It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: NA vs Individual Therapy
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 12:29 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Good morning everyone!
So yesterday I had an appointment with my dr and although he is not forcing the issue yet, he does say that I have to begin some sort of participation in either NA or start therapy sometime soon. Also, I myself want to be successful w/ my recovery and in all honesty I don't have a real plan besides sub so far. So here is my question: do any of you recommend one over the other when it comes to NA or individual therapy? Honestly, I am very leary to go into a local NA meeting bc of the embarrassment faftor. I do NOT want to run into anyone I know. My addiction is only known by me, my dr, my brother, mother, & my bf. I come from a small-ish town where people are very gossipy and I don't know if I could take being discovered by everyone in my community.
What do you guys think? I have insurance to cover ind.therapy if that is what I choose. But I value the opinions of many of you and am anxious to hear your input.

Amy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 1:48 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

NA will work for you if you want it to. Nothing compares to being able to talk to tons of other addicts with similar experiences. Nothing.

Now.

Individual therapy is just a tell you what you need to hear/do no real wrong session for money. IMHO.

NA is always bashed because some groups have one or two people that raise hell about being on suboxone. Well. DON'T TELL ANYONE THEN! Lol. I've been going to meetings for almost 2 years this go round and have never had anyone say anything to me about it. Except one dick face that is the sub nazi lol.

I tell people in NA that I trust. They probably tell others but I don't care. NA gas helped me is so many ways that individual therapy never did.

So.

Don't just not go to NA because of fear of seeing someone, fear of being Told how clean you are, being found out, etc. Go because you WANT TO CHANGE AND LEARN TO STAY CLEAN.

People are always going to be people. Drama will happen. Doesn't mean you have to be involved.

I can't stress enough how much you shouldn't worry.

But still remember... If someone preaches about how those on suboxone aren't clean.... Ect.... Don't storm out and throw a fit like so many others on here. Just let them say it. They are right anyways. They are cleaner than we are and hats off to them. But it shouldn't make you want to leave or angry. It just is. So. You just gotta let some people say what they're gonna say and ten move on.

Like if a person on the street told you that you were going to burn in hell because you didn't go to church as often as they did... Would you throw a temper tantrum about how angry you are at that guy and how you can't believe they would say such a thing?

Hmm.

NA is my first choice. But. Therapy isn't horrible. Just different. Not a room of addicts to talk to. Just a book with a face... That you are paying to be nice... Lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 3:49 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I've been to therapy in the past and wasn't too thrilled with it. I didn't feel like I got much out of it. Recently I have been going to AA and I love it. Nobody is going to ask you if you're on suboxone and in my experience if you say you're an addict they don't even ask you what drug you were addicted to. Even if you see somebody you recognize in AA or NA they aren't going to go tell everyone you were there. Remember they are there for the same thing you are! AA and NA are a huge support system of people who have been there done that and they can provide support outside of meetings as well which is something therapy can't do. I'd say before you make up your mind at least go to a few AA or NA meetings.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 4:13 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I got a lot more from my addiction counselor than I did NA. My addiction counselor is trained to work with addicts and counsel them. The people in NA, for the most part, don't have any real training. They're basically following the principles laid out in the Big Book or the Basic Text.

I'm not trying to knock NA, I did learn a few things while there, I just happened to do a lot better with one on one counseling from a professional.

My advice to you would be try both and see what works best for you. I understand you're from a small town and don't wanna run into anyone you know at an NA meeting, same goes for me. I ended up driving about 40 minutes to the "big city" to go to my NA meetings.

Bottom line is neither NA/AA or addiction counselors have the market cornered when it comes to recovery. Recovery is highly individual and you gotta do what works for you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 11:20 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Romeo wrote:
I got a lot more from my addiction counselor than I did NA. My addiction counselor is trained to work with addicts and counsel them.

I'm not trying to knock NA, I did learn a few things while there, I just happened to do a lot better with one on one counseling from a professional.

Recovery is highly individual and you gotta do what works for you.

I second all of the above!!!!!!

honestly,,,, I didn't like the NA meetings, here,,, BUT I did really like AA ....... they were MOSTLY addicts anyway, that weren't too impressed with the NA meetings, (here) small town, I guess.... :roll:

So,,, I did the AA thing for about six months,,, you really DO get "something" out of actually SEEING other faces,,, in MY opinion,,, doing the SAME THING you are trying to do............

I started seeing an addiction counselor,,, around eight months, on suboxone... and I learned SOOOO MUCH about my "inner self".... I mean, it might sound corny as hell,, but I really did KINDA figure out WHO I AM.... by going...
and I definitely couldn't have gotten that, from AA/NA

you might ask your dr. if you do not have insurance,, as I do not...... but I did find three different "clinics" around in my area that ALL work off "sliding scale" and one, that works as Non-profit, and you "pay what you can" basically....

so don't just "discount" therapy either, thinking you can't afford it.. there ARE therapists out there, who are 'recovering' themselves, and ALL ABOUT Helping others, not just the allmighty dollar....

and just like what I quoted,,,, you definitely need to find WHATEVER works for YOU ,,, and stick with it!!

MUCH easier said than done.....
check!!!

and of course,, GOOD LUCK in your journey :wink:

That's TRUE STRENGTH
http://almostoneyearclean.blogspot.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 12:40 am 

I've never been to NA, so I don't have much of an opinion on that. Except that it would piss me off if I went and wasn't allowed to share because I'm on suboxone. If I were to try group, it would probably be SMART Recovery, which isn't 12 step based. I do think that some sort of support group is important. That's why I come to this forum almost every day!

I also have an addictions counselor who has been extremely helpful. She has given me concrete tools to use in my recovery, and helped me sort through the reasons I picked up the addiction in the first place.

Amy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 9:56 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

In NA they say "What you see hear, and what you hear here, let it stay here..." The reality couldn't be further from the truth. People talk, and especially in a small town, I can imagine it wouldn't be long before word got out.

The quality of one-to-one counselling depends a lot on the counselor. I'd suggest if you're not getting what you need from your first counsellor, try another one. I understand options can be limited in a small town, but equally there's not much to lose should you shop around for someone better.

The AA thing people have suggested has some merit. I've known many addicts who end up doing more AA than NA, even when they have no issues with alcohol. The good thing about AA is that alcoholism is still more socially accepted than addiction to narcotics. Should word get out that you've been attending AA, people will likely be less judgmental than if word got out that you were an addict. You may find people will actually approach you from a place of compassion rather than judgment. I've even found telling the cops I'm attending AA meetings goes down a lot better than saying I'm a member in NA.

AA is also more open minded to pharmacotherapies like Suboxone than NA. NA by nature takes a more hardline approach to medication because many addicts in the rooms have issues with medication abuse. AA focuses more on alcohol, so what medication you choose to take is less of their business than in NA.

In your situation you might find that being linked into more than one support network helps you achieve the balance you're after. This forum is already obviously one of those. It can't hurt to check out AA as well as 1-on-1 counselling. The only negative behind mixing it up is that there can be conflicting opinions on recovery. In that case, take what you need and leave the rest.

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 6:19 am 
New Poster
New Poster

NA always depressed me I always relapsed going to NA because to me it was a place to find more drugs. PERHAPS I just didn't find the right group. Maybe thepeople I met just wawasn't as seriousv as I was. I Actually go to AA because of this.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:43 pm 

I'm new here but been on suboxone for over 2 yrs. I personally don't go to NA because they don't consider u in true recovery if ur on suboxone. And I know for myself I'm in a recovery that works for me. My clinic has group meetings that really help me. Especially if u have experience on subs u can inspire and help ppl who are new & poss struggling. It's sweet for everyone. Glad I found this forum it's awesome. Btw this is just my opinion, don't want to offend anyone with different beliefs :)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:18 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hello Jennjenn, we're glad to have you here. Many here who use sub as a mainstay of our recovery program feel the same way that you do. Glad to hear it's made a positive impact on your life as well.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:30 pm 

Hey Jenn, from what you have said I'm wondering if we are in the same clinic. Ha
We have a support group here also. It's not often I read here that others have support from there Dr's an clinic.
Does your Dr force NA meetings on you. Ours does. At least the first year. And your right, as much as I went and worked and tried, in the end, as there book and members say, You are the clean " fine.. I'm not, not like you" I learned quite a lot there, but just lately have left or whatever you want to call it.
Was told last week that most think I'm out using an bla, bla..
Anyway Jenn, welcome and maybe check out A.A. seems a better fit in some ways.
Keep posting..... Razor..

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:32 am 

Thank u Lizzie & Razor for welcoming me!! And yes razor my clinic has our own weekly meeting just for the patients on suboxone. They actually make u attend one on the day of ur induction also...they're required if ur a patient. I don't attend as often as I did because I only have to go once a month. It's basically a circle with ppl only on subs trying to get bk to life again. Thanks so much for welcoming me again!!!!