It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:14 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

http://www.usatoday.com/news/military/2 ... htm?csp=hf This is a great article about an injured person who became dependent on opiates and his struggle. Part of his ultimate solution is using buprenorphrine. It made me feel more human and less weak.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:42 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey, thanks for sharing the article. I found this line quite interesting: "He was placed on a weaker narcotic, buprenorphrine, less amenable to abuse." A WEAKER NARCOTIC?? I appreciate the fact that they didn't bash suboxone, but you'd think since it's getting to be such a widespread way to treat opiate addiction that they would have talked about it more and about how it saves lives. I guess we'll take what we can get, right? Baby steps...

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:59 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I agree about them not sharing more about the attributes of Suboxone. It has saved my hide. Given me time to rejoin a twelve step program and find happiness about who I am.I gave my shame to a higher power; I had no more use for it. I am at 4mg and plan to start a long taper of many months. I am in no hurry to test the waters. I am happy, feeling good and very hopeful where I am. I'm so grateful for Suboxone.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:23 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

The one thing that stood out about this little revelation by the Gen. was that it was very, very carefully worded. By his own admission things were out of control - personal and work relationships were adversely affected, he was taking up to sixty oxycontin per day, and though he realized he had a severe problem, still he couldn't stop. Sounds a lot more like addiction than dependency to me.

Though I wish he had been completely honest, I guess you have to give him some credit. The culture of the military doesn't allow for any perceived weakness and an admission of ADDICTION *gasp* to painkillers could possibly be a career ender. Kind of a missed opportunity in my opinion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:19 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Thank's for posting that. Honestly, this is the first public article I have seen mentioning anything even remotely valuable or positive about suboxone. I agree with some of the other people that this is addiction and there wasn't total honesty here but I understand.

It is funny because when I picked up my script this week, all the sudden, the amount due was $0.00. Tri-Care has apparently decided they will now cover suboxone. I wonder if this has anything to do with it? They can't exactly go public and then admit they won't pay for the drug that got the general clean now can they?

Very interesting.

Cherie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:41 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

8)

- Winston Churchill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:58 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member