It is currently Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: NA (IMHO)
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:04 am 
New Poster
New Poster

I have found things in NA that may be of some use to someone else
I was first introduced to NA in 1984,(I still have one of their original pamphlets/meeting directories) By my then girlfriend who was shall we say"Less than Polite society"
I went to my first meeting in full blow Herion withdrawl,Didnt want to speak even if that were possiable,Two men approched me at the break with words of encouragement,hang in their ect,But most of the other "Memebers" were more interested in my GF,Because we additcts are not a very pleasant looking lot in that state,among other things,needless to say,I was resentfull,today i laugh at that memeory.any way..
I leaned that i must Stand while i am seated in order to watch "THE Passing Parade" I learned How to spot an "NA "pedestrian"and to not rely on someone who is just passing thru.
I learned that "THE PROGRAM" is not, REPEATE NOT the MEETINGS/SOCIAL: ACTIVITIES,
It is simply the steps,simple but not easy.
And probabnly the most important thing i learned,I can do anything as long as i only have to do it today.
If i am in need of some fellowship,and dont/cant go to a meeting I have the book,where i can read the traditions ect,and then the personal stories in the back,this is usually sufficent for me to get thru some of the ruffer spots in the road we all come accross from time too time.
NA left out in most of it's literature,meetings, the simple idea started 60 some odd years ago,By two old drunks One a respected doctor and the other a wall street tycoon
That the main purpose of this Programe is to allow you to reach a Higher power that you understand that can help you out of a seemingly helpless situation and send you into society as a usefull productive member of said society.
That simple but effective idea has been changed over the years with the different 12 step programs available,136 i beleive at last count. over the years i have been to many meeting ,stayed-up with newly clean people,started some meetings and after working the steps have noticed they now work me.
I am not clean today,i am suboxone and dont want to be anymore,its not that i hate it,it is that i do better completly abstinant,I am an Addict and i do not want to die on anything,i wish to meet my maker when my time comes, clean and only pray i get the chance.because i also learned you never know when your time is gonna be up.
These are some of the things that i learned in NA hope it helps thanx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:44 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I guess I must have missed this post somehow...but I wanted to thank you for sharing your insights and welcome you to the forum.

As far as being clean or not clean, I've said this before on the forum but I'll share my thoughts again here: I like to think of it as "in recovery" or "not in recovery" instead of in terms of being clean or not. Some people are able to work a recovery program and abstain totally and do very well. Others find that medication assisted treatment restores their sanity and makes life worth living again. Either way, if the person is working on their issues, growing and learning how to live a good, meaningful and satisfying life then that's what really matters, right?

And of course, there are addicts who manage to stay quit from drugs...but they never really recover any quality of life. For them, recovery through strict sobriety is elusive or even unobtainable. I sincerely hope those folks find their way to Suboxone or methadone or whatever medication might help save them someday. Now that doctors are viewing addiction as a disease, I really think that we will be seeing more and more medications developed to help put this horrible illness into remission or maybe even one day there will be a cure.

Until then we all have to find our own way to recovery. Learn all that we can, keep what works and leave the rest. I hope you find some peace of mind and maybe even some helpful info here on the forum. There are lots of good people with tons of experience here, so let us know if we can help.

-Jack Kornfield

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:50 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Wow what a powerful post SVT100.
Diary, You explain things so well! You put that into words perfectly! I always enjoy reading any post you write, you have such compassion for others and are so understanding even you if do not agree totally. I know Im going off the topic here I just felt compelled to say that.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:46 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Looks like SVT100 just popped in and popped out. That was a great post that I can really relate to. Hope you make it where you want to go, SVT100.