It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Insomnia under 4 mg
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:08 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

It's no wonder I'm bringing this topic up now, I think I've posted 3 or 4 times tonight between 2:00am and 5:00am. I've always been a bad sleeper ever since I was little. I've learned to function well with 4 hours of sleep, so bad rest at night is nothing new. The only point in my life when I would sleep through the night was when I was mixing opiates, soma, and valuim. Only problem was I could not wake up. I've been on suboxone for 6 1/2 years and all things considered it's been a life changing experience. Please everyone out there, I have no problem taking advice from someone half my age and on suboxone for a month or two. Ever since I dropped to 3 mg my sleep has slowly gotten worse. Now it's 6:00am where I live and I probably slept 2 hours last night. I'm also looking at a 10 hour work day ahead of me today. Starting to get very frustrated. It reminds me of being up all night using coke; if I fall asleep right now I will get 4 hours, then an hour passes and it's, if I fall asleep now I will get 3 hours. The finally you say screw it and get up. I try to do everything right, no caffine after 3 or 4 pm, I exercise, and I take melatonin before I go to bed. I can't figure out if it's the lower suboxone or if it's just my crazy life right now. My wife and I have dealt with a ton of issues with my 9 year old recently. Two broken bones, one left him in a wheel chair for three months, two surgeries in the past 7 months (that's a whole different story). My point and question is, is it the suboxone or just dealing with a rough patch. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys in advance. I'm a typical addict in the fact that I don't share my problems untill they are completely out of control. Instead of doing what I've learned with all the therapy and meeting, bringing up these issues before they get this bad. I still feel like I can will my way out of any situation before asking for help or advice. One of these days I will learn.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:43 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey Smoothy! Gosh I'm so sorry to hear you're having so many problems getting good night's sleep. I have no idea if it's your lower dose of sub or not, although I'm inclined to say it's more a matter of your current stresses than anything else. Have you tried any sleep meds? In the last 8 years or so I've had trouble sleeping myself and have taken many sleep aids over the years. Since I started suboxone 19 months ago, I've been consistently taking Trazodone. It's an older atypical antidepressant that's quite commonly used for sleep these days. Maybe it's time to ask your doctor about trying a sleep aid. Or you could start by trying an OTC sleep aid. Just some thoughts I've had. If, however, you're not interested in trying medications, have you ever tried progressive relaxation before bed? I've found that can help me relax and I know many people use that as a means to help them sleep.

I hope you find something soon that will help you get a good night's sleep.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:47 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

my sub doc told me that 4 mg covers all the brain and then when you drop from that some parts of the brain does not receive it. Don't know if it is true but made since to me. Since going down to 4 was pretty easy and then after that it has been pretty slow.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:56 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

I just read my original post forgetting it was mine. I was thinking "this guys going through the exact same thing I am", I feel like an idiot.
I actually just got back from my psychiatrist appointment and we talked alot about the insomnia and the under 4 mg effect. He says he see's it alot, people hitting a wall around 3 or 4 mg. I think I'm starting to adjust to 3, been sleeping much better. Thanks for the responses.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:06 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Well, if you've been suffering from insomnia all your life, you've probably tried all the techniques, but I think one that sometimes really works well for me is taking a super hot bath or shower and then going straight to bed. I mean HOT water, as hot as you can stand, like, hotter than is probably recommended for hottubs and such. And stay 9in it as long as you can stand, then go straight to bed--preferably have your bed all nicely made up the way you like it before you get in your bath or shower. The other thing I do for getting to sleep is focus on my breathing--taking slow and deep breaths and counting as I breath in and out. Then there's the old technique of in your mind going from head to toe or toe to head and focusing on relaxing each part of your body. I think that is the "progressive relaxation" mentioned below. Sometimes that really does work for me. Like I said, you've probably tried everything for getting to sleep but I just thought I'd mention these ideas. I have been having some trouble with wakefulness in the middle of the night lately too....I get to sleep but then I'm awake again for long periods....I am wondering if that happens wh4en I take more sub than I am supposed to, which is still a problem I've been having.

Anyway, I hope you start getting more sleep soon--I really know what you mean about how hard it is to be at work when you are seriously sleep-deprived. And...of ocurse many people DO take various sleep aids, so, maybe you should talk to your doctor about that if it doesnt' start getting better soon.