It is currently Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:46 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hello, my name is ... and I'm a drug addict. I've been addicted to opiates for about 7 years now. I've lost my job, my house, and almost everything except family because of opiates. I'm in a program that will pay for suboxone treatment; and my induction starts Wednesday. I'm not currently going through withdraw as I used yesterday. I know I must be in some withdraw before induction, so those few pills I did yesterday must be the very last ones. I'm nervous I will relapse within the next few days because I'm already heavily thinking about more. However I am somewhat positive I can make it through 4 days without opiates.

I've tried Suboxone from the street and would sometimes use it when there were no pills around. The first time I snorted 8mg and puked for a day and a half and was nodding for at least 48 hours. After some more uses I learned they are not to be snorted because I would puke every time. Sick of puking I started taking them as instructed, under the tounge. I loved the high and would sometimes buy Suboxone instead of pills because it is much cheaper and last 4x as long. Using Suboxone never really took away withdraw because after it wore off I was looking for more pills. But I wasn't using Suboxone daily if that makes a difference.

My question: is this what I can expect from Suboxone? Will it take away the desire for opiates or will it make it worse as it has using recreationaly? My case managers tell me it will kill the cravings, but they also tell me you can't get high from Suboxone.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:13 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi and welcome! Firstly what pills are you taking? If it is short actin opiates like hydro or oxy then you do not need to stop 4 days prior. You must be in mild to moderate withdrawl to be induced. With the meds above that is usually around 24 hours, but can differ a bit from person to person. Your Dr will to make sure you are in withdrawl before inducing.It seems as though you do not have a high tolerance so you may get by on a low dose, say around 4mg.

Suboxone only works to stop cravings if you take your dose everyday. You must keep your receptors covered or you will have cravings. It is normal to feel a high feeling in the first couple weeks of starting sub. Once your body adjusts you will no longer get any euphoric effect and simply feel quite normal.

To be treated for addiction it is important to take your sub as directed. It can take a couple weeks to find ehat dose will work best for you. At the office 2mg (or whatever dose) may be enough to stop withdrawl and make you feel good. At home a few days later you might find you are having cravings, this is normal. You should tell your Dr. that you are having cravings and he will increase your dose and so on until you find which dose keeps the cravings away at all times. It is a trial and error process.

I hope I answered your questions and feel free to ask any others you may have.

Congrats on getting the help you need!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:06 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hydro's are my addiction. You say it seems I don't have a high tolerance, but I think I do. Before I got fired from my job my bill ran about $1000-1200, averaging anywhere between 8-15 10s a day. Recently though with a major cut in funds I average 4-8 a day. Always feeling unsatisfied, I'm more than ready to break away from this monkey on my back.

So I don't have to be completely clean before induction? That is somewhat of a relief. I was dreadfully anticipating withdraw for the next 3-4 days.

Thanks for your reply.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:40 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi NoMore and welcome to the forum. No, you don't need to be withdrawing for as long as 4 days. Google the "COWS Scale" or "Clinical Opiate Withdrawal Scale". You need to be in mild-to-moderate withdrawals when you induce. It's a matter of how bad the withdrawals are (or the state of your withdrawals) and not really the amount of time you're in withdrawals. But it's usually more along the lines of 24-48 hours for most people - that's IF we're talking about short-acting full opiate agonists.

I hope this helps. :)

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:26 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks for the info, hatmaker. I answered the assessment just to see, since it has been less than 24 hours and 'scored' a 10.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:31 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi, I didn't mean to minimize your addiction. I assumed your tolerance was lower because you said you would get high off the sub. It makes no difference what your tolerance is at, a person that can't break the cycle of taking 20mg of hydro a day is still an addict. It is better for you that you have had cash flow problems and had to get by on 4-8 a day. The only difference your tolerance will make as far as sub maintenance is the lower it is the less sub you will require. Which is a good thing because sub is very expensive. Like Hat said Google the cows scale, it will tell you what symptoms you should be experiencing before inducing. My doc was oxy and I took my last 60mg oxycontin about 26 hours prior to taking my first sub dose and I was fine. Oxy has a longer half life than hydro so I think 24 hours should be plenty of time, but everyone can vary so check out the cows.

Like I said it is normal to get an euphoric effect for a few weeks until your body adjusts. Sub is powerful opiate and some of us can still feel our dose, but not a high. More of a relaxed calming feeling, others feel completely normal. The key is to find the lowest dose possible that controls your cravings. When I first got on sub I was at started at 12mg (I had about a 200-300mg of oxy a day habit) I was still having cravings and didn't tell my Dr for a while because I felt like I was still drug seeking or something. When I finally did he said he couldn't believe I didn't say anything and that if your cravings aren't being controlled then you might as well not be on sub. I am just telling you this so you know to tell your Dr if you feel you need a higher dose.

Congrats on taking your life back, I am sure you will be happy with your sub maintenance. It is an amazing med, I hope you stick around the forum. It is a great support place and has helped me immensely on my recovery. Let us know how your induction goes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:16 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

The good thing is my Suboxone is competely paid for from my past employer. After 3 months I will have to pay for drug tests and meetings once a week because I will be allowed to return to work.

Thank you, I will.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:58 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Welcome and I echo what Breezy_ Ann has said. Do this properly and it can be done easily. Read the Induction thread and continue to ask a lot of ????

Good luck, R