone. SO, even tho I don't live in NJ, I can relate to this article and it really 'hits home'. I am surely saving this article for future reference. Thanks again for posting this, Take Care....

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." ---Salvador Dali

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:20 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

We have the fine folks from The National Alliance of Advocates for Buprenorphine Treatment to thank for a few of the well-written responses. I don't know if they are in any way tied to or funded by the makers of Suboxone but this organization really does seem to have our backs and is a great resource as well. I am not in any way involved or connected with them but am very supportive of what they do.

What I find the most interesting is I only really seem to see comments like the ones in the main article come from one of two places. They either seem to come from addicts who have gotten clean with, or in some way are completely supportive of 12-step programs - or they come from those who work for or are involved with long-term, in-patient, rehabs. Think about it - is that not where most of these types of comments come from? Let's face it, Suboxone has the real power to put both of these not only to shame but out of business. Once stable on Suboxone, the need for and reasons for the in patient rehab places are largely decreased. In the case of the 12-step people, it really seems like they resent the fact that they had to go through all of this "hard work" and all we need to do is just take a little pill. In the case of the rehab centers, Suboxone is a real threat to them. In the case of the steppers, they just don't like the fact that we can take what they see as a cop out or a short cut and get to the same spot that they are. It just isn't fair - in their minds. It's almost like they want to say that we are not as "clean" as they are. In the case of the rehabs, I think that they are just very scared of Suboxone. I really think that this drug threatens their vary existence.

That's just my opinion. It's just the way I see this. While I can't be certain these are the underlying reasons for making these statements, I think you'll have to at least agree that the majority of the statements do come from one of these two sources most of the time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:47 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

donh wrote:
We have the fine folks from The National Alliance of Advocates for Buprenorphine Treatment to thank for a few of the well-written responses. I don't know if they are in any way tied to or funded by the makers of Suboxone but this organization really does seem to have our backs and is a great resource as well. I am not in any way involved or connected with them but am very supportive of what they do.

What I find the most interesting is I only really seem to see comments like the ones in the main article come from one of two places. They either seem to come from addicts who have gotten clean with, or in some way are completely supportive of 12-step programs - or they come from those who work for or are involved with long-term, in-patient, rehabs. Think about it - is that not where most of these types of comments come from? Let's face it, Suboxone has the real power to put both of these not only to shame but out of business. Once stable on Suboxone, the need for and reasons for the in patient rehab places are largely decreased. In the case of the 12-step people, it really seems like they resent the fact that they had to go through all of this "hard work" and all we need to do is just take a little pill. In the case of the rehab centers, Suboxone is a real threat to them. In the case of the steppers, they just don't like the fact that we can take what they see as a cop out or a short cut and get to the same spot that they are. It just isn't fair - in their minds. It's almost like they want to say that we are not as "clean" as they are. In the case of the rehabs, I think that they are just very scared of Suboxone. I really think that this drug threatens their vary existence.

That's just my opinion. It's just the way I see this. While I can't be certain these are the underlying reasons for making these statements, I think you'll have to at least agree that the majority of the statements do come from one of these two sources most of the time.
I agree, In the case of the steppers...it is almost as if the addict has not suffered enough or worked hard enough to be worthy of "true" sobriety.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:40 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

FYI - NAABT is the organization started by Reckitt - B - suboxone's manufacturer. Good organization and people but beware of heavy bias towards suboxone as a miracle drug. I was informed on that site that my reason for wanting off suboxone "wasn't good enough"! We all have our own reasons to either stay on or come off suboxone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:45 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Donh--

That was very well said! I agree. I also have noticed that, that seems to be the pattern (for the most part). Great observation...

I did not know that naabt was created by Reckitt, interesting. But, I do think that site has some great info and have visited it many times.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:59 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Kind of unrelated but I am also very disappointed that Dr. Drew went on national television and said that Suboxone was only a good idea for detox basically.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:23 pm 
It is disappointing! That article irritated me greatly! The level of ignorance or maybe it's denial, just astounds me!
I really agree with donh's take on the issue. If everyone got on board with Suboxone, a lot of rehabs would go out of business. It's a shame that the focus is not more on the addict.....what gives him or her the best shot at survival, sobriety, and a meaningful life!
Too bad!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:14 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Some additional responses to this article have been posted - including one by Dr. Junig. Visitors may want to take a look at what's been posted so far. Although I highly doubt it will change the writer's mind.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:25 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Donh, I am assuming you are the same donh who posted a reply to the article in question..... I think that was a great reply to that article. Keeping an eye on the goal should be the main focus. Dr. J and Matt also added great replies. Good job guys and thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:34 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Xonedone wrote:
FYI - NAABT is the organization started by Reckitt - B - suboxone's manufacturer. Good organization and people but beware of heavy bias towards suboxone as a miracle drug. I was informed on that site that my reason for wanting off suboxone "wasn't good enough"! We all have our own reasons to either stay on or come off suboxone.

Xonedone wrote:

NAABT was NOT started by RB. It was created by 3 people including a buprenorphine research nurse from Yale, a graphic designer, and a friend of someone whose life was saved by buprenorphine treatment. After being established we decided to contact RB and ask for a contribution, since they were the only manufacturer at the time. They agreed to contribute and that allowed us to create the free materials that have been downloaded over 1,000,000 times and create and maintain the free matching system that has connected over 25,000 patients to a treatment provider with openings. We have also asked for and received funding from Alkermes (the maker of Vivitrol) and Google. In addition many former patients, their loved ones and doctors participating in the matching system have made contributions too.

We also go out of our way to say that Suboxone is NOT a miracle drug and that it is only a small part of an overall treatment plan. Addiction Survivors discussion board is a separate organization from NAABT and receives no $ from any pharmaceutical company. As with any discussion board the views and opinions of the participants don't necessarily reflect the views of the group of the organization.

Congratulations to all of you who have achieved sustained addiction remission!

NAABT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:33 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Thank you for making that very important correction. We seem to have problems from time to time with incorrect information getting posted to the board here. I always personally value it when someone takes the time to set the record straight, and always encourage posters to strive for accuracy with the information they provide and post. I think that your organization has done an outstanding job with both the matching system and the supporting information that you have made available. Keep up the great work!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:25 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Yes NAABT.org (the poster), thank you for clearing that up. I think it is a wonderful thing you guys/gals are doing. You have and are helping so many people go from active addiction to active recovery. We can not thank you enough!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:34 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

NAABT,
I also wish to thank you for all you do. I found my current doctor thru your matching system and now have a wallet card telling ER personnel about my taking suboxone. You're also a wealth of information. You should be quite proud of your organization.

Melissa

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:17 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

DonH, BigRed, hatmaker510,
Thank you very very much for the replies, I am so happy to read that we have been able to help in some way. I really appreciate the positive feedback! :D

I also want to thank the admins here for allowing me to post the correction above. It’s not my intention to hijack this thread or promote anything I just wanted to correct a common and understandable error.

Lastly, I wanted to thank those of you who posted your comments to the article this thread is about. Educating the public as you have with sensible reasoning and a modern philosophy of addiction treatment, will get the word out and prevent people from being stuck in the dangerous and expensive detox/relapse trap.

Thank you all and congratulations!! :lol:

NAABT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:35 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I learned a LONG time ago to ignore people like the uninformed person who wrote that piece. He has no idea what he's talking about. Period.