It is currently Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:08 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

My fiance because addicted to pain pills after he hurt his back at work and had to have surgery. that was before my time with him but he has been, what i feel to be, rather open with me about that part of his life. he has told me about snorting and injecting Roxys in the past. He has been Suboxone for about a year and is donw to one and a half 8mg/2mg Suboxone a day from where he started at two and a half a day at induction. He has done pretty well in the time we have been together but i noticed some disturbing marks on his arms when he came home last weekend. He works away from our house and stays at our camp during the week (Mon, Tues and Wed nights). He came home this past Thursday evening and i would have sworn that he was on something and then i noticed the bruises that looked to be old injectoins and one that i would have thought was probably from that day. Over the weekend (Friday to Monday morning) i would say that he was clean and only taking his suboxone and all the marks started to fade away.

I am not an addict and never have been. I have smoked weed a few times in my life and the worst addiction that i have ever had is to cigarettes and i have quit those for almost 9 years now. I have never had people in my life that have been addicted to pain pills. Yes i have dealt with addiction before with other family members and friends but not with anything this heavy. So i dont understand what injecting Roxys does to you OR what injecting Roxys while taking Suboxone does to you. I am trying hard to understand and read as much as i possibly can to understand so that i can support him through this and help him get back on the right path.

I have not confronted him about the marks on his arms yet. i want my facts and info before i do so that i can approach it the best way possible and not lose some one that i love so dearly.

Can some one please give me some insight and help me understand as much as possible. i want him to be the best that he can be for himself, for his son and for me and our life together. i know THIS is not the answer and i need some help with info to help me figure out how to help him get back on the road he wants to be on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:47 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Well, its a known fact that you cannot get high on other opiates while on suboxone. In order for him to get high from shooting up he would have to stop taking his subs for a few days atleast before he would even feel anything, and your husband knows this. He could shoot 100 bags of the strongest dope in the world and not feel anything while on suboxone. So you should be making sure he takes his sub if you can, that way you know hes not using.

And I hate to say it, but if you think that hes using, then he almost certainly is. I know that you love him and you want to believe that hes not, but if an addict gives you a reason to suspect that their using than they most likely are.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:11 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

leroyjenkem wrote:
Well, its a known fact that you cannot get high on other opiates while on suboxone. In order for him to get high from shooting up he would have to stop taking his subs for a few days atleast before he would even feel anything, and your husband knows this.

That's not true for everyone. In the past when I used to use on Suboxone, I could shoot heroin 12-24 hours after my dose and get an effect. Perhaps it's owed to my fast metabolism, but I was using with other people who were on Sub and they could do the same.

Also, I know people who used large amounts of heroin to "override" the buprenorphine even hours after their dose. I'm talking large hits (1.7grams usually) and they would be really smashed.

As an ex IV drug user, the signs you're speaking off are concerning. Bruises and marks on the arm are a big tell-tale sign of using and there's no real way to justify them. Whether or not he's getting much of an effect isn't that relevant because even if the Sub is giving him blockade, if he's motivated to use he'll start skipping his doses to get more of an effect.

If I were you, try and watch him take his Suboxone. I know it's not possible all the time, but if you can be sure he's taking it each day at least you'll know he'll get less effect should he choose to use 12 hours later. It'll also provide insurance against overdose.

Finally (and importantly) you gotta confront him about it. The ol relapse scenario is pretty serious stuff and can do a lot of damage to him and you and your relationship if it continues unchallenged. Even threaten to leave him if he doesn't get honest and talk about it seriously. If he's faced with the consequences of losing all that's important, it may be enough to rattle his addiction back in the cage. While this often doesn't work if a person's not on Suboxone and lost in the insanity of using, if he's taking his Sub he's not getting the full level of effect from the roxy there's still a decent chance he can think a bit rationally about his choices. Is using and getting a fraction of the effect he wants from it REALLY worth losing what's important?

Good luck and let us know how you go.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject: Injecting Roxy's
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:19 pm 

Hi Sweet's Old Lady and welcome to the forum. Your situation doesn't sound very good. You said he's been fairly open with you about his past addiction problems, then why can't you bring the subject up again? I know you don't want to start a fight or hurt his feelings because of distrust but you deserve to know exactly what is going on. You know darn well he's been shooting up and not telling you about it. It's time to pull the curtain back and deal with the problem head on.

If you really plan on marrying this man then you are taking a large chance of having a marriage filled with drug issues. Be prepared for a whole lot of pain. We addicts are very good at ruining good relationships by stealing, lying, running up the credit cards to the max, risk our very lives to get our drugs, etc, the list goes on and on.

My suggestion is for you two to go see an Addiction Therapist, hopefully a family one that can help you two see what is in store if he keeps using. He needs to stay on his Suboxone and nothing else. And doesn't his Suboxone Dr. demand that he seek some kind of recovery program like NA or AA? Most of them do but some don't and they are supposed to do that for all their Sub patients.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but your relationship is in deep trouble. If I were you, I wouldn't marry him until he is at least 2 years clean on Suboxone and has a good recovery program to work every day. That is only my opinion so take it or ignore it. It would just be terrible to see you get married and then all hell breaks loose. And even if he does all that mentioned above it doesn't make him immune to a relapse. I've relapsed and it almost cost me my marriage of 21 years. So think hard if you really want this for life. He may do just fine, you know him better than we do.

Welcome once more and feel free to post anymore questions.

Rule

Post subject: IV while on Suboxone
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:39 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

leroyjenkem wrote:
Well, its a known fact that you cannot get high on other opiates while on suboxone. In order for him to get high from shooting up he would have to stop taking his subs for a few days atleast before he would even feel anything, and your husband knows this. He could shoot 100 bags of the strongest dope in the world and not feel anything while on suboxone. So you should be making sure he takes his sub if you can, that way you know hes not using.

And I hate to say it, but if you think that hes using, then he almost certainly is. I know that you love him and you want to believe that hes not, but if an addict gives you a reason to suspect that their using than they most likely are.

I got concerned when I read you reply.

I have read well documented reports where people have accidentally overdosed while taking suboxone by trying to get high by using other opiates.

They may not get high as you said, but if one were to do too many "bags" of the strongest dope in the world, one could have severe problems, like stopping breathing because although the person may not feel the euphoria/high from the dope due to the blocking effects suboxone has, the other opiates are still having other effects on their system besides the "high" effect, and can cause an overdose.
Suboxone + other opiates can be deadly :!:

Synonyms:

UM-952;Lepetan;rx6029m;Subutex;Temgesi;Buprenex;NIH-8805;Temgesic;CL-112302;Buprenorfin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:09 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Any updates?

Unfortunately the others are right. What you describe sounds like typical relapse using. Also, usually when you suspect someone is on something, they are. You know when he's high.. it's just that your mind is trying really hard to rationalize other reasons for why he might be acting strange. The tracks are a legit give away. Bruises usually occur when someone hasn't been shooting up for a while so my guess is that he probably just started to use again or does it so infrequently that he is still bruising.