It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Immodium Question
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:29 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

So...I read that Immodium can help not only with the ...um....diahrea part of WD but also has some effect on the other symptons. So last night I guzzled a bit of it and felt GREAT....too great. So I googled it and people on other boards say it can be just at addictive as opiates! They said that the WD from immodium can be terrible. Anyone know anything about this? I'd love to have some help with some of my symptoms as I'm down to almost no sub and haven't taken a solid duece in a month:) and what not. What do you folks know? thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:42 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I know that the active ingredient in immodium is a weak opiate or opiate-type drug but that it doesn't cross the blood brain barrier. It only attaches to opiate receptors in your gut, which is why it can be sold over the counter.

I've heard you shouldn't take it all the tiime because it will cause "withdrawal" but I have no idea what that consists of. That's about all I know, hopefully someone who knows more will come along and answer your questions.

-Jack Kornfield

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:01 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Yes, doesnt cross the blood brain barrier. Any medicine is addictive. I know people that have gotten addictive to laxatives (couldnt poop without taking them) and benadryl for sleeping. I think the better word, is DEPENDENT, though.
I think you are fine taking immodium for detox. Millions of people do it and it works well. Just try and only take it when you need it. I think it would take massive amounts for extended periods to really cause a problem.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:06 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Thanks guys. Can you explain the "blood brain" thing? Does this mean that my brain doesn know I have immodium in my body? Do you think me feeling great last night was simply me having a good day or maybe my sub absorbed more or something?

DOOAQ...when you did the water taper did you feel like sometimes more sub absorbed than others? Seems like sometimes the water would wash it away or in different parts of your mouth or....make sense?