It is currently Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 6:47 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi, my name is Alan and I am new to the forum. I am planing on an induction on Fri. morning and have some questions. I have taken Subs before but only when I was out of pills but this time is different. Before when I took it I was taking about 300 mg morphine and I could get by with taking 6mg to 8mg of subs the first day. That was then and now I am snorting 7 to 8 bags of H per day and have been doing it for 4 months. After seeing a doctor I have decided to start suboxone treatment and finally start my recovery. Will I have problems with the induction because my tolerance is so high? I have never been scared to take suboxone until this time. Can anyone share experiences similar to mine or at lease anyone who has come off larger amounts of opiates. please help because I am just living in constant panic.

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 3:08 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I don't know if I came off as an idiot but I am surprised no one responded. I know I am not part of the larger group yet but but I figured since everyone here has been through some part of the disparity that plagues addicts that someone would at least lend a word. I am putting my induction off for a day because I have to work so I am still asking anyone for any feedback. I hate to seem so desperate but I am just that. I must close my eyes and open and hope. I need this.

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 5:50 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

hello Alan,

I started subs about seven months ago, and although I didn't induct with an H habit,I did have an extremely high tolerance, due to the fact that I was chewing 100 mcg fentanyl patches everyday and taking anywhere from 30 or more pills of basically whatever opiates I could get my hands on. anyway, my Dr. started me on 12 mgs a day, and at the time after about five days or a week, it just want or didn't Sen like enough to me,I still felt bad, sweats, chills, insomnia, etc, so Dr. upped my dose to twenty four mgs, and I stayed at that dose for a while and brought it down on my own over a short time period. on the films I was able to get down to twelve mgs a day and dosing once per day. my life after I stabilized on the medication began to improve immediately. no longer was I spending all the cash I had and didn't have on pills our worrying about being sick in s few hours if I couldn't score any.
I was able to begin to enjoy my life again, sirens timewith my kids, take up my old hobbies long forgotten in active addiction, do well at my job again, and save a little money too. I haven't had any bothersome side effects, luckily, and have never failed a UA since starting sub treatment. I've no future plans of tapering off the medication, as it works very well for me and I can afford it now that I'm prescribed the generic bupe without naloxone. it's much cheaper, so I'm saving even more money now.

that's my experience, well short version thus far, hope it helped you feel a little better about induction anyway. Everyone told me to just make absolutely sure that I waS in full, hard WD before taking the bupe, so that's what I did and I was fine, no precipitated withdrawal. if you're unsure about that use the COWS SCALE ( clinical opiate withdrawal scale) which helps assess your level of withdrawal before beginning. there is a thread here explaining how to score your symptoms, and what score you should have before starting the bupe to ensure that induction goes smoothly for you. no need to be scared although I know that's easier said than done.You're on your way to feeling better soon, and taking a step in the right direction treating your addiction with medication that's helped and savedcountless people. welcome to our forum!

Lizzie

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 9:56 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

People who come off a fairly large H habit can have some issues with induction. Like you said, it's about the tolerance.

For people going from H to Suboxone, I usually recommend what Lizzie told you about the COWS. If I were you, I'd make sure I was well into the 20's on the COWS (and at least 24 hours off H, minimum), then start with 1mg or 2mg of Suboxone. If the 1mg or 2mg starts to make you feel worse, you need to wait longer. 1mg or 2mg isn't usually enough to precipitate wd, so it's usually a good guage.

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 11:27 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi Alan,
I just started on sub just over 2 weeks ago now - I didn't come off anywhere near what you have come off - but you need to try and go without opiates for as long as you can before you start the sub. We don't have induction over here in Australia, a doctor gives us a script and then we try and figure out for ourselves what dose is right for us.
I hope that you are still checking this forum. I know when I first wrote on here, I was terrified of taking sub and also if people would reach out to me - and everything has worked well for me. I feel really lucky to have found this forum.
I think I got so caught up in trying to seek guidance from others that I forgot there are other people seeking help. So I cant say I have been where you are - I had a terrible panadine forte and then oxy problem so I was scared I was going to take too much! I had never been scared to take too much of anything before!
It sounds like you are really serious because you are also scared of the new change you are going to make in your life. I really hope it works out for you.
Manda

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 1:26 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Welcome Alan! I just saw your post and wanted to comment. I have gone from H to Subs many, many years ago, and had a fairly large habit as I was taking 80mg oxys pretty regularly with it. I believe I started at 8mg (that was back when only the tabs were available, and not the films), and took another half (4mg) at night and that seemed to hold me fairly well. It wasn't all warm and fuzzy, but it was a hell of a lot better than being in full-blown H withdrawal. Listen to your body, and if it were me, I would start by taking 4mgs, and working your up from there until you're stable. What I have learned, from experience, is starting at too high of a dose also has some pretty negative side effects.

Let us know how it went, and how much you're taking. There are lots of great people on this forum!

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 2:28 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you so much for the support it means the world to me right now. I am still waiting to take my first dose which will be 4mgs then after that 4mgs and so on until I reach 16mgs or I feel good enough. I keep psyching myself about the whole thing and I don't know why, I have taken suboxone before and it always worked well. So anyway I'll chime back in tomorrow and let you guys know how it went. Again, thank you guys so much.

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 3:01 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hi Alan, I didn't see your post until today. I inducted April 13 or 14th of this year, can't remember the exact date and too lazy to check now, lol. I didn't use h, but had a rather high Norco habit. My dr had me wait 12 hours from last dose ( but I think they have different protocols depending on your DOC) and started at 4mg every half hour till I felt better. I felt much better at 8 mg, so we stopped and they had me make sure to take 4 mg more a few hours later, so my dose ended up being 12. At that point I was to wait until morning to take 8mg (they said 8am but I felt too bad and dosed at 5am) and then wait until 2pm and use the other 4mg. I have to space the dosing out during the day because of pain. It took about a week until I felt ok, but now I feel really good, actually I have cut it to 10, have been there a couple weeks now. I guess every body is different. As I go through this journey, I realize how brave people are to take that first step, so good luck to you and I hope your induction goes smooth. CC