It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Insomnia GRRRR
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:00 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

OK time to whine a little. I'm so glad I am off Suboxone. Bit right or wrong--I jumped at 8mgs cold. That was 17 days ago. I have improved greatly. I'm glad to be off them. I love seeing my wife happy. I love my kids seeing me alive. I love that my 7 year old son is getting his daddy back. But what the hell with the no sleep? I figured by now I would at LEAST be getting a few hours. Right now I only get about hours of sleep--and that is every other night when I didnt get ANY sleep the night before. I love Lucy as much as the next guy--but not at 3am!

I have been taking Trazadone--100mgs ay first. Called the doc. Bumped to 150. Nothing. I thought Traz worked last time I took it. But now I realize it was the Suboxone that was letting me sleep. I dont know about you but one of the effects ion me was constantly nodding off during the day. Anyway--now the doc is calling in Amitryptoline, I am trying that tonight. Anyone ever used this before for sleep? Results. I love the decision I made--it was right for me. I didnt have the money to taper. But I have to admit the insomnia is a bit discouraging right now. Thanks for any reply.

brian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:47 pm 
Hi Brian, wow congratulations on 17 days!

That was a hell of a jump. I have used amitriptyline in the past and it always made me much more sleepy than trazedone. From the things I have read on the forum, people start having better sleep around 2-3 weeks off and you are getting there. Hopefully, the next few nights will be better.
Have you ever tried low dose melatonin? I have used that, as it is a hormone that is produced by the pineal gland in the brain to tell your body it is night and time to sleep. Many pilots use it. I had some crazy dreams, but I did sleep.

Take care, Robin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:19 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Thanks Robin.
I do in fact have some Melatonin--totally forgot. Maybe I'll take one with the Amitryp tonight. Yeah--I feel like one of these days I will walk out of the shadows of this thing. I just didnt know it cast such a long shadow!

Our Sponsors
 Post subject: Sleepless nights suck
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:53 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Hey Brian I Jumped 11 days ago from 8 and I am starting to feel like a human being again. Other then the fact I cant get more then 2 hours sleep per night. Your original post was some time ago so i was wondering how you did with the sleeping meds and if you could give me any advise. I taped the subs to the ceiling above my bed to remind me that I have done this to myself. I guess that is slightly on the sadistic side of things. I hope you are getting some sleep thanks and be healthy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:21 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hey ClearCrazy, I feel your pain.
I just did the high jump from 8mgs just 23 days ago and like you, my number one complaint right now is the insomnia and as a matter of fact I just got done whining about it over in the "Stopping Suboxone" thread where LadderTipper had some GREAT advice for me. She's got the smart on that one.

I personally have tried everything. Got some Ambien and it worked for the first 2-3 days and completely stopped working. Melatonin, Benedryl, Nyquil, Xanax, Ambien, you name it, I've tried it at least twice in the last 23 days and nunuvit worked! But like LadderTipper told me, it's juss been 23 days and I'm still healin'. By the way, the benedryl, for me, BAD idea. Don't know why but it normally put me right out, but after my jump? I felt like I was taped to the ceilin'.

-RJ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:20 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I have been on Sub for only 3 weeks now and am sleeping like a baby for the first time in a looong time.I am very very familiar with withdrawals,however,and what you are feeling is no different than any other opiate withdrawal.When I've tried hopelessly to kick opiates in the past,from experience,it took me a good month before I could sleep through the night.I would get to that stage lots and lots of times then screw up again.I know how it feels and it sucks and nothing works.Hence began my addiction to Xanax.Before long that became my substitute drug and i couldnt sleep without them until I settled in on the Sub.My only advice is-sleep will come,you just have to wait patiently.You will still wake up in the middle of the night for a while but it gradually become later and later.The only thing I would say is as hard as it is,dont fall into the trap I did by going from one thing to the next and becoming reliant on a med to sleep.Good luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:34 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Thanks Melijm,
More great advice. Yesterday after whining about not sleeping and gave it a good hard long thought and realized that at that moment, I basically felt, and was functioning no better nor no worse than had I had my usual 8 hour night's sleep and that more than anything I need to stop dwelling on how things USED to be and get USED to what IS. If I can have a great productive day and feel just fine after sleeping just 4 hours, so be it. I've just got to find stuff to do with the extra time I have now. Ironic, I've gotten exactly what I've asked for :-) I can't tall y'all how many times I've constantly bitched and complained "there's not enough hours in the day!" Well, I just got some more.
-RJ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:08 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Rsj...I bet as soon as you come to terms with it and accept it,you will sleep.LOL.I just hope you can avoid having to rely on something to make you sleep because eventually you will have to wean off of THAT.Just let your body adjust on its own.Thats what started my Xanax addiction.Just took it at night to sleep,then tried it earlier in the evening,then late afternoon etc...yoiu get the picture.Before you know it,I was taking 3-4X what was prescribed and taking them as soon as I got up till I went to bed.We are addicts and its so easy to substitute one for the other so its best to avoid benzos all together.They are harder to get off than heroin.Good luck!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:16 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey Rsj,

Before I got off of opiates, I could sleep all I wanted, anywhere I wanted, anytime I wanted. To use a term another member here coined, I was a "sleep whore" too!! I LOVED my sleep!! But, like you, I discovered that I could function at a very high level with very little sleep. I didn't like the fact that I was only getting a few hours of sleep a night, but it didn't seem to affect me negatively.....other than my crappy attitude about it.

Believe it or not, it gets better.....it takes for-effin'-ever, but it gets better. I easily sleep over 8 hours a night now. I honestly NEVER thought I would see 8 hours of sleep a night again once I quit opiates, but here I am!!

Keep being patient, you're doing great.