It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Induction Tomorrow
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:59 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hello, I am new to this site and am scheduled to start suboxone tomorrow morning. I am nervous about this and have no idea what to expect?

I started taking oxy codone approx 4 years ago and have had enough of the ups and downs everyday. When I first started it was great, I am a chronic pain patient (Ankolosing Spondalitis) and have never had relief like that before but as I sure you all know what happens with this medication. Currently taking 20mg Oxy Neo 3-4 times per day and 5mg Oxy IR 6-8 times per day.

My concerns are, how long should I wait before induction? The doctor told me 20 hours from what I've read I'n not sure that will be sufficient? And also, does suboxone help treat chronic pain conditions as well as I am afraid I will end up in the same boat I was in before having a hard time of dealing with pain everyday?

Any information regarding this would be helpful,

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Induction Tomorrow
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 1:39 pm 

Hey sean, welcome.

Sub can do wonders. For pain, well everyone is different. You will just have to wait and see how it ll do for you.
It will depend on just how much pain you are in..

Now are you inducting yourself or with the drs help?
Also how much have you been is the dr giving you?

20 hours a whole day, it really iznt a time issue as it is on how the wd is . moderate to heavy wd is the best way to avoid presip wd..the louger you wait the better you should feel as you induct.It looks like your in the 150 to 200mg range of tolerance. Id wait it out till I couldnt stand it anymore.
Also, there the COWS scale to test yourself. You can find it at NABBT. COM site..

Your going to do fine sean...keep posting...razor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 1:40 pm 

Hi Sean!

Let me see if I can answer a couple of questions.

First, you should be in moderate withdrawal before you start on suboxone. Here is a link to the COWS score sheet which can help you determine how in withdrawal you are. Also, do you know the dose your doctor is planning to start you on and are you being induced in the office? If you are not sure your withdrawal symptoms are strong enough, you could ask your doctor to start you with 2 mg. If 2 mg doesn't throw you into precipitated withdrawal you should be able to take more.

Also, some doctors have been misguided into giving patients larger doses of suboxone than they need. It's important to take enough to cover your opiate receptors, but if you take too much you could experience nausea, headaches, and an increase tolerance to opiates. Most of us are not doctors, but we do have a lot of experience, so ask us more questions as you wish.

Also, suboxone does have good analgesic properties. To make the most out of its pain relieving properties, you should take 1/4th of your daily dose every six hours.

I hope this helps!

Amy

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:33 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you for the replies. I will be inducted in a pain management clinic tomorrow. The doctor had mentioned that she would begin by giving me 2mg and increasing by 2mg until they achieve a stable dose, but mentioned that I would end up in the 8mg-16mg range. Is this what you guys did as well 2mg to start? She did also mention the COWS sheet you are speaking of.

If I can ask another question, in your experiences were you able to return to your normal daily activities the next day following induction? I run my own business and can not afford to be away to long I was just wondering as I have never tried this medication before? Is everything good the next day, like working, driving etc...

Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:42 pm 

Hey Amy,great minds huh?.off by a mim.lol

Ok, Sean! Good news! You have a very good dr it sounds..yes, thats the best way to find not only the right dose for you, but the safest way..I feel you are in good hands.
I run my own bizz also.i never missed a beat.i inducted on a thursday night, and had the best day at work on friday!! So...Hopeful you will do the same. I believe you will.
Welcome to your new freedom.
Remember, go in freeing..well, Shity....then off to the races..

Keep posting ...razor...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:39 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks Razor for the replies you have given me some confidence. Now its just about getting through tonight and the brutal drive downtown in rush hour traffic to get to the clinic tomorrow morning and at that point I hope it all works as well for me as it did for you. Just gonna be strong tonight,

Thanks Again

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:37 am 

Go Sean Go!!!! Your almost there man..hope all vos well..

Lets us know....razor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:06 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

So I got through last night it was pretty bad but I could manage. I ended up feeling relief after 2 x 2mg so 4mg total and they sent me home with another 2mg in case I need later, and 6mg for tomorrow (3 x 2mg). I feel ok, normal as they say but have a pounding headache and never usually get headaches, is this a normal side effect?

By the time I got to the doctors office I scored very low on the COWS sheet but explained how I was in horrible shape the night before and that it had been 32 hrs since I took long acting oxy and 24 hrs since short acting oxy me and the doctor concluded that I had already experienced the worst of the withdraw and was actually starting to improve when I got there this morning.

Either way, is this headache thing normal for the first day? And any tips on dealing with this? I guess I can try an Advil and see I will check if theres any interactions first,

Any advice is appreciated,

Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:04 pm 

Sean thats great to read. Glad it went so well.
I hate that headache. Been there done that.
You may have it till your system is
used to the med. Sorry, but it is not uncommon at all.

Cure for that is over the counter pain relief.

Maybe take it slowly tomarrow too. Wait for the better part of the day before taking another 2mgs if possible. Just my opinion.

Hang in there man, razor..keep posting...