It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Induction Problems
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:30 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Good Day All-

I have been on and off Subs for about 6 months now, and Im at the point where I am sick of going back and forth from my drug of choice(oxycontin) to suboxone, and want to just get back on the suboxone for good. My problem is the induction. I dont know if it is because I was taking so much of the painkiller or that, it just takes a couple days to stabilize, or what, but when I wake up, and wait an hour or two until withdrawl kicks in, and then take my suboxone, I feel much much better than had I taken nothing, but, I still feel pretty heavy withdrawal symptoms, regardless of my suboxone does, be it 8 Mg, 10mg, 12 mg...Is this common? Does it take two or three days to stablize? I remember when I was only taking a few percocets a day, I could start taking suboxone without any withdrawal in the induction, and would be able to switch with no problem, but now that my opiate habit is much greater, I am having real problems. I work 6 days a week and have 1 day off, and because its a new job, I cannot take any days off right now, so, although normally I would just lie in bed for 3 days during induction and sleep it off with xanax or something, I cannot do that now because of my work...so here is where i am...I take 8mg in the morning, go to work, and after an hour or two, the withdrawal is so bad, I cannot function properly at work...i am sweating, my nose is running, and i am running to the bathroom every 5 minutes...so, after I cant handle it anymore, i take an oxycontin, and feel better...I am sick of being in this cycle, and I want to know if anyone has any advice or similiar experiences with induction...I know with methadone, I wouldnt be feeling this way in induction, but I dont want to go back to methadone...help! please!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:05 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Welcome and thanks for sharing Highways we're always glad to do what we can for those that have questions about Sub. The first thing we'd need to know though is what was your typical daily oxy dose now when you're using? It's important to keep in mind that 4mgs of Suboxone and above is equal in opiate effect to around 30 of methadone and therefore roughly equal to 60 of oxy. So if you're taking more than 60mgs a day of oxy you're going to have to deal with some withdrawal even if you take start back on the Sub because the opiate effect is not equal. You could wait longer to start Sub than you have before like a day or two to allow your tolerance to go back down or you could start back on the sub when your withdrawals first start again and have to wait a couple days while on the Sub for your tolerance to go back down.

Some things I would do if I were you: talk to my Sub doctor like ASAP and tell him what's going on and hopefully we'd be able to figure out a plan. I would probably find ways to make myself accountable like submitting to more drug screens have someone close make sure that I'm taking the Sub daily, lose all my friends who are still using and burn all bridges with drug dealers. I would also take time off from work and get back on the Sub and deal with a couple days of withdrawal, I'd have to see how important getting clean is and that everything else in life can be put on hold. Finally I'd become willing to admit that I didn't have the answers I'd make new friends who are no longer using and do some of the same things they do to stay clean.

I wish you the best and please realize I'm just making suggestions of what I would do if I were in your situation I'm certainly not trying to tell you what to do or how to do it. Please keep us updated hope things work out :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:38 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Good Day All-
I am going to be brutally honest because I do not feel candy coating my words provides any positive ground for you.
Why do you keep jumping back and forth so much? Do you understand what Suboxone was truly created for? Do you plan on continuing to use Xanax and any other types of medications also?

are you working with a doctor? Is the Suboxone from a prescription or somewhere else? Until you come to terms with your situation, how do you expect to stay on Suboxone and do things the correct way?
I don't mean to pry or sound harsh, but offering advice or suggestions on how you should handle your induction does not sound like a situation anyone else should offer advice about.That is something you and your doctor are supposed to do together!

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:54 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Thank you to both of you who replied.

In response to reply number 1, that was great advice. To answer your first question, my average daily oxy dose was about 160 mg. I am getting the subs from a doctor, but I recently relocated to a new city for a new job, and in the process of moving and all, I had to find a new doctor in my new city, so it took a little while to do, and that is why I most recently relapsed and gone back to using oxy, but now that I have found a doctor and have a new script for subs, I am planning to get back on them, however when I tried yesterday, it was hell. I think you are probably right that i did not wait long enough and was not in heavy enough withdrawal for the subs to take effect. I took 8mg in the morning, which is what the doctor prescribed for me daily, and within two hours, I was feeling pretty heavy withdrawal...nothing like what i would have felt had i not taken it, but enough so that i felt like i needed to use oxy, which i did, but just a small amount, 20mg, and i felt fine again. I know this is more important than anything in my life, and it would just be me making excuses if I say otherwise, but at this point, it is impossible for me to take a couple days off for me to get stabilized on the subs. I do have a plan, I plan on taking my subs Saturday, dealing with whatever withdrawal I have to at work that day, and then use my one day off, sunday, to relax, and deal with whatever withdrawal may occur, and hopefully, by monday morning, it will have been my 3rd day on subs and only subs, and I will be stable...I just kind of wanted to post something, see what kind of response I would get and try and get some support and advice, which is exactly what you gave me, so thank you! With the taking off work, its a lose lose situation pretty much, so I have to be strong and figure out a way to stabilize on subs while maintaining my work schedule. If I take time off, I am pretty sure I will lose my job- its a new job, and I am the manager, and the location has only been open for 2 weeks, so it would be very difficult to do...and if I dont take off,well, this happens where i get caught in this cycle of back and forth with using and taking subs, and will probably lead to me losing my job anyway due to issues related to that...so, its kind of a catch 22...but for now, Im gonna try and stick to the plan i mentioned above, and hope for the best, not make any excuses, and be strong and take the withdrawals like a man.

In response to comment 2-

I keep jumping back and forth because, well, I dont know, thats a good question. But either way, Im sick of it, and am at the point where I know how tough it is to get back on subs, and will not put myself through this again, so, I suppose I was going back and forth so much because before, it was not difficult, and I could take subs every day, and if i felt like getting high one day , i could, and go right back to subs with no problem...so for me, that worked, and although it went completely against the purpose of the subs and treatment in general, in the end i am an addict and thats what addicts do...however, now that the situation is different, when I do get back on subs, I realize how important is to stay on them and not get high, and i am quite sure thats what I will do.

In regards to other prescription medications, I do not take them. The only time I have ever used them, i used xanax to help me kick a heroin addiction about 4 years ago, and it was the only thing that worked, and by using xanax for two weeks, I was able to kick heroin, and stay completely clean, no subs, no methadone, no prescription drugs, for 2 whole years. So , no I do not use xanax, but yes, it did save my life, and I believe it can be a useful tool to combat withdrawal if used just for that purpose and temporarily,as I had used it 4 years ago. And no need to excuse yourself for "prying or trying to sound harsh" I appreciate your honesty, and your points and questions were valid. For example, if come Sunday, I am experiencing bad withdrawal when trying to stablize on subs, as I have recently, I can take a xanax, fall asleep, and not feel the horrible effects of withdrawal. I know some say it is replacing one evil with another, but I have done this many times with xanax when detoxing myself and have never used it beyond my withdrawal or for recreation, and have no worries that it will become a problem for me.

SO, thank you both for your comments and advice and input, and anybody else or any other comments from you guys are much appreciated!