It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 4:10 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Just read a sensationalized May 10, 2016 NYTimes article - Imodium abuse w 2 deaths. I think this article is worth a mention given we have folks here that often effectively utilize Imodium/loperamide for WDs.
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/11/healt ... .html?_r=0 One on bup and one off bup. A link w in the article is worth a read http://www.annemergmed.com/article/S019 ... X/fulltext Keep in mind these were excessive imodium doses. Apparently, it can cross the blood brain barrier at mega doses.

The NYT article contains a link to another drug forum, which I'm wondering is referenced in this 2013 article http://www.drugandalcoholdependence.com ... 2/abstract Reportedly 70% of comments were for WDs and 25% were for a buzz.

Imo, this almost irreplaceable drug is safely used by many millions of people. The last thing needed is bout of panic making it hard to get, or turned into an expensive prescription drug. If no longer OTC, can you imagine all the increased ER visits for it? Folks w the runs - running for available bathrooms w WDs, IBS-D, Crohns, Celiac, post gallbladder, GI flu...??!!

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 4:44 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I would blame the reporters, but the article is ridiculous too. I am a peer reviewer for several journals; I would have questioned the comment in the abstract that the second patient treated his own addiction with buprenorphine.... and stopped buprenorphine 3 YEARS AGO. Think about the self-treatment process-- is it likely that the person took only buprenorphine until 3 years ago, and then switched to Imodium? If he hasn't taken buprenorphine for over three years, what's the relevance? The answer, of course, is that buprenorphine is a popular buzz-word right now... and the story captures attention if a person took buprenorphine '3 years ago'.

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 5:44 pm 

I've seen this! One of the stupidest things is that loperamide doesn't cross the Blood Brain Barrier!!

Amy

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 12:06 am 

I don't know if this is the article I read the other day or not (sorry didn't click the links yet) but the one I read was talking about ppl overdosing on Imodium. It also mentioned something about they could start doing Imodium like Sudafed in stores.....making ppl show ID for it or whatever. I wanted to post it here but I can't figure it out on my phone lol. I don't know if ppl are overdosing because of taking to much for withdrawal relief or ppl thinking it gets u high...but anyway I definitely read about this in some article the other day.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 5:22 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

lol I think it´s hilarious that they added a link to the website Bluelight!

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 6:01 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Dr J, thanks for pointing out the flaws in both articles! I wondered why they reached back to a guy off bup for 3 yrs...

jennjenn, yep, the talk was of restricting it like sudafed. Can you imagine a cruise ship w the norovirus and restricted imodium??? imo pepto/kaopectate are not as good and certainly not for wds.

Dhalia, yep, that other drug forum. And even worse, as mentioned in my first post, the NYTs article implied those 1290 posts there were all asking about how to abuse imodium but a later article I found said 70% were for wds, not for abuse. I also found it interesting that drug forums are searched and used in medical articles, especially that one!!