It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:08 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi Im having my 2nd child at 42! My daughter is 22 and i was not supposed to get pregnant - was 1 month away from hysterectomy! I had been coming from 12mg to 0 sub n 3 weeks. When I hit 2mg last week, wd's really started to hit me. Long story short I found out that wd from sub is bad for me & the baby & could cause premature labor - that tapering now is NOT reccomended. I was sO afraid that I'd b in withdrawals, AND go into labor AND she'd b premature AND possibly NAS anyway - & may even lose her.. I found a new doc n 1 day who said 'let's keep u on a low dose - that's safer for u & baby than that rapid taper... So - huge relief -temporary peace & I can focus on preparing for her! (I honestly felt I needed to cancel my baby shower n 2 weeks bc I'd n too sick!!). So as far as all that - good. I'm moving in a new direction.
Now, after reading all these stories I'm plagued with the upcoming treatment of me and my baby. I'm an extremely sensitive person I hate to say- always have been... Never could stand if someone was mad at me & always try to keep everyone happy. I think in high school (& I'm not bragging) this personality trait was the basis of being elected certain things like prom/ homecoming queen & ms. ___ high school. Bit that was 25 yrs ago & 'I ain't no queen no more'! Now this 'trait' is one I wish I could trade for bn more tough. Even a b***. Bc I get walked on alot& it's kept me from achieving certain things n life bc I avoid confrontation at all costs. I have become somewhat tougher naturally through the years but still a woos I guess lol! I kno... But Plz try not to judge me bout that stuff - my concern is still about a very real problem..!!,
( i should say i said all that so that i might could deter someone from sayin the good advice of 'dont worry about it- what they think'.. I eish i could do that!! I do try... )
Sooo - my concern/point is ... I can't imagine being treated like crap from nurses & doc's - staff bc of bn on subs. My obgyn knows rt now..
Anyone who's been through this: (1st of all - I feel for u - it's supposed to b a beautiful time of harmony that everyone should b working towards achieving as much as possible!!) is there something looking back that u wish u'd done different from check in time - or at any stage that u think may hav made them treat u more humanely? Anything u learned/ found out during it all that u could share with me?
I am going to do my best to b <2mg - hopefully less - wen I deliver... Would that makes a difference on telling them and/or who u tell?

**Although i did get addicted and am now, Ive been on it for pain management - has that made a diff. for anyone? ( tho it shouldn't!)
**Should I risk it and not let certain people kno in case she does NOT hav NAS? Who are these 'certain' people?
(Btw my new doc says hes had 23 moms deliver on subs around 4-6mg and not 1 had to stay for NAS!! Although personally I wonder what happened when they went home after 24hrs)...R
**Will the pediatrician b able to help stop harassment from everyone if she does end up n NICU?
**Does threatening work?
**I'm just wondering... What if I call the labor unit or go up there ahead of time & talk to them? That may sound ridiculous to whoevers reading this- I don't kno! That's y I'm asking 4 advice!!

I KNOW I need to b more able 'bone up' & grow some balls.. I just may surprise myself & let em havit if they try treating me like crap bc of their ignorance!!
I hope to hear from someone soon..

*** hatmaker- The info u gave me put me on the right path. I was able to research &verify what U said which led me to make the best possible decision for myself & my baby. The path I was on could've actually cost my baby's life!!! How do I thank u for something like that? Ill b forever greatful!! :) I still plan to come off - personally - but now I can with a slow taper on my own terms!****

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:15 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Oops - subject should've said, "ideas to STOP bad treatment... before it starts". Not 'PREVENT' ..before it starts'. (same thing -lol) :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:36 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

First of all, congratulations! I can definitely understand your apprehension and though my post is getting moved further down I wanted to link you to My Story so that you may be able to glean something that might help you in your situation. My honest opinion is that being very up front, open, and truthful is the BEST way to ensure that you are treated with respect. Your healthcare team wants the very best for you and will be appreciative of having all of your history and information to work with.

I had a very positive experience with my childbirth & I wish you the best with yours as well! :)