It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:57 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hello another new guy here

Ok so finally broke down and decided i was done.

I know there are tons of posts like this on here but wanted to post my own as well :)

I have been taking 10 - 15 10mg hydrocodones everyday for the last 6 years and im really tired of living this way and making my family live in poverty even though i make plenty of money to support us. I am spending nearly $1300 a month
to keep my addiction going and ive finally realized its not fair to them or me to keep going like this. Thank god i found out about suboxone (well i guess we will see about that on Friday).

I just took the last two hydros i will ever take about an hour ago and threw away the icebreakers mint case i carried them in for years lol.

The Dr. advised me to abstain from taking any for all of Thursday leading up to my induction on Friday morning and after reading posts on here it sounds like the best route to go for sure.

Tomorrow is going to suck really bad i loathe the w/d something fierce. The way i obtain my medications forces me to sometimes go through w/d every two weeks or so for about 3 days before i can get more which makes me dread it more i think because i know exactly what im up against and it sucks so bad.

But i do have a bright hope come friday assuming everything i have read about Sub and i hope it works well for me as it has so many others.

I have a few questions if anyone is willing to answer them.

I was able to get off work for Thursday so i dont have to be in w/d and work. I've tried to work in w/d before and just cant bear it. I work a 70 hour week 12 hours per day 6 days a week on my feet the entire time and i have to set the energy level for my employees. I am curious as to how i will be on Friday after the induction? Will i feel well enough i hope to be able to work that day? (i dont really have an option but would like to prepare myself for it either way)
What is the average time people stay on the sub? The Dr. and I havent discussed a timeframe yet and was curious what the Avg may be. I think perosnally i would prefer to do it a longer then shorter but then you also get the w/d from the sub.

My biggest issue when i w/d is SLEEP omg i will go days with maybe 30 mins of sleep each day and it just makes it brutal to work. Is sleeping an issue on Sub and has anyone had a Dr prescribe them a sleep aid to help with it?

Sorry didnt mean to make such a long post. Anyway I hope to post on this board and meet everyone as i go through this time in my life and make it a constant i can goto if i am feeling weak.

-Nabbic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:43 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Well last two wore off. going to be a long day tomorrow but looking forward to friday i hope i have a good experience and dont think i will have any problems being in enough withdrawl i am already starting to feel yuck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:14 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi nabbic,

First of all welcome to the forum! And second, congratulations on taking that huge step to stop the crazy ass cycle of active addiction. For a great many people, they feel what they describe as "normal" after taking their first or maybe their second dose of suboxone. So it's entirely possible that you'll be fine to return to work on Friday. To be honest, it just depends on how your induction goes. You are going from a short acting full agonist to suboxone, so I see no reason for it not to go well. (Although please know I'm not a doctor.)

People stay on suboxone for various lengths of time, anywhere from a few short weeks to detox only up to staying on it for life. It depends on many factors including the individual and their addiction history including their history of relapses. It's just based on what YOU need.

In the beginning of sub treatment, some people do have trouble stabilizing and might have trouble sleeping - BUT others might have the opposite problem. Then there are many who have no problems sleeping at all.

I hope this helps. Hang in there today...it will be over before you know it. And post as often as you need to in order to help you get through the day. And ask as many more questions as you need to a well. That's what we're here for. Good luck!

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:13 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

thanks for the welcome and answers.

Today was brutal.

It kinda sucks being one of the only people that can do your job because i ended up have to go into work for 4 hours today :cry:

I do kinda feel better though now that i am home seems like getting out of the bed helped a little.

8.5 more hours until induction.

Unfortunately i highly doubt i will sleep at all tonight.

But i am looking forward to going to the Dr. tomorrow and really not having any cravings today. I think that is a good sign that i am done with this. But i still feel like curling up in a ball.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:33 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Just dont understand of you can be hot and cold at the same damn time.......... and not being able to sleep really messes with me. 5 hours.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:45 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Well i made it time to goto Dr. hope hes not an a**hole

Wish me luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:48 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Good luck! Looking forward to hearing how it went.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:23 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hi Nabbic :)
Yeah! How can you feel hot and cold at the same time? I had that too when I had to w/d. Madness! But I am hoping you have done Ok with your induction and feeling a whole lot better now. Come back soon and let us all know how it went. If you've seen any of my posts on the forum you may have seen that I had a few ups and downs / on and offs in the beginning of my treatment but have totally settled down into it now. I love my new lease of life and that I have turned a corner. I never want to visit opiate addiction street ever again! I had trouble sleeping for the first few weeks but i am on the whole getting decent sleeps every night now. Honestly between me and my husband we were spending every last bit of disposable income (that is after bills and rent etc) on our drug of choice, and we earn a good enough salary between us. It makes me sick to the stomach when I think of the amount we must have vaporised away! I am talking probably £1200.00 (English Pounds) every single month and sometimes more! what a fucking (sorry for swearing) waste. Suboxone truely is life saving in every way if you want my opinion, not only for the person on it but for their close family too. I am sure you will have a much better life all around from now on.
Take care x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:54 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Well this stuff works pretty good.

He had me take 8mg strip (YUCK BTW) and wait 30 mins then do another.

didnt feel much after the first one but after i did the second one (16mg total) i felt high to the point i had to come home and lay down.

I just woke up (i really didnt fall asleep just laid in the bed with eyes closed kinda halfway into sleep and out) and feel absolutely great!

Thanks for all the support and i defienetly think i will do just fine on this med.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:22 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Kind of wonder was it normal for me to get that high off first dose? It wasn't a normal opiate high more of a speedy type high. And I have felt so weird all day at work today. Maybe just have to adapt to the new chemical. I really like my Dr which is something I was worried about. Its really amazing I haven't craved a pill all day. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:39 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

It's not unusual for people to feel sort of weird or loopy or almost high the first few days of sub treatment. So you're definitely not alone there - it's very common. It should subside soon. Give yourself time to stabilize.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:54 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

thanks hat for letting me know its common because i was thinking for awhile today "hell i feel just as good on this as i did on my pills WTH is the difference i can see where people would say trading one addiction for another"

Well home from work now. the first day was rather pleasant actually had a very happy day today.

I am curious about something my doctor told me. He didnt give me a set dose to take everyday. He told me to just experiment and see what dose is good for me and keeps me balanced. Is that a normal thing to do? To just give an addict free range on what he should take or is he just testing me i wonder to see if i will try to take an obscene amount to try to get as much of a high as i can? Personally i think 1.5 strips and i would be good for the day. One when i wake up and .5 towards the end of my work day. So 12mg? that seems kinda low to me from what i have read on this forum but as of what i've learned today this stuff is strong. Perhaps its the fact i am use to the short acting opiates and have never taken a long acting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:21 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Some doctors do it that way, while others don't. It really just depends on the doctor. At least you know your doctor is trying to meet your actual needs...think of it that way.

12 mg isn't really that high of a dose, but it surely isn't a low dose either. 4 mg is generally accepted to be the ceiling, approximately where the opiate receptors get saturated at. Of course everyone is a bit different. Doses above 4 mg are to KEEP the opiate receptors saturated all the time (steadily) and vary from person to person based on what it takes to keep their cravings under control.

It's also fairly common to be on a higher dose early in treatment and then a couple of months later go down to a lower dose that still keeps one out of withdrawals and comfortably addresses all the cravings. Getting down to the lowest dose possible will also keep any side effects down to a minimum.

Again, it's common in the beginning of treatment to dose more than once daily. Eventually it's good though to get down to once daily dosing. This is to get us out of the habit of taking something whenever we feel like we need it. Suboxone's average half life is 37 hours, so really there's no reason (unless taking it for pain) to dose more than once daily once the person is stabilized on a maintenance dose.

It's kind of good that your doctor is letting you tell him what you need for the moment. It's better than a doctor being rigid about too low a dose.

I hope this helps. You should keep feeling better every day. Take care.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:07 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks for the response. Yes my Doc seemed very cool actually i was quite surprised to be honest. I Think today i will try the 12mg and see how it goes. I took 16mg yesterday and was for lack of a better word high all day so im going to lower it a bit.

Post subject: Dosing
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:08 am 

First off, Congratulations on getting your life back in order! It does seem odd that your doctor would leave the dosing up to the patient. Mine was very strict about it and I was told to not adjust my dose until they did it at the next appt. Sorry doc, I cheated on that one. They started me out at 24mgs, way too high a dose. I quickly got down to 16 and stayed there for about six months.

Since then it's been a slow taper. And I took the advice of those here to get back to once a day dosing. I was splitting it because of the sleepiness that occurred with me. But now I'm down to 3mgs and it's minor.

Just stay on it and work on a life w/o drugs abuse. When you're ready to start tapering, you'll know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:53 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks for the tips rule.

I couldnt imagine taking 24 mg's think that would knock me down a notch lol.

Just woke up and took my first one and going to try and make it for about 12 more hours and take another half today and see how well i feel all day. I am off of work today and tomorrow so i can play with what works best before i go back to work. Cause im pretty sure he had me take to much yesterday.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:27 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Ok so day 2 was not as great as day 1.

All i have done all day today was sleep. Been tired all day and have barely gotten out of the bed. When i did come out and try to hang out with my wife or kids i was just so lethargic that i didnt even want to be sitting up right on the couch. I dont feel withdrawl i just feel blah. Is this normal? when i woke up i took one 8mg strip and maybe 2 hours later i was so sleepy i went and laid down and have been in bed for most of the day. I got up about 2 hours ago (now family is sleeping) and took my .5 a strip but i still feel just blah, no energy, slight headache, slight nausea, if i sit upright for more then 20 mins i tend to get a bit dizzy. I think my blood pressure may be high but have no way to measure it.

Are these normal conditions? Am i taking to little or to much? Should i discuss with Dr. or see if it subsides?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:50 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Keep in mind you've yet to stabilize on suboxone. That said, the extreme lethargy could indicate that your dose is too high. Since your doctor is letting you play around with your dose, I would cut the am dose down, to like 4-6 mg and see if that's better. You may or may not need that second dose later in the day. If your withdrawals don't come back nor do your cravings, you might consider skipping it. Suboxone has a mean half life of 37 hours, so once daily is quite sufficient. Early in treatment, people dose more than once daily to get those receptors really saturated so as to really take care of the cravings and to keep them from sneaking up on you midday....think of it as a preemptive strike.

The amount of suboxone you'll need will depend on the amount of opiates you were taking before as well as your overall opiate tolerance. So where someone might need 16 mg, another might only need 6. You just need to find what works for you.

I hope a dose cut helsp you to feel better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:30 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks Hat that makes sense.

Going to try doing 6mg in the morning and just keep the other 2mg in my wallet while at work just incase. Will see how it works today off work and try tomorrow at work lol hopefully im not falling asleep at work heh.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Post subject: Stabilize
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:00 pm 

nabbic,

Like Hatmaker said, try to let your body stabilize. It will take the better part of two weeks to finally feel somewhat normal. (whatever that is)

And do try to dose just once daily. I was instructed to dose at 10am, but later on I started splitting it because of the sleepiness. Now that I'm down to lower doses I was able to get back to the once a day thing.

Who the heck is abusing enough to warrant 24mgs? A $500 a day heroin addict? The first day of my induction of 24mg's I went home and threw up. Reminded me of doing heroin. And they said they based that amount on what I told them I was taking. It was 12-18 10/325 Norco's, 12-16 Ultrams, 10-15 Soma's, and some Xanax if I had it. A high dose yes, but I would have done better on 16mg's. Without Sub something very bad was going to happen to me. I have no regrets and hope you don't either.

I will slowly taper and stop when the time is right and no sooner. I've come a long way in this last year and am eternally grateful for the Suboxone program. Thank God I lived long enough to get on it. I'll pay the piper later on when I jump as required by the laws of nature.

Keep us posted on your progress. It benefits us all.

Rule62