It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Injectable bupe chip
PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:33 pm 
Do you think when they come out with that injectable bupe that lasts 6 months it will eventualy phase out suboxone tablets/film? Its got me concerned the nurse at my appointment yesterday was telling me about it and it seems like she thought it was a realy good idea. If that were to happen I would quit suboxone and go to methadone for sure. For one I dont trust the idea of having 6 months worth of a strong opioid in my system like that, what if the chip somehow malfunctioned and instead of releasing it slowly over time it broke or something and it flooded your system. And the other reason is whos to say you would have a stable dose every single day, I dont think pharm companies would be able to make something that precise sounds to complicated. I realy hope this doesnt happen, they are so hung up on people abusing suboxone when it doesnt even happen much at all. They dont give a shit about the full agonists tho you dont see them making any new injectable chip for them, why do they have to ruin it for us suboxone users because one or 2 dumbasses abuse it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:09 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I also read about this not to long ago. and i agree i think it would take way to much time and money to make this perfect and work the way they want it too. and im sorry but nobody is putting a chip in my body after useing suboxone orally for 4 years. i would also switch to methadone if this happen cause im not takeing a risk of wakeing up one day and the chip malfuncions and im in the ER! I also think even if this did come out we as paients should have a choice if we want to stick with the film or pills.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:45 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

There a couple things out there that I have heard discussed, neither lasting near as long as six months-- but maybe you both are familiar with something else. There is a product called 'probuphine' (by King pharmaceuticals maybe? I can't remember...) that would consist of a depot form of buprenorphine. There are a number of other medications with depot forms in psychiatry, including antipsychotics that have either oil-based or water-based formulations. They last from 2-4 weeks.

R-B bought up some Tennessee company a while back that had an interesting product; it was a liquid that could be injected, and then became a gel that slowly dissolved under the skin. The cool thing was that if you wanted it removed early, you could make a small incision and pull it out with a forceps.

There is a long-lasting form of naltrexone that is used by those rapid detox places; I don't know if there will be something similar for buprenorphine.

I tend to believe in capitalism, at least if the things that screw it up are kept out of the way. In other words, it would be best if people were allowed to choose the 'better mousetrap.' But especially in the field of addiction, there are plenty of people who feel the need to step in and protect people from themselves, making the decisions about what is best FOR them. The main advantage that I see to an injectable would be for those who want to taper. Now, people get to a low point and then start taking higher doses again, once they realize that they can get a buzz from a full dose. I like the idea of a shot, then you're done... but only for the people who are committed to taking a shot off buprenorphine-- something I don't generally recommend.