It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:07 pm 

Hi Amanda, Welcome! You really have been all over the place with what you are taking and I am going to be honest, it does sound like you might be in search of a "high" feeling. No judgement, only you know the answer to that! That is really not going to happen. You do need to feel comfortable and you do need to feel free from cravings. I started at 24mgs and stayed there for a while. I made the decision to drop to 16mgs after a few months. Then 12mgs for a while then 8mgs and then 6mgs and now at 4mgs. It is true that less is more! Especially for me! I do take an extra 2mgs with symptoms of menopause every few months. I wish you all the luck and hope you find a dose that you feel comfortable with and that is working for you!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:23 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Razor, u read my mind. The 12mg today was ok, but id be lying if I said I wasn't thinking about pills all day... Good energy though! Feeling upbeat and positivi! Never thought * that* could happen without my pill bubble.
My question is, should I take the 16mg all at once in the morning to get added energy? (I think I can feel a little something from dosing high all at once but maybe its just my mind...) Or do 8 and 8...? Than youuuu

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 6:05 am 

Getting" energy is a byproduct of Buprenorphine sure, but it isn't the reason we take it .I know plenty of people who talk abujt that boost. Even when stablized on a said dose, what Im wanting is a feeling of normalcy and well being.

That is what this med gives. That is Buprenorphine to me anyway.
The best way to take this med is once a day for addiction. Some people take several times a day for pain. Still others chip at it many times a day witch is total addict behavior and ruins the chances of always needing to reach for something.

Id take it once a day in the morning and get on with the day. Also, you were thinking about pills at 12mgs? There maybe other reasons for that too. Not just 12mgs. Hopefully you can stablize in the next few days.

Razor.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 8:25 am 

I agree that ur searching for something that's not gonna happen amanda. If u felt any type of "energy" from sub, that was in the beginning, when sub gets into ur system and the more u take it, ur just going to feel "normal". I hope that made sense. But I can totally see ur searching for something that's not going to happen. When I first started suboxone, I was so relieved to be out of withdrawal and relief of cravings that even though I did miss the high pills gave me, I was ok and happy to just feel normal again.

Also, ur all over the place like Michelle said. U have to find a dose and stay there. Ur body isn't used to any dose imo, because ur never staying the same. I'm not sure I get why some doctors let patients decide their own dose because we're addicts lol of course we'll choose the highest possible right? U gotta have discipline in recovery. U gotta learn to follow rules, so letting us decide our own dose can cause chaos. Regardless if u think ur dose needs adjusted, if u don't stick with one specific dose then ur never gonna know because ur all over the place.

Sub has a ceiling level, u can go as high on dosage as u want but you'll never feel any different. That ceiling is around 4 to 8 mg (8 imo). That's why this medicine is designed for addicts, u can't get a buzz no matter how much u take. Just find u a dose, take it all at once like ur supposed to and stick to a routine.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 10:09 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

You're right, guys.... I feel like a jackass.. I'm just very confused. I wish there was a way someone could reassure me 100% like, " THIS is the dose you should be on, Amanda...". But I don't have that so I'm " trying on" all these different doses for size. I will say that yesterday I only dosed once in the morning, 12mg and didn't feel the need to take any more throughout the day, but was still thinking about pills.. I guess I'll tell my doctor all this on Monday. I'm feeling a bit ashamed today that it's taking me a while to get this under control and get it right... I have mood issues as well that seem to be reappearing now that I'm not numbing myself from them on the pills.
I appreciate everyone's input immensely. This forum has been a godsend.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 10:39 am 

Amanda dont be to hard on yourself, you are new to all this. Its your recovery and in time you will get stable Your learning new things everyday your here.

I can not stress enough the importance of learning all you can about this medication.
Dr Junig sTalkzone is a great place to read up on it. So much good information there. From doesing dosing to absorbtion, witch is equally important as much as mgs you take.

Also, use the search box for questions at the top of the page.

Rome wasn't built in a day Amanda hang in there. The desire to use will be lifted one day, soon. :D

Razor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:12 am 

Good morning Amanda, Yes, I agree with Razor! Do not be so hard on yourself! It can take a little time to find the dosage that is going to work best for you. I dose twice a day...2mgs at 5am and 2mgs at 5pm. This is what works for me. Suboxone helps with the pain in my knees from osteoarthritis. Most importantly, you are on the road to recovery! You have done the best thing possible for yourself! You need to be feeling very proud of the decision you have made! Please know, you have friends here who care! Have a wonderful day!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 11:27 am 

Hey Amanda,

I think once ur bk to see ur dr, you'll feel better about what dose to be on. I totally understand why ur dosing has been all over the place because ur dr pretty much left it up to u. If my dr would have done that, I'd been all over the place too, trust me. The reason I think it's important to take ur dose all at once, especially in the beginning of ur treatment, is because ur getting it all at once and u don't worry with it anymore the rest of the day. Some doctors (not all) want ya to do it that way because it keeps the addict brain thinking it needs to take something throughout the day like u did while using. However if ur dealing with pain issues, then splitting ur dose works a lot better. It's up to u really about all that.

U should take all ur concerns and worries to ur dr, that's what he's there for. Ur doing great. This is all new and first and foremost u took the step to suboxone treatment.

I know you've been confused and worried that ur gonna choose the wrong dose. But just try to tell urself that this will all work itself out. Maybe find ya something new to do like a hobby or shopping, just to get out of ur own head a little while. We're so used to using that when u take that away, it leaves a hole in our day that we dont know what to fill it with.

Let us know how ur doctors appointment goes next time u go :)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 5:49 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi guys!
Before I go any further I just want to say thank you so much for all your encouragement and well wishes. Its so nice to be able to talk to people who have been down this road and who actually care about my well being. Its so so helpful I can't stress that enough.
So! I went to my doctor this morning. I told her I took 16mg all at once and I felt good on it but sleepy. ( would a 16 mg dose all at once commonly make one sleepy?) So I settled on14mg. All at once and in the morning. She said if that's where I feel comfortable then that's where I should stay for a while and can always taper if I want to in the future. She also prescribed me clonazepam for my anxiety, once in the evening before bed.
Does anyone know of a dosage that will provide energy instead of lethargy? Just curious. For me, I think I'm doing ok with the 14 mg but extra energy would suit me better... maybe I should just start drinking coffee instead loll
Jennifer, I do agree that ditching the pill habit left a big hole. I bought a bicycle and have been riding it when I feel bored or romanticize about pills. the idea is to lose the 30 pounds I put on in the short 9 months of daily use... To feel better about myself.

Does anyone ever romanticize about their DOC while on suboxone? I'm not talking about cravings but just... remembering fondly I guess? I'm scared I'll never have that little bit of fuzzy happiness again broom oxy and i know that can cause folks to relapse... I don't want that to happen. Is there a difference between cravings and fondly reminiscing? Maybe I'll ask my doctor that next time I see her...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:47 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

A "fond memory" is most definately a craving and it's just something you'll have to deal with. I have been off heroin almost 6 years and still think about it sometimes and even have nightmares about relapsing, it gets easier to just push aside the longer your sober tho. Be careful with the benzos and suboxone I used to abuse the two together to get a high when I was unable to get my other drugs.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:02 am 

I think u decided on a great dose! And yeah, in the beginning I would get sleepy after dosing so that happens to some ppl. U know what I did and still do sometimes, whenever I start to feel that sleepy feeling I immediately get up and do something. Do housework or exercise. ..anything at all to get rid of that sleepy feeling. You'll learn urself all these things as u adjust to ur med, remember it can take 2 weeks to a month sometimes to adjust fully.

The main reason I took opiates was for energy in the beginning, I was a mother of 3 small children doing it mainly by myself. I was working a very stressful job full time.....I needed energy lol. So that's what hooked me on it. Once I started suboxone, that energy I'd craved all that time and getting from my doc was gone and I really missed it. But u just have to get used to it and get energy the natural way our bodies are supposed to....does that make any sense? It takes getting used to that's for sure. The more u exercise though, you'll have more energy.

Just wanted to tell ya that everything ur feeling is normal and you'll adjust I promise :)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:28 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

[color=#FF0000]"I have a job bartending, I'm very social and "fun" when i take the pills and even tho I think I've come to realize that I don't need to depend on the pills to be that lively fun person, my addiction still speaks loudly and tells me I'm going to crash and burn without them. I'm going to be depressed and boring. No spark. And thats my biggest nightmare...living a life without any zest and reason to smile and laugh[/u]". You said

Do you know what is wierd? Is that I am the complete opposite and I even think completely different than you. If anything pills dampen or dull the spark that I have. I swear that subs and pills kill that "spark" of creativity that we are all born with. I remember when I was sober for 2 years, all I wanted to do was write and record music and I had so much energy. For me pills definetly killed my social life and creative spark.