Our Sponsors

Does your Suboxone produce euphoria?
Yes 62%  62%  [ 47 ]
No 38%  38%  [ 29 ]
Total votes : 76
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 7:56 am 
New Poster
New Poster

I just started taking Suboxone today to help me quit Codeine and Dextromethorphan, its allready working a treat with minimal side effects. Still get the mild occasional craving but its ever so managable. I was just wondering, the Suboxone itself feels like a really really mild high (of course being an opiate) but im wondering how long i will get this small buzz for after dosing. Also how far into treatment do i form a tolerance and get no effect from it at all?
Any advice is welcome, im so glad i have been put on this, i feel a little less hopeless and alot more free!
Thanx Shaneth

Post subject: not for long
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 10:29 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

You will be lucky if you get the same felling on the second dose.
For me, it only happened the first time.
So the key is to be off the pain pills for about 2 days before taking the suboxone.
My body got used to the suboxone quick, so after day two it just helped for my withdraw only.
But that what it is made to do.

Post subject: Suboxone and Euphoria
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 12:48 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Suboxone does have the ability to produce euphoria in limited situations. The main reasons are in a person who is opiate naive and the Suboxone is powerful enough to provide a euphoric feeling. The second is when an addict is transitioning to Suboxone and has a fairly low tolerance (e.g. taking 5x5mg hydrocodone per day will most likely feel something from their first few doses but that will quickly disappear and you will simply feel normal after those initial doses). Always be honest with your Suboxone doc during the induction process so that you are started at an appropriate dose. In case you were wondering a dose of suboxone whether it be 2mg or 16 mg in general is equivalent to about 30 mg of Methadone, or 50-75 mg of oxycodone. So, you can kind of judge where your tolerance is in comparison to the strength of a Suboxone dose before you begin. But, for the majority of moderate to heavy users of opiates Suboxone will produce no euphoria , it will simply stop the withdrawal symptoms as long as you are in mild/moderate withdrawal when you take your first dose. If you dose too soon you may run the risk of precipitated withdrawal which is quite unpleasant. Just search "precipitated withdrawal" to find more info on this issue.
Stay safe!
-jp04

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 2:12 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I have found Suboxone to be more euphoric at lower doses - like under 4mgs. When I first started it I was on a higher dose, 16mgs, and if I took that all at once I would totally nod out (but it didn't make me sick). So I dosed twice a day and that was fine.

Nowadays I don't feel anything but relief when I dose, but that's cause I'm getting toward the end of my taper. But I always felt the Sub when I took it - I'd have less pain and a bit more energy, and I'd be more talkative.

-Jack Kornfield

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:24 am 
New Poster
New Poster

I've been on suboxone for 4 days now and I get mile euphoria every time for a few hours. I'm only on 4mg a day coming off of a 15-20 a day hydro 10 addiction that lasted about a year. I've had no side effects (other than occasional itching and decreased libido) and I feel fantastic!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:51 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

When I started Suboxone I had been off opiates completely for a little while and still didn't get any euphoric feelings it did feel like an opiate in that it got rid of the acute withdrawal symptoms I was experiencing and calmed me down quite a bit but I could literally feel the fact that bupe is only a partial agonist. I'm actually glad though that it felt different to me than other opiates as I felt really safe taking it from the get go. Within just a couple days I couldn't tell a difference after taking a dose at all and there's even been times I've forgotten to take my Sub when I was dosing in the afternoon (how many times did that happen with a full agonist?) I've switched to dosing in the morning subsequently because I seem less likely to forget after getting into a routine.