It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Induction Thursday
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:20 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hello...

First, thanks to everyone who has posted here. Reading all of the posts and getting information from this forum has helped alot.

I'm 34. I'm also a mental health therapist. Academically I knew what this was about, but in real life i didnt catch it in time. I had pain issues that i took oxycodone for. but i lost control a while back. have been cycling through sources, with w/d in between. I hope to regain some control this week. I have my induction apt. on thurs. Im nervous. Physical w/d is horrible,but i know it by heart now. It's after a few days that the cravings come on. i have to say that is the most debilitating for me. ive gone as long as 4 weeks with no oxy, and those cravings took over every part of my life. now that im in the pre-induction w/d, i feel them coming back. How well does suboxone reduce them?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:58 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

lenticular,

Welcome!

Don't be nervous. You say you were/are on oxycodone, that's a short acting opiate. That's good! What kind of dose per day were you on? I just wanted to know the daily dose to get an idea of how severe the problem was.

Right now it's Tuesday night, have you already stopped your oxy? You mention you are in wd now, I think. For short acting opiates you don't necessarily need to quit that far out, but the less oxy you have in you the better the sub will work.

I think you are going to be absolutely fine. I think the sub will amaze you at how stable you can be.

If I may, I'll relate my story quickly so you can compare. I was taking Hydrocodone by the handful (up to 6 of the 10mg at once) leading up to my induction. Usually a few times per day. I'm going to guess I was taking about 100mg to 150mg of Hydrocodone per day. 24 hours before my induction I stopped the Hydro's and felt the wd's very strong just before I took my first 8mg of suboxone. 33 minutes later I felt better, another 30 minutes after that I felt very, very good. I was blown away by how seamless my induction went.

Hope this helps ease you nerves. I remember the time leading up to my sub and being nervous, I don't think you have to sweat it.

Good Luck, it would be great if you could drop us a note on how you are doing AND how your induction goes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:04 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hello and welcome! I'm glad the posts here have helped you. It's a great forum...I think you'll like it here. And I'm so happy for you for taking this positive step to improve your life.

It's normal to be nervous. But like Romeo said, I think you'll be amazed at how well sub works. Once you get stabilized on the right dose for you, sub takes care of the cravings really well. I've been on suboxone for almost 2 years exactly and I'm very happy with my treatment.

Keep us posted on how you're doing. Again, welcome to the forum.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:12 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey congrats on taking this step forward says a lot about you as a person!

As of how well does suboxone work coming off oxycontin you will be just fine! I was taking a very large dose of oxy for 4 to 5 years or so at 200mgs a day and as soon as I stopped and started sub all the WD’s went away in an hour or so after my first dose of sub. I was amazed with how well suboxone worked for myself and I know a few people who were on much stronger opiate medications for injuries and the sub worked for the same as them by the next day after induction you fell like the person you use to be I can’t explain it but you will soon see what I mean. It’s so great to be free of these drugs and get back to living a normal life without worrying about that next dose or were you‘ll get your next fix or something’s wrong at the pharmacy. Its like a million pounds is lifted off your back one you stop oxy and start sub.

Please keep us posted and don’t be nervous you will be just fine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:55 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Welcome to the forum! Today is your induction I believe and I hope everything goes well for you. I do believe you should do well and look forward to hearing about it. You will be amazed when you can get back to your life feeling free of the ups and downs that come with active addiction. It is like this automatic stability which is so nice. I can't even really describe how awesome it was.

Cherie

- Winston Churchill

Post subject: Welcome
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:59 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Welcome to the forum. And most of all welcome to the freedom of being off illicit narcotics. Just like Romeo says you will be amazed. My fiancé mother thinks I have been so much better and much happier. But she also just thinks I go to a counselor she has no clue that I am on sub and in recovery. But nevermind that I hope all is well with u!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:07 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks for the replies.
I had been using oxy (roxy, perc, etc). Have never taken oxycontin. I probably did start w/d too soon for a thurs. appointment, but that was the end of the prescription. i would have been unable to keep any around and not use them. I wasnt even able to slowly taper off.

Induction went well (so far). I took 1 8mg tablet with instructions to take .5 tablet tonight (12mg total). i didnt notice anything for 30 mins, but then i quickly started feeling very good. not a high like with oxy, but very relaxed, everything is very quiet. it has made me tired and dizzy, but not too bad. overall i'd say it's amazing. too early to tell of course to see how the cravings do, but at this point im very hopeful.

thanks again for the welcome.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:30 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

lenticular wrote:
Thanks for the replies.
I had been using oxy (roxy, perc, etc). Have never taken oxycontin. I probably did start w/d too soon for a thurs. appointment, but that was the end of the prescription. i would have been unable to keep any around and not use them. I wasnt even able to slowly taper off.

Induction went well (so far). I took 1 8mg tablet with instructions to take .5 tablet tonight (12mg total). i didnt notice anything for 30 mins, but then i quickly started feeling very good. not a high like with oxy, but very relaxed, everything is very quiet. it has made me tired and dizzy, but not too bad. overall i'd say it's amazing. too early to tell of course to see how the cravings do, but at this point im very hopeful.

thanks again for the welcome.

That's a fairly typical response to suboxone, and it sounds like you are well on your way to addiction remission. Congratulations and please keep us posted on how you're doing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:24 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Congratulations lenticular,

I'm happy everything went well. See, nothing to worry about.

As Junkie said, your response is very typical.

As far as cravings, I had a few, but because I was absolutely convinced that taking any other opiates would be a complete waste of time due to suboxone's extremely high affinity for the mu receptor, I never actually did take any other opiates. The fact that suboxone was keeping me stable did wonders for my cravings too.

It would be great if you stayed in contact for a bit to let us know how things are going...if you feel like it.

Congrats again!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:09 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

congrats on feeling better on subs. In terms of cravings, I only have them when im very stressed and even then i usually get through those situations without pain pill cravings. Instead of painers i usually get benzo cravings just because i know that those would relax me so much if i took them while i was stressed. None of my cravings have ever been that strong and they dont last more then a couple minutes, in general they are very manageable and i if asked if i ever had trouble with cravings i could give a strong NO as an annswer. I beleive that in order to be successful on subs you need to be seeing a counselor or going to meetings (whichever you prefer), otherwise subs did save my life, and give me an oppurtunity to workon the things that i need (tools) to keep me sober.