It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:40 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hi and thank you for taking the time to read my post! It really means a lot to me. I'm new here, so if I'm breaking any rules or anything, please let me know, and I also apologize in the event that I manage to do that somehow.

Anyway, I am 24 years old, female, and I am an addict, as I'm sure you gathered...I was drinking loads of poppy pod tea which I know is an uncommon addiction to have as not many people know much about it...to tell you just a bit, the pods contain very small levels of morphine, however, when the pods are ground up into a powder and warmed in a pot on the stove for about twenty minutes, the morphine is extracted, along with other alkaloids as well that seem to potentiate those small amounts of morphine and can make one feel VERY similar to oxy or any other opiate for a LONG time- the half life of the tea is around 36 hours. I was no opiate newbie when I started this- I had been snorting morphine pills and oxy for a few months leading up to that, however I had not become dependent on/ addicted to optiates prior to having found poppy tea. It was love at first sight for me, though I would vomit profusely and itch myself into a half- sleep every night. I loved it. But I had been doing it for two years, dosing around 7-10 large pods worth of tea every day. I still don't know if I was ready to stop, but I was backed into a corner because the price of the pods had gone up, and I could no longer afford to support my habit. I had been thinking about Suboxone for a few months before this happened, and it sounded like a wonderful drug, plus I work with a couple of recovering heroin addicts that were on Suboxone for around a year, and they told me that it truly was a good experience. I was skeptical at first. I made a fast decision to start treatment, even though I was uncertain of whether or not I was truly ready to do so. I know that I would LOVE for it to work. I would love to not have cravings and to not think about tea all day, and to just be myself again, even though I was never sure that I liked that person anyway. I have suffered from anxiety, depression, and I have scoliosis which causes my back to ache pretty badly, which is what got me started on opiates in the first place.

Anywho, sorry for rambling. I was inducted yesterday, at home, after a terrible 31 hours of withdrawal (I wanted to hold out longer, but I couldn't do it. I was crawling out of my goosefleshed skin, and felt about ready to poop myself, sorry for TMI). I took 2mg at a time, and waited an hour and a half before I took more. I started to feel relief almost immediately! It was amazing! After I had still felt at around 75% of 'normal' at 4 mgs, I took another 1, and seemed to be almost all better, except my legs were still hurting, which I wasn't sure if that was due to withdrawal because everything else was in good shape. So I ended up taking 6mgs. I felt great. I felt normal, I wasn't thinking about tea, I was so relieved I started to cry. I couldn't believe how good I felt.

I took the day off work yesterday to do this. I tried to go back today, still not feeling physically shitty. I felt fine, physically. However, (I am a waitress), I found myself forgetting that I had tables, unable to focus, and making small errors that I haven't made since I started serving when I was around 18 years old. I had to leave. I just couldn't work as well as I had when I was drinking tea. Now, I know that this is something that I am going to have to adapt to, but will this feeling subside? Did anyone else feel a little 'off' their first day on the Sub? I am worried that my anxiety and depression are going to flare up...I didn't really feel anxious, though, just a bit foggy headed. I feel fantastic otherwise and everything else is great. Any advice for me? Or is it something that I am just going to have to tough out? It's not bad, but I just worry that I will make less money/ get fired for being spacey and forgetful. I have the next five days in a row off, so will I be ready to go back to work and do well after I have adjusted to the medication? I know that no one will have an exact answer for me, but I would really appreciate if anyone could comment, anything at all. Thanks for reading all of this, I really appreciate it.

Post subject: welcome!
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:10 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hi Melsie,

Welcome to the site. You have not done anything wrong posting where you have, as a matter a fact, you did everything perfectly.

I have heard of a few people getting addicted to poppy pod tea, and have also heard that the withdrawals from it are quite horrible. I know you said you were not sure if you were really ready to start recovery, and don't feel badly about that, I'm not sure that any of us are ever ready. Even though oxy were literally killing me, I was terrified to stop taking them and could not imagine that any drug, even Sub which I had read about, would be able to help me. I honestly thought I would die addicted to oxy.

As for your side effects of feeling foggy, I felt like that also when I first started and I promise you it will go away, at least it did for me. You may also find, once your receptors are flooded with Sub, your second week you may not have to take as much, but try and get stable on your dose for now. Some people find if they spit out their saliva, after the Sub has melted, it gets rid of any lingering side effects, so you could try that if you still feel foggy headed tomorrow. I am quite certain, that after a week on Sub, you will feel "normal". I feel better than I have in years, and am so grateful that I am finally on Sub and off oxycontin.

Please keep posting and keep us updated on how you are doing. I am sure you will find this forum full of supportive people. It's a little quiet right now, but I am sure there will be others along shortly.

Take care,
Ginger

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:20 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Thank you so much for your reply ginger! That was really fast:)

I'm so glad that I am not the only one that has felt this way. I just wanted reassurance that it would go away at some point, and it also really made me feel good to hear that others also felt a bit anxious about stopping their drug of choice (I knew this to be a fact, but just hearing it again makes me feel better, less alone). I have been spitting out the saliva after the pill dissolves; I have been lurking this forum and have read just about everything here about the medication/ side effects, ways of taking the meds, etc, so I did learn that spitting was the way to go:) I have a bit of a headache, though, and also, my legs still hurt a bit, but I have read that some people, if they do experience side effects, will notice the side effects diminishing over the first week or so of treatment.

I really don't feel bad- just....different, which was to be expected. I will say that I feel better than I expected to feel, and that I truly hope to adapt to the Suboxone well, and to keep using it. For me, it was either Suboxone, or pills, or heroin, or go bankrupt, lose my job, get kicked out of my apartment, have to leave my boyfriend, and move back in with my family. I think that I made the right choice, hard as it was to do. I am so happy to have found this forum, and will try to continue posting here. Maybe someday I can even help other people (I want to be a substance abuse counselor when I 'grow up'). But for now, I guess I'll be needing the help. Thanks for your reply, it really means a lot to me that a stranger would take time out of their day to help me. I have been lucky to have most things go so smoothly, and to have the support that I have. Thank you:)

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:59 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Melsie and welcome to the forum. It's always good to see a previous lurker decide to register and post. We're glad you're here. I hope you find lots of support and empathy here.

Like Ginger said, that "loopy" feeling, as I call it, should subside in a couple or a few days. Hopefully by the time you get back to work you should feel just fine, if not better. Just give yourself some time to stabilize and get your receptors flooded with the suboxone. Once you're above the ceiling limit you should be great. At least that's how I understand it.

When I started suboxone 18 months ago it was because my drug abuse landed me in the psych ward. I did not choose to go into recovery/remission. I went kicking and screaming! And look at me now...I've been "clean" (I hate that word) all this time and relapse-free. So just because you think you might not have been ready to stop using doesn't mean you can't succeed. I wish you all the best.

Again, welcome and please keep us posted on how you're doing.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:49 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Thank you so much Hatmaker! I've read a lot of your posts and you seem to be a very nice person, very helpful. I'm glad to have heard from you!

Wow, your story is crazy! I am thrilled that you are doing well, given the circumstances that you were in. You were given no choice, yet you are doing well- that really inspires me a lot. While I wasn't in your situation, or close to it even, I still feel that anxiety, that uncertainty, and a bit of hopelessness, but reading these posts has helped me to feel better. I am giving this a chance- I have to. I want it to work. I want to be a normal person and be able to lead a somewhat more 'standard' existence. Thanks for giving me a bit of hope. You were worse off than me, yet you survived it and you're still here to tell us about it and to help us. I really appreciate it. Thank you:) You just made me feel a LOT better. So did ginger. I can't express how much it means to me that you guys are so supportive. Thank you.

I do happen to have another, small issue....my legs feel like I have RLS. I can NOT get this to go away. Is this a side effect of the Suboxone? Or did I not take enough of it? It seems to feel better when I take my Subs...but that could just be my imagination. Also, small headache, which I have read about, and am confident will go away soon. But has anyone felt that creepy, crawly leg annoyance? I can't sit still! But other than that, like I said, I feel better than I thought I would. Had a rough day, but made it without using, or really even being too tempted to do so. I'll think about it, and dismiss the thought right away. Crazy. This does what it's supposed to do! I am very glad to have this opportunity, though I may think otherwise at times. Thank you both very much:)

Post subject: rls
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:45 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hi again Melsie,

In my opinion if you are having rls, it is NOT from the Sub. You may need a little more Sub to get rid of ALL your withdrawal symptoms. What dose did your doctor suggest? I am only asking because I would not want you to take more sub thatn prescribed to you and then run out. BUT, if you are taking less than prescribed, I think you would benefit from taking a little more. Try 2 mg and see if that makes a difference. I know I still had some lingering withdrawal symptoms but did not want to take more Sub, but it got so awful, I finally gave in and I took 2mg extra and it made a huge difference.

If you are concerned about keeping your Sub dose low, or have not been presribed more than you are taking, you should maybe call your Sub doc and let him know that you are still experiencing some withdrawals. If it is you that is worried about your Sub dose, I think you will find that once you get over the first week, when your DOC gets out of your system, and your receptors are flooded with Sub, that you will be able to take less Sub by the second week. Because of the long half life of Sub, which I believe is 36 hours, it builds up in your system, so once you get stable, you will probably be able to lower your dose. So, for now, the goal is to get rid of your withdrawals, so try the 2mg and see how you feel.

I am glad to hear you have been reading a lot of the different threads here. There is so much great information here and I think it's the best Sub site on the internet. I see you have read many of hatmakers posts, and I agree with you, she is so awesome. She is one of the main reasons this forum is so good. She really genuinely cares about all of us and does her best to help and support everyone and answer our endless questions.

We also have live chat meetings every Monday night and Thursday afternoon. If you have the time, you should join us. It's really nice to have a place to talk about whatever you need help with. It's a safe place that you can be honest and everyone is there to support each other. Anyway, if you are available during these times, I hope you can make it. That is another thing hatmaker does so well. She runs the meetings here and is always there if you need guidance or support. I have the awesome opportunity today, that there were only three of us at chat. I went in to chat feeling very overwhelmed with stuff that is going on in my life and left chat feeling so much better and more confidant to make some positive changes.

You can ask pretty much anything here, there is not much we don't talk about. Someone will have gone through a similiar experience that you need advice or help with.

Take care, and ask as many questions as you need. I hope you feel better soon,

Take care,
Ginger

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:32 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Again, thank you ginger, you are so nice to me:)

Welp, my doctor, unfortunately, happened to be one of those that sent the sub home instead of inducting in the office. I wasn't even withdrawing yet the day of the intake because I wasn't told that I would need to be. He prescribed 2mgX60, saying that he would rather 'shoot low' than 'shoot high' because he knew nothing about my drug of choice, and thus had no idea what would be a good starting dose for me.

So it was basically left up to my discretion. Between 1AM yesterday and 1AM today (24 hours) I believe I have taken around 12mgs.... I did not want to take this much. I only wanted to take 4mgs. I was astounded that I would need anymore than that. After I had taken 6mgs and felt MUCH better than what I had felt prior to the sub, I decided that it was enough. However, it seems that the RLS has subsided a bit more every single time I have taken more Suboxone. It's still bothering me a bit, but I do NOT want to take any more. I can't afford to take any more, honestly. I'm already late on my rent because I opted to begin treatment (I knew it was now or never). I know that's a shit excuse when I feel like garbage, but I honestly do NOT want to be taking any more than 4mg a day. Maybe I should just take what makes me feel normal now and worry about reducing the dose later. I have enough on my mind. My script won't be as expensive within a few months; insurance will cover more of it for some reason that I fail to understand, so that it will only cost me around 75-100$....
I'm confused about what dose I should be on. The doctor was not in his office today, so I couldn't call him. I think I will tomorrow. I want to stop that crap feeling of withdrawal, and I think that finally, after 12mgs, I feel better. My legs are still a little sore, but I can deal with them being in this condition, especially since I don't work for the next few days. Sorry to talk so much...

I just am astounded that I didn't realize I had been in withdrawal all day long. How the hell do you not know something like that? My pupils, also, were still rather large, and I just thought that that was normal, too. That's probably why I felt so weird, anyway...
Again, sorry to make you read so much. Thanks for taking the time to help me. You were right about everything. You guys are so smart and helpful! I really, really appreciate it a lot. Can't say it enough:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:38 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Sorry to double post...

I just wanted to agree with you that this forum is great. I had read other less...savory forums centered around recovery with Suboxone, and this one struck me as the most truthful, and the one that put the most important things first, and I am glad that I decided to keep lurking here. I have been debating this decision for months now, and honestly, because of you guys, I was able to decide that this was the right option for me. So you have helped me more than you even realize. I've read practically everything here, lol. I scarcely come across any negativity here and that is very important to me. You guys seem to have this ability to acknowledge reality without being pessimistic, and I need that right now:)

I may very well be able to make one of those live chats. I work both of those days, but Monday I get off early, so I will certainly try to read it. Might be too shy to participate at first, though you're doing a great job of making me feel comfortable. Thank you.

Post subject: Welcome!!
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:52 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi Melsie - First, I want to congratulate you on taking the steps to getting your life back. As corny as that sounds...it is SO true. Second, I want to welcome you to a very wonderful site. The people here are terrific. I haven't been on Sub for very long....however, the first day I started, I too noticed the RLS. And to this day, I am still not completely sure if it is RLS, or not. What I do know is with in about a week or so, it started to ease up. Up until I read your post, I hadn't really noticed anyone else having this issue....so, I am relieved to see that I am not losing my mind...but, NOT relieved to know that we are having to deal with it. I still have the leg twitches, and aches in my legs, similar to those of W/D's, but I have also noticed that with being on Subs, I am more active, and actually crawl out of my house, and started joining society a little more...lol!! So, with time, I think that will start to ease up on us. Like I said, it is nowhere near what they were in the begining. I did finally have to take some Advil along with the Subs, but, the doctor said it was ok. And believe me, had you told me to take an Advil, back when I was on my DOC...I would have laughed you right out of the room. :lol:

As for feeling "foggy" you have to remember that your body is adjusting to quite a bit right now, and you just have to try to be a bit patient. When I first started on Subs, I actually couldn't remember how I felt, before taking my DOC, so the thought of being "normal" was pretty foreign to me. All I knew was I felt better, and did NOT have ANY cravings when I left the doctor's office. I do remember being VERY tired...and part of that was from getting myself so worked up over giving up my DOC. I was worried that I would miss that "feeling" so to speak, and couldn't even imagine ANYTHING could take that craving away....so, when I left the doctor's office, and didn't even have the desire for another pill....I knew I was on the right track. I did also learn this.....the doctor started me on 8mg of Sub....then another 4mg while I was in his office...then he had me take another 8mg that night. That is 20mg in all. Then, the next day he said to take 8mg in the AM, and another 8mg in the PM. So, I was pretty confused, because he has me take 20mg the day before...however, what I found out with this medication is this....when you first start out, the key is to take enough to get rid of the W/D's and the cravings, and then...once you are stable, you can lower the dose, enough, to where you are still NOT craving, or having W/D's...in other words, eventually the key is to be on the lowest dose possible, and still be comfortable, if that makes sense?? I have only been on Subs for about 4 weeks, but I am down to around 8 to 10mgs per day, depending on my pain issues. Now that I am pretty stable on it....I can focus on why I ended up where I am, and work towards a more positive being.

Once again, congratulations!!!! Give yourself some time to adjust, and continue with the positive attitude, like you have, and you will do just fine. And like you said earlier, even though you may NOT have been totally prepared to make the "jump off your DOC...you did, and see how much better you already feel. Hang in there, and keep posting. Take care...Lisa

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:09 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Thank you lisa!

I'm surprised that you also have experienced the same issue. Now I am confused as to whether or not I took too much Suboxone. I am thinking about trying 4-6mgs tomorrow and seeing how that goes before taking any more. I feel great now, after having taken 12mgs, and the RLS has subsided, but not completely fled my body. Welp, I guess I'm ready to deal with that as a possible side effect. Honestly, as obnoxious as it is, I can deal with it because everything else has been so great so far, and I want this to work. I didn't think I did in the beginning, but I know now that this is for the best. I'm glad that others have felt unprepared for their own recovery. It seems like such an odd thing to be glad for, but the elasticity of the human will never fails to amaze me. How some of you have gone from being terrified and even downright unwilling to begin treatment to being proponents for the medication and doing so well- well, I think it's a testament to both the strength of the will, and the success and freedom that this medication can offer a person, seemingly regardless of circumstance/ confidence. I keep feeling better. It's crazy. I am baffled at how I could feel this way right now. It's not 'easy', but it's easier than I had ever dreamed that it could be. I find myself saying cheesy things haha. I am not that type of person, but these things are true...

You were not out of your mind, and I am glad to know that neither am I (well, at least when it comes to the RLS;)! Thank you for your help and your support. You are all wonderful and I am glad to have your support, and you all have mine. I know we can do it if we really want it (or maybe even if we don't, haha:)

Post subject: poppy tea!
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:08 am 
Hi Mesie and welcome - I'm so glad you posted your story. I also have a lot of experience with poppy tea, which I consumed in large quantities during periods when I didn't have access to pills. I can assure you that it is not "weak", as it contains dozens of active alkaloids, morphine, codeine, thebane, paperavine, etc. It's really the closest thing we can get to true opium in this country. I used to nod for hours on it. Anyway, knowing what I know about the tea I would definately say your symptoms are from withdrawal, as you're coming off a high dose of opiate with a low dose of Sub. I too, worried that I didn't want to start on too high a dose, but you can always taper down gradually once you stabilize (I did). Also, it did take me a couple of weeks to fully adjust to the sub. So you have a lot of substances still leaving your body, you're probably still in low level WD, and it takes a few days to adjust. Hopefully you can work with your doc to find the best dose, and I think you will be feeling better really soon.

I'm glad you decided to get in recovery. I think the DEA is getting ready to come down on the poppy trade, (the skyrocketing price of pods is a result of this) and you're getting out of it before getting into trouble. Not to mention how hard it is to function when you're that impaired. I"m glad you brought up the topic because I know there are a lot of "tea drinkers" out there, and there may be other lurkers wondering if they can get treatment.

I hope you feel better soon and congratulations on your recovery.
Lilly

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:44 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey Melsie:

Welcome to the forum! Congratulations on making a good decision to take control of your life back from that evil poppy-pod tea. Yes, I've heard of it before. But I've never had the opportunity to use it, and to be honest, I hope I never do.

I wanted to address your question from your first post where you asked if people felt foggy-headed after starting suboxone. For me, the answer is a definite YES. First few days on the medication, to be really honest, I was high as a kite. And this concerned me a bit because knowing myself, I knew that if I was just trading one high for another, this was not going to be the drug for me. But after about a week that feeling of being high after taking my suboxone went away and I started to feel -dare I say- "normal" (whatever the hell that is LOL) once again.

Fast forward about 18 months and I can tell you that on 8mg daily, I feel fine. I'm in a very highly technical and complicated business (I run an I.T. Department for a large technology company) and I function just fine at work with dozens of projects going and dozens of staff members reporting directly to me. So, try to settle in to your medication and don't worry about how you feel right now, I am pretty sure that you will feel fine within a relatively short time frame and if you don't then make sure you talk to your doctor about it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:29 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Lily- oh, I know about all those alkaloids! That was my predominant worry with this treatment- that the Suboxone wouldn't cover the absence of all of them, which (you are right) at first, it didn't seem to. I believe now that I was in withdrawal until I got up to about 11- 12mgs, though I didn't realize it until it was too late. I think that you are right about the DEA. I think that this isn't as well kept of a secret as it used to be, and yeah, people like me talking openly about it isn't good for the people still using the tea, and honestly, I worry that many people will be without their fix because of the laws suddenly changing, or actually being enforced. However, I hope that anyone that was left without their pods would decide to go the Suboxone route, at least for a few weeks, probably much longer than that. I really hope that someone will read what we've written and maybe realize that there is help available to them- that is partially why I posted in the first place (though it was mostly selfishly motivated by my need for information...). I would like to say that I DO feel substantially better today (day 2.5/ 3), and that I actually do feel normal. I can't tell if I'm getting a buzz- I just feel as if I had taken my standard dose of tea- the one that enabled me to function without getting high really. Is that normal?

Anyway, I was experiencing some obnoxious RLS for a while there, and that has subsided almost entirely now! I am experiencing less mood swings/ anxiety, and overall, feel about as close to normal as I think I'm going to get. It's great. It took a few days, and it will probably take other people longer- but everyone here was 100% right- you WILL feel better. Hang in there if it's tough for the first few days or weeks. It will be just fine. Honestly, if it wasn't for you guys, I may have gone back to the pods in those first few days. I had a couple of usable ones somewhere around here (boyfriend hid them, luckily, I have NO idea where they are, and didn't look longer than 5 seconds). Your help has been invaluable to me!

I do happen to have one more question- I have back pain. I know that I have been numbing it for years, and that switching to a partial agonist is likely to bring it out a bit more than when I was on a full agonist, but I have found that it feels just fine after I take my Subs. I would like to say that this is in my head, but I'm 99% sure that I couldn't imagine that sort of obnoxious pain. It's not debilitating, but enough to make me toss and turn a while before I fall asleep at night, or keep me shifting in my chair. Now, I have read here that it is best to take all of the Suboxone tablets at the same time every day. However, for me, the analgesia from the Suboxone does NOT seem to last nearly as long as it does for the purpose that it's intended, if that makes sense. I searched a bit last night, and I found a bit of information to back that up.

Now- is it cool to take, like say, half of my dose in the morning and then maybe 1/4 of it after work and then 1/4 before bed? This has seemed to be the best method of curbing that pain. However, I would survive if this wasn't a good idea, and I should be going about it differently. Okay, sorry to type so much you guys! I love to type, if you haven't figured that out already. I just have to start to take into account that some people don't like to read...

Thanks again for everything! I appreciate anyone who has read my posts, and appreciate everyone who is replying to me. You are the best. I didn't think I would get this kind of help, and am still thrilled that there are some strangers out there who are willing to take the time out of their day to help me. You're great!:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:32 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Sorry again to double post, but it'll be short, promise!

Junkie- thanks for your help! You have a MUCH more demanding job than I do! You have made me feel so much better about going back to work. I think that I may even do that Monday instead of Wednesday. I think I'll be ready then. It's always good to know that others have felt that way and managed to get over it at some point. Thank you very much:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:45 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Melsie, I take suboxone not only for addiction but also for pain. I dose two or three times a day. You're correct, suboxone's pain control properties only last about 4-8 hours, so dosing more often WILL help with the pain. The reason it's better to only dose once per day is to get us addicts out of the habit of taking a pill when we don't feel quite right. But there are those like me whose doctor actually has us dosing more than once daily.

Just wanted to throw that out there. If you have any questions about using it for pain relief, just ask.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:25 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Thank you again, hatmaker, for the quick response! Really appreciate it!

You know, I never really thought about the whole 'getting out of the cycle of pill- taking' thing...it doesn't apply to me. I was drinking two cups of tea (three tops) every day. Though I WAS in the cycle of 'putting this shit in my belly will make me feel super', so I guess that I could still be in the habit of taking a substance and feeling relief.

I am happy to hear that you do the same thing. I think that unless I hear otherwise from a doctor, that I will keep it up. I will try to reduce my pill taking to twice a day. But not yet; maybe tomorrow. The back problem is the only irritation that I am suffering at this point and I am glad of it. I used to get along just fine seven, eight years ago before I discovered narcotics, and I think that if I suck it up, I can handle it again, though my sensitivity to pain has likely increased tenfold...

Thank you for making me feel better, again! Every one of you has made me feel better. Don't know what I would be doing right now without you- you are all awesome. If I happen to have any more questions, I feel more than comfortable asking you guys for help. I will keep you posted if I happen to think of anything else. Thank you again for everything!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:33 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hi melsie,

I am happy to hear that you are doing well. I wanted to let you know that Sub works really well for my pain issues. When I was dosing once a day, I found by late afterrnoon my pain levels were through the roof. Once I started dosing twice a day and some days three times a day, Sub covered my pain issues really well. For me, I found that small doses of 2 to 4 mg every 4 to 6 hours worked the best, but again everyone is different so find the dose that works best for you.

It's also awesome that you find this forum as helpful and supportive as I have. I know for a fact that I would not be doing as well as I am on Sub if it were not for this forum and all the guidance and great advice I have gotten here. I find more support here than I do in 'real' life, and I am so thankful to everyone here.

I am glad you found us and hope you stick around!

Ginger

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:09 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi Melsie,
We're both on about the same time frame, so I thought I would chime in even though I don't have as much experience with this as most of the posters above. I started Suboxone 9 days ago, and did feel a little strange for the first couple of days. I think you may have started a bit low with your dose. My Doc had me start at 8 mg a day for 3 days, and then drop to 4 mg for 3 days etc. I did not have any RLS or any other withdrawal symptoms which really amazed me. I was so thrilled and still am to have escaped the horrors of a full opiate detox. i was taking 200 mg of oxy a day. I'm not sure how that compares with the tea you were taking, but they were probably pretty equal except for the longer half life of your pods.

I'm glad you're starting to feel better. It's probably because the suboxone is loading up on your receptors now. you might have avoided it if you had started at a higher dose, but that's behind you now. I am now down to 2 mg a day and although I still feel pretty good, the end is near for me because my doc doesn't believe in taking suboxone for maintenance. He only prescribes for short 14 day tapers. I'm still undecided whether to follow his advice or find a new doc that will help me stay on subs for maintenance. There are pros and cons to both.

I wish you all the best, and will keep an eye on your progress.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:48 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Oh sorry guys! I didn't realize that anyone had replied to me- I thought I would get an email or something?? I'm new, please excuse me.

Ginger- again, thank you for your help. I have actually been feeling better and better as the days have gone by, and am very happy to report that my cravings are down to practically none at this point. I am also down to 5-6mgs of Suboxone daily, however, I am not sure that this is adequate for pain relief. I don't wish to increase my dose for financial purposes, and am kind of hoping that my body will just adapt to the change accordingly....is that unrealistic of me? While my pain isn't nearly as pronounced as it would be with no medication, it is still enough to make me a whiny baby when I wake up in the morning. I hope that I will be okay after work tomorrow night (my first day back to work). Whatever happens, I know that I can deal with it and that I can always fix or ease my issues if necessary. So worrying is pointless:) I will do what you suggest- taking my medication throughout the course of the day as pain worsens. I think the bulk of it will be consumed before my shift, and about 1/3-1/4 of it afterward. I'm thrilled to hear that it has been sufficient for you! Not only because it bodes well for me also, but because I don't want anyone to have to suffer physical pain. You have done so much for yourself, you don't deserve that.

You were all 100% right- I have felt better and better every single day and am so happy that I made the decision that I made. I feel like I can actually progress in life as opposed to being in a self induced vegetated state! Tackling the boredom will be the most monumental task that I am faced with, but I know that I can do it. Luckily my addiction hadn't gotten to the point where I had to define my personality by it, and I can recall what I was like before all of this- that I had hobbies/ enjoyed life. I am even hoping to go back to school within the next six months, and I think that this medication will definitely make that possible for me, whereas before, I had little to no motivation. Ha, I AM a bit worried about hating my job now that I am not high to the point where I am indifferent to everything. If anyone has any remarks about that, it would be great to hear some stories:) I have social anxiety issues and happen to work with the public...but I think I'll be able to carry myself properly. I have confidence.

Again, sorry to ramble! Thanks SO much! I will certainly keep posting here if I can think of anything that needs to be added/ asked. I am so happy that I had found this forum, and am so grateful for all of you. Thank you so much!:)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:02 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I am very impressed that you got your dose down so low so quickly and with no discomfort. That's awesome:)
Also, I don't think that I was quite up to the equivalent of 200mgs of oxy, though I know that I could easily consume that amount without worrying about respiratory depression, or anything of that nature. Perhaps I actually WAS at the equivalent of that amount of Oxy- there's no way for me to know, unfortunately. I do know that an 80mg of Oxy would give me only a slight buzz, but I would think that twice that amount would have me absolutely trashed! Wow, you had quite the tolerance, and the fact that you are at 2mgs really inspires me to lower my dose from 5.5mgs as well. I'm not worried about withdrawals from it- just obnoxious back pain.

As for what your future plans are with Suboxone- do what you feel is right for you. Don't listen to anyone else. You know what you need to recover, and if you are worried that the intensity and impact of your addiction cannot be assuaged by a 14 day taper, then please, continue to use the medication to allow yourself more time to adapt to a cleaner lifestyle. I know that I, personally, would not be a likely candidate for a 14- day taper, but that's just me. I wasn't personally ready to quit my pods, however, and you may very well have been ready to quit your Oxy, and that could make a huge difference. I have read time and time again that Suboxone patients seem to have more success at staying of opiates if they are on Suboxone for longer periods of time, but I know that there are probably exceptions to that, of course. I think that this medication will allow me to get my life back together without having to worry about cravings, or relapsing, or pain management, and I think that I will stay on it for at least half a year, maybe even longer if I feel that it's necessary.

So if you find yourself enjoying your stint on the Suboxone, and think that it would be a good option for you for a longer period of time, then please, stay on Suboxone! Of course make sure that you have read up on it, and that will help you make the decision. It has already, in this short period of time, changed my life for the better, and I know that I will continue to improve will taking it:) I hope that whatever you decide, that you do well and that you recover:) You deserve to be free of active addiction, and to get your life back. Don't let anyone else tell you what it is that you need to do in order to achieve that- it's your decision:) Good luck to you!