It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:13 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

July 20th is my first visit with a Suboxone physician. From March of 2006 I went from 15mg. of morphine to 60mgs. around May 2009.All IR. I've been taking 15mgs.of Methadone from May to now. Doesn't sound like much compared to what I've read from some here. I tried the cold turkey route and that just aint happening.I'm a bit apprehensive but know I got to do it.The nurse says no narcotics at least for 24 hours before the appointment.Any suggestions or comments? Hopefully it will all go well.Thanks for listening,glad I found this site.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:32 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hello jarret-

Just do what you are told and you will be fine! Are you going to attend any support meetings? You should come to our online CHAT meetings Mon and WED at 7:30pm (EST)

It is important to learn new ways of coping with life when you are in recovery! Keep coming back and if you have any questions about your induction, ask away! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:28 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Just restating what Shel wrote but sometimes us addicts need to hear things a couple times before they set in. I've talked to a guy I know who thought he'd be clever and avoid being in withdrawals before starting the Suboxone, needless to say he ended up in precipitated withdrawal that he said was more severe than any withdrawal he'd been in before so not saying you would do the same but just want to make things go as smoothly as possible for you :D Also something else that helped alot was actually doing what my doctor told me.... never thought I'd say that. Support has been very important for me as well and nowadays most addicts have a few options now. You could check out some N.A. meetings, check out the S.M.A.R.T recovery website, go to private counseling, and there's more just a matter of preference but there were some important things I had to do once I started Sub like ditching ALL friend I had previously used with no exceptions. Also perhaps the most important thing I think is finding people to hang around who aren't using anymore or who have never used dope. It's alot easier to not relapse when no one around you has something to relapse with :D
Good luck hope things go well and we're glad to have you with us!

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:08 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I've already stopped hanging out. I for sure will not try to go in without not taking any opiates.They said 24 hours,I'm shooting for 36. It's not gonna be fun,but it's about recovering one's life and that will be well worth the pain.Already have been in some counseling sessions.Thanks for the replies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:49 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Just remember it's not the first time you've been "sick". You've been through it before, but it will be the last time. That's how I tried to think of it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:50 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

their are medications such as clonidine that help with the wait. Maybe your doctor can prescribe you some. Ive heard and read that 30 mgs of methadone is equivalent to a certain dose of suboxone. I am not sure if thats correct, maybe the doc can answer that. But, follow your doctors or nurses orders, methadone stays in the system a lot longer than most other types of opiates which is why the wait is longer. I went online while I waited to take my suboxone and looked at this chart, called cows i think, that tells you when your safe to take the suboxone based on your symptoms. This might help you gauge your progress but make sure you follow doctors orders. If you can, try to keep your mind occupied while you wait. When I kicked H I had a very high tolerance and could barely get out of bed, and only once or twice. I just concentrated on how miserable I was, but when i got up to look at the chart it helped a little bit because it took my mind somewhat off the misery. So if you are able to get up, do it, and try and keep busy even though you will feel really lousy. Just push yourself, the day will go by faster. I even hear exercise helps the most, but that was impossible for me when I switched over. I dont know if you get any high off of methadone but on suboxone usually you dont and if you do it wont last. Suboxone is a wonderful medication for helping you to get your life back on track. If you have any family or friends that know about what your doing, see if they can hang out with you while you are waiting. They can help keep your mind occupied and also feed you if you cant on your own. Also its nice to hear support from people you trust and love while your in those dark moments. My grandmother tried to make me feel better by telling me how when she was prescribed a medication years back, the doctor suddenly stopped prescribing it to her, and didnt mention anything about withdrawal. She related how horrible she felt at the time, which in a way made me feel a little better. So in those hours of waiting keep reminding yourself why you doing what your doing. You'll make it just fine, and you will be amazed at how much your life will improve.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:18 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks for the replies. I'm a little nervous about the whole thing,but it's time to move on and do the right thing. I have seen the cows chart and have been in the twenties before so I kind of know what to expect.