It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: INDUCED TODAY!
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:37 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

OK, so I wanted to start a new thread being that I FINALLY (months of waiting) got induced today! It was the weirdest situation! Everyone that read my other post knows about my cooky Dr. Well, It started off like this, I walked in withdrawing. He asked how I did (referring to the taper plan he asked me to do 10 days prior. I told him the truth that I did it prefect until the last two days that I remained on 4 pills instead of 3. And that I was prescribed cough syrup with codene while tapering (not much). I was honest. He had a panic attack. Told me to never let that happen again or he will never help me. He was too busy trying to save people's lives for me to not follow directions. The he tells me to "look into his brain, as he looked into mine" lol, I tried so hard not to smile, even though my stomach was cramping. He says that he was trying to "blunt" the trasition from the pills to the subs. Anyway FINALLY he gives me the prescription!! He doesn't induce me there which is strange. Doesn't tell me how to use the medicine, again weird, but I was just ready to get it, so I left, off to the pharmacy. I read the prescription....8mg twice a day. I really thought I only need 4mg twice a day, but he is the doctor and I was told to follow directions or be dropped......so I filled the prescription and read the directions on how to take it since the Dr. did not explain. I popped it under my tounge and waited....ewww....
BUT....it worked. No PW.... I feel better already. Maybe 8mg was enough. I feel a little light headed and a little energetic but maybe thats just me being exited? I don't know. I go back it two weeks. I am on the road to RECOVERY!!
Kristin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:09 pm 
Yea!! So glad you posted. You hung in there and finally it has paid off!! Your doctor sounds a little nutty, but that's okay. You got that Rx and got started. So strange that he put so much emphasis on you doing that weird tapering program, but then turns around and gives you no specific instructions and sends you home to do your own induction!! Very strange indeed.
My doc started me out on more Suboxone than I really needed also. That seems to be a pretty common practice. I would suggest going ahead and following his instructions to the letter here for the next couple of weeks since obviously he's kind of a control freak! 16mg/day is not an out of bounds dosage to start with anyway, not unreasonable at all from what I understand, so just go with it and I think you'll do fine. It's amazing how quickly this stuff works to aleviate w/d symptoms and cravings, isn't it?!
Let yourself settle in for a bit and then get started working on your recovery program, whatever form that takes. Suboxone alone is a wonderful and powerful tool in this thing, but you'll have to work on your addiction from other angles as well.
Congrats girl! Welcome to the club!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:29 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

WHAHOOO!!

You are on the road! I agree with setmefree - nutty doc, but please follow his instructions to the letter (to avoid any other "look into my brain" moments in the future.

Still you have your own resources as much of your recovery path (sad as it sounds) appears to be up to you. You found this site, you found sane people, and WAY TO GO!

I read/listened and everything to how I would be induced at the doctor's office, etc. Contrary to the suboxone site video, I was given a script exactly how you were- but I was given a pamphlet about the under the tongue taking of the medicine (light conversation about it). Still, my doc is really terrific - so I just did as you did - left - filled the script and have followed his advice.

I hope you are looking for other support sources as well. I am working through my employer to get into a therapist - that will take a co-pay. That intake visit is today. I hope and pray you can do the same - either meetings, forums, counseling, etc.

WAY TO GO AGAIN! Looking forward to hearing more in the future from you!

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:53 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Ok, ummm the 8mg might be a little much. I felt ok at first. Then I sort of got a head ache. I took a 600mg ibprofen. About 20 minutes later I needed to vomit terribly. I couldn't and the feeling hasn't gone away since. I feel like I could fall asleep any second, when just earlier I was fine. I can barley keep my eyes open to type this...
How many mg are you guys on?
What were you taking before?
Does this go away or should I go down on my dose. My Dr. told me to call him tomorrow and let him know what was going on.
and just FYI incase you didnt remember I was at the most taking lorcets 10/650mg codene/act. 10 a day. I really thought that I would have been maybe 4mg twice a day for the subs??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:56 pm 
I'm sorry you're not feeling very well. I've been on Sub for 4 months now. When I first started my doc had me dose in 4mg increments as often as every two hours as needed for w/d symptoms or cravings, not to exceed 32mg total per day. That way I was able to have a little more control over any potential side effects and get as much Sub as needed in order to determine an 'ideal' dose ultimately. I liked the way my doc did that. It gave me some control over my dosing. However, according to him my target daily dose was to be 24mg/day. He said that's usually what is necessary to stabilize. I never needed that much - stabilized for my first month or so at 12-16mg/day, then went to 8mg, now 4 for the last 2 weeks or so.
To backtrack a little more, what I was taking drug wise at the time I was induced was approx what you'd been doing, actually a little less. In the months preceeding my induction I was taking anywhere from 30 - 60mg or so of hydrocodone or oxycodone. I had taken much more than that amount in the past, but that's what I was doing at the time. Now I have heard varying opinions on whether what or how much a person was on before really has any bearing on how much Sub you'll need. That being the case, you might just want to not think so much about that part of things and just focus on getting where you need to be with your Sub.
The headache is very common and I think some nausea is as well. I will testify to the headaches for sure. They were immediately cured when I did as recommended on this forum and spit out the yuck left over after dissolving the Sub and holding the spit in my mouth for 15 minutes or so.
I know you don't feel good, but otherwise how are you feeling? Are your withdrawals alleviated? Any cravings (prob not being that you feel like puking!)
Hang in there and don't give up! Maybe you can lie down for a bit or try to eat some crackers or drink something with some sugar. If the headache and nausea ease up after that - get up and try to busy yourself and keep your mind occupied. This is just a little bump in the road and doesn't mean this won't ultimately work out fine for you.
If you are still not feeling well when it's time for your next dose, I would probably hold on it. If, later on you start feeling w/d, maybe try half or a quarter of a tab and see how that works. Only concern with that being that you'll be deviating from your "get in my brain" doctor's orders. Oh well, that you will have to judge for yourself. But in my opinion, this is too important to get hung up on his hangups! If you have to fudge just a little and say "yes I did what you said" when in fact you took a half a pill instead of a whole - oh well! I want you to succeed, that's all!
Hang on sweetie. God bless. You'll be alright! PM me if you want or just post a reply so we'll know you're okay.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:27 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Glad to see you have started life without the hell of active addiction.Please be sure to get some counseling, addiction education, or support meetings because it is very important to your recovery.Suboxone is a wonderful tool, when combined with other tools.

Post subject: My Experience
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:55 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Hi krisgrace,
First let me add my congrats on your starting your recovery..
I was using 300 - 350mgs of oxycodone / day when I got on Suboxone.... That was 2-2-2009....
I am on 16mgs of subox per day . I have had no problems at all. My induction was done in the Dr.'s office 2mgs / hr. till they got 14mgs in me and that's when I felt like I might live thru this addiction after all... counseling is part of my recovery program and I find it is helpfull. I am also a recovering alcoholic (since 6-8-09) so I have been very busy on recovery issuses!!! I go to AA and my counselor regularly and am feeling OK?? I have a long road ahead but willing to start on that path.. Anyway best of luck on your recovery I hope some of this info is helpfull to you.
Keep your head up.

Best of luck
God Bless
TW

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:22 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you all for your wonderful comments! I felt better as the day progressed yesterday! My official Sobriety date is 11/5/2009!! Today I only took half of the 8mg tablet. This afternoon I will take the other half, and if I need another half tonight I will take it and not I wont. I feel free. I feel sort of tired right after I take it. I feel a little emotional and VERY thirsty! I am very thankful! I do go to couseling. I don't go to meetings but I do have this site and another site that is very actuve that is like my very own online 24 hr. NA meeting. I have support 24/7, I feel great about this.
Kristin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:29 pm 
I'm so glad to hear you're feeling better. It is great isn't it? Such a feeling of freedom and it will only get better as time goes on! I'm glad you're in counseling, hopefully with a good therapist. Sometimes that's hard to find. Now that you can live and function without the obsession of the pills, you'll probably be able to make some good progress. I'm happy for you. Your dosing plan sounds very reasonable. How'd your doc take it? or did you fudge a little and tell him you were doing EXACTLY as he said?! Keep us updated on how it's going.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:49 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Don't worry too much about the vomiting! THere will be ups and downs. I got nauseus a bunch when I first started. Had some rough patches of sleepiness, etc. Don't worry, it will go away and life will be all good again. I'm 1 year on and down to almost taking crumbs of suboxone. I'm completely happy with that. During my first month I had some weird days with energy and upset stomach but it went away.

Oh yeah and my doc is a complete nut case too. I totally "put up" with him to keep getting my script. I get my real info and share my real experiences here...not with him.