It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:02 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I have been on Suboxone for over 3 years now and about six months ago I switched to genric Buprenorphine because it is half the price of the Sub. films. I noticed it was very difficult to get my Dr. to agree to my switching though, and while I was on the generics I also noticed it became difficult to get her to return fax requests from my pharmacy. She also began treating me differently, she became very short with me and distant and would not return my phone calls. I decided it wasn't worth being an outcast so I went back on the Sub films., and sure enough my Dr. was back to her friendly self. Cut to three days ago. I am short on cash this month so I had the pharmacy request generic Bup. and I had to wait 2 and a half days for a response from the Dr and brush offs and outright lies by her assistant, and she DENIED the generic Bup. request but OK'd a Sub. flim refill. So I had to pay $95 for 10 Sub films instead of $75 for 20 Bup pills. What is the deal with this? The pharmacist said Suboxone may have some incentive program for Dr.'s. Is this possible? Doesn't that create a conflict of interest? Anyone know anything about this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:32 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

As far as Ive read ,,,,,
its mostly becuase RB has brainwashed everyone into believing you can "easily abuse'' the generic and not the suboxone films..........
now there's even talk of taking all buprenorphine PILLS off the market. they are already discontinueing the suboxone pills.

honestly, it all has to do with money, I mean they dont WANT to have any competition, ya know.

heres another thread about it.....
http://suboxforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=6001

and,,,, there is soposidly a generic film coming out soon,,, I HOPE
heres the link to info on that.
http://www.bdsi.com/BEMA_Buprenorphine.aspx (check out 'news' at the right of the page)

I'm also a 'self-payer'
fun, I know. but hey, beats the hell outta trying to pay for a 'habit' right????
I sure could never keep up with mine.
Paying 400 bucks a month for a perscription sucks, but its 'doable'

hope this helps a bit.
I feel your pain :roll:

That's TRUE STRENGTH
http://almostoneyearclean.blogspot.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:46 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

[font=Comic Sans MS]Just reading that, got me irritated. It's bad enough that society treats us all like a bunch of
junkies, not to mention most pharmacists. But, to have your own doctor treat you that way,
is flat out bullshit. I went through a situation the first month I was on sub where my doctor made
me feel worse than anyone ever has, about being an addict. So I know how that feels, and I
am sorry that your own doctor made you feel that way.

I did ask my doctor about this exact same thing a while back when I read this on the forum.
I asked him if doctors are given an 'INCENTIVE' for keeping patients on certain medications.
He said ABSOLUTELY. Now, I go to the VA, so the doctors there don't recieve any kind of
anything from anyone. But he said that when he had a private practice years ago, that he
was offered all kinds of incentives to keep patients on brand name meds, instead of the
generic.

I know that this doesn't make you feel any better, but I hope it at least answers your question.
Again, I'm sorry that you were treated that way. Take Care~[/font]

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:16 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Thanks for the kind words my friends. I was unaware that VA had a Suboxone program but I will look into that as I am a veteran as well. I am excited to hear about a generic film but the generic tabs dont bother me, I actually like it. I guess that is the addict in me. I used to chew my xanax bars because I liked the taste of those too, the horror. I was never an IV used and that was never a concern of my Dr.s in fact she asked me if I wanted subutex instead if Suboxone but she recommended the Suboxone because it was cheaper. She doesnt seem so concerned about cost now though. Clearly she is benefiting in some way. I'm presently looking for a new Dr.

Post subject: Sub Cost
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:08 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I read on this forum that up to 3 patients of a doctor could get free Suboxone?

Maybe you could talk to your doctor and get on the list to be 1 of the 3 who get them free from the manufacturer?

It may take a while though I have heard for a patient to drop out leaving an open spot for another patient to get in.

Post subject: BEMA
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:29 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

amber, just to prevent confusion. BEMA is not a generic Bupe. It potentially is a name brand competition to suboxone film. It has been in the clinical trial phase for quite a while. It is a sticker type deal that sticks to the inside of you cheek to deliver the Bupe all day long...the absorption is apparently much much better. Not sure it it will be FDA approves for addiction treatment or just pain management. Exciting stuff but it will NOT be cheaper than sub films as this pharmaceutical company needs someone to pay for the years of research!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:17 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

THANKYOU :D :D

I was HOPING they WILL "compete" with suboxone films,,,,
but I understand NOW what you mean, after explaining it...........

Its sooooo freaking expensive...... BUT it IS worth it, I will say that much. In MY area, the "generic bupe" is
not much cheaper than suboxone films.......
Honestly the generic doesnt last NEARLY as long for me, so I can get by on about half the amount
w/films......
the price difference to begin with, is only $3 per (bupe pill to film)
THEN, you factor in the COUPON, its even LESS of a difference.
and for me, needing another dose of the generic, it's "bout the same" price, all said and done.

Well that turned into a LONG thankyou!!!!!!!!!!!

OH, and YES there IS a patient assistance Program thru RB,,,, it lasts 12 perscriptions, up to 24mg (films) per day,
and EACH doctor can have THREE patients on the program.
If anyone wants ANY more information on this, I have the phone/fax numbers..... i was on the program for a year,
and it REALLY helped me :wink:
between my doctor, and that program, I honestly believe my life was saved.
ANYWAYS,
PM me, if you need more information.
THANKYOU, again TNDB :wink:

That's TRUE STRENGTH
http://almostoneyearclean.blogspot.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:52 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I would think that any 'kick-back' where a doc is paid (or receives anything of value) in exchange for prescribing a medication is illegal. The DEA, during my audit, asked if I require patients to use a specific pharmacy (I don't). Doing so would be illegal for patients on Medicare at least... And perhaps 'unprofessional' in other cases. If you smell a rat, report the situation to your state board.

There is a patient asst program limited to 2 patients per doc. Some docs have more spots: I have 3 myself. A person can only be covered for one year. I have a wait list for that program.

Post subject: True
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:08 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Kickbacks are bad, I agree....although I own a restaurant and on a daily basis we cater doctor offices of drug reps..reps feed the staff for a few mins of the doctors time..I'm cool with this..and also cool with the drug brand nick naks given to the doctor... clocks, pens, note pads, shirts, caps, etc etc. but money, tickets, etc... Uncool

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:27 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

What about golf clubs?

Post subject: Kickbacks
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:17 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I thought this article about doctors receiving kickbacks from companies was interesting, altough it may not necessarily apply to medicine, but makes me wonder if that could be happening too?

In its lawsuit, Millennium denied giving kickbacks or having a standing practice to retest negative drug samples. It accused Ameritox of a “smear campaign” and said the Baltimore based company was “notorious for engaging in fraudulent business practices to gain a competitive advantage.” In 2010, Ameritox paid $16.3 million in fines to the federal government to settle charges that it gave illegal kickbacks to doctors

http://www.americannewsreport.com/mille ... el-8814004

I hope to find info about drug prescribing kickbacks I read about earlier on the www