It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:07 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

My son (26) recently moved after being in jail to get away from where he lived, he has no job (looking for one) or insurance. Due to the fact that there is an eight month wait to get into a Suboxone program in New Mexico, at the advice of his PO, he enrolled in a methadone recovery program where he recently moved to. Despite telling the facility staff that he has no money, he has had to pay for enrollment, and an additional payment to continue the program - all I paid for. Now this program wants $11.00 a day (so he says and I am going to verify this with the place) for Suboxone which I cannot afford (yes I know, how can you not afford it). They do not offer the program for free regardless of personal situation, it's like this state wide to the best of my knowledge and past experience with my son's prior program admittance. This program won't give him a prescription until he tests clean for a period of time so he has to go in each day for a dose of Suboxone which he won't get unless he pays the daily fee. He is also required to attend counseling sessions and classes. He doesn't qualify for Medicad. There is not "free" help or pills provided by anyone in New Mexico. You can get discounts sure, but nothing "free", and all doctor visits have a payment requirement. My son is indigent at this time, an unemployed felon (busted into a car, yup, a felon for that), yet this state apparently has no funds to help a recovering addict who doesn't have insurance and is unemployed which means this state doesn't give a damn about our addicts - period. I'm sure it is like this elsewhere, but what is one to do as a addict under these conditions? Relapse? Is this really the only options New Mexico and potentially most of the U.S. in general have?

Any advice or input is welcome, and thank you.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:03 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

This post makes me so sad. Not because I can relate to it directly, but because I do know people that can. It's so common and so messed up. It's really unfortunate when people get caught in the system and labeled a felon due to these petty crimes associated with addiction. It breaks my heart.

I don't have any answers, but hopefully someone will come by and say something smart. Why doesn't he qualify for medicaid? Is it the felon status or another reason?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:17 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Hi Tinydancer,

Nice to get a reply! Thank you!

To answer your questions, he doesn't qualify for medicaid because he doesn't have children primarily. Yes, have a child and you'll qualify! It has nothing to do with his felony conviction for a petty crime which he has complete all the punishment phase, probation, jail time, minus the fine he still owes which is crazy because he doesn't have money to make the monthly payment so if he misses a payment they put a warrant out for his arrest. It was a stupid mistake he made, and the guy who owned the car had broken into my son's apartment and robbed him. He got away with it, so my son broke into his car and stole his car stereo, naturally got caught, and was charged as a felon, first offense outside of a DWI.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:26 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I did not know that it was hard to get medicaid without having children.

One group that is automatically accepted onto medicaid is people with disabilities (despite having children or not.) It's quite easy to get a doctor to "label" you as having depression or anxiety, or something along those lines, especially when it comes to addicts. If you can get him in to see an understanding doctor, who might acknowledge an underlying disability that has fueled his addiction (that has possibly kept him from working,) he could then apply for disability. He'd get access to medicaid, and possibly a monthly stipend to help him get by. I think this is the route you should be aiming for.