It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Inducted today
PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:11 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Hello everyone, I've been gathering information from this site for quite sometime so I figured I should share my story for anyone who may find it helpful as well as to get any questions answered that I may have.

My story. I'm 29 years old and a former Marine (2004-2008) with combat tours in Iraq. For years and years I was an alcoholic, especially in the years returning from Iraq. I have been diagnosed with depression, anxiety, and PTSD. About three years ago I quit drinking and I began taking the painkiller Norco (10/325). It started out taking 3-5 pills a day but quickly grew to taking 15+ (150mg+ of hydrocodone per day). I was spending about $2,000 a month on the pills. I went through a divorce, lost my apartment and moved back in with my parents. Needless to say the pills were destroying my life and my relationships. I knew I needed a change and I finally gathered the courage to go to the opiate treatment center at the VA.

I went in for my initial consultation yesterday. First, the nurse took all of my information and I had to provide a urine sample. When I entered the doctors office, there were three doctors sitting down and they proceeded to ask me a myriad of questions. They decided that Suboxone was the best route for me. I was told to stop taking Norcos at that moment so I could be inducted today. That would mean about 24 hours without taking any pills. I was terrified, I had not gone even an hour and a half without taking a Norco in about 3 years (except for once when I was unable to obtain any Norcos for one day in which I became incredibly ill). So, yesterday after my appointment I went to pick up my prescription of Suboxone (8mg buprenorphine/2mg naloxone) from the pharmacy. There were four pills and the bottle had a tamper seal on it to ensure I did not take any until I arrived the next day at my appointment. To prepare for my impending withdrawals I got my clothes ready for the next day, showered, and crawled into bed to wait. I'm a university student and luckily finals are over. I didn't feel too bad until about 10 pm, that is when I began to sweat profusely even though I was cold and get chills. At about 2 am the diarrhea started, and a couple hours later I was sneezing constantly with a runny nose and my body began to ache, as well as a pretty bad headache. I have to say that the worst part about my withdrawal was not the physical symptoms, but the emotional ones. I became extremely depressed about my divorce and the amount of money I had spent on the pills, almost to the point of crying. It was the most intense depression I have ever felt in my life. I was tempted to grab my bottle of pills and take one, but I just kept thinking "only a few more hours, you can do this."

Eventually, the time came to go to my appointment. I was feeling pretty darn bad at this point but I was also feeling so hopeful that I could actually stop spending so much money on this addiction and not have to rely on the pills. When I arrived, the nurse took my vital signs. My heart rate was at 102 bpm while sitting. They immediately took me into the doctors office where the same three doctors from the previous day were sitting. They proceeded to ask me questions and evaluate me based on the COWS sheet which looks similar to this http://www.naabt.org/documents/cows_ind ... _sheet.pdf . The withdrawals were very intense at this point, I even had goosebumps and my hair was standing straight up on my arms. Finally, one of the doctor opened the bottle of Suboxone and gave me one 8mg pill. He told me to be sure to dissolve it completely under my tongue. It had a very bitter taste, and had a slight orange taste to it. At this point they told me to wait in the waiting room for 30 mins and they would call me back in. I was so afraid that I may have not waited long enough after hearing people's experience with precipitated withdrawal. Within about 20 minutes I BEGAN TO FEEL BETTER. I was amazed. At 30 minutes, I was feeling pretty good, but still sweaty and slightly shaky, with a little bit of stomach cramps still. The doctors called me back into their office where they once again evaluated me according the COWS worksheet. I believe my score the second time was 12. They then gave me half of one pills (4mg) and do the same thing - dissolve under tongue, wait. After about 30 mins, I felt GREAT. I was back to myself! With absolutely no craving to take a Norco! They called me back into their office where they once again evaluated me with the COWS sheet. They told me that 12mg would be my maintenance dose and I would have to return the next day to evaluate me once again.

All I can say is that it seems that Suboxone is a lifesaver for me. I am so happy that I did this, and I'm so hopeful for my future now. If you are addicted to an opiate, please just know that there is hope. One day of withdrawal is a small price to pay for life without your drug of choice.

I only have a few questions for those of you have gone through the induction process. Did you have any breakthrough withdrawal symptoms during the first few days? My doctor told me that this is possible. Since I'm only taking it once a day, does it wear off as the day goes on? I'm so worried that this feeling will fade and I will crave the Norcos again. Also, I feel slightly tired and a little "spacey" is this normal? It's not severe, just slight.

Thank you to everyone on this board. I have gained so much knowledge here, reading through these posts has let me know what to expect for the most part. Thank you!

Post subject: Re: Inducted today
PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:09 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Buprenorphine has a long half-life that makes it ideal for once daily dosing.

You're only a few hours into what would without buprenorphine is usually a total nightmare, so at this early point I'd say any small issues you're having can likely be chalked up to being only a few hours removed from your drug of choice/active addiction.

Give it some time, stabilize over the course of the next couple days and understand that you've made the important and powerful step of putting the ups and downs and obsession of active addiction in remission! Congratulations!

540 Greenhaven Road #201|Anoka, MN 55303
(763)250.0702
http://www.facebook.com/TpnServiceCompanies
Person-centered counseling, education, advocacy, referral services and assessments.

Post subject: Re: Inducted today
PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:54 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Hey twincities, thank you for the response. Last night I did feel like I was going back into withdrawal around 2 am - joint aches, stomach cramps, sweating. I took my next dose at 7:30 am and it alleviated all my symptoms. I just got back from my appointment in which I received a week supply. Right now I'm just feeling hopeful about my future, I honestly have not felt this good in years. :D