It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:23 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

First of all it cracks me up when people say they can 'barely take Subox" because of the taste. Seriously people. If you're like me, I don't even want to begin to list the things I have done (including licking a partially dissolved pill off of a public bathroom wall after tearing the sink out) to get my drug of choice.

One of my Subox group members suggested folding a business card in half, and taking a lighter or something and crushing it up BEFORE you put it under your tongue. Magic! It dissolves MUCH quicker than just waiting 30 minutes for it to dissolve. I'm sure for many of you this feels like "trigger" behavior, but you could also think of it like taking BC powder. This makes actually taking Subox a lot quicker/just my opinion...B

Post subject: PS
PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:26 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Sorry...I meant I licked it off of a public restroom FLOOR. Lovely, huh?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:54 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I've heard and passed on some tips as well-- thanks for yours! A couple others...

I've always recommended crushing the tab with one's teeth in a tiny volume of saliva, then using ALL of the mucous membrane surfaces-- it will greatly reduce the time for dosing and also increase absorption.

Try 'stunning' your taste buds first, by chewing an Altoid or tic-tac. Or put a small piece of a life-saver in your mouth along with the tab of Suboxone. Try sucking on an ice cube for a few minutes first... although that will cause vasoconstriction of the blood vessels, perhaps reducing absorption. Try pinching your nose while you chew and then spread around the dissolved tablet.

Do NOT dilute the saliva with any liquid; it is the concentration of buprenorphine that drives diffusion, and extra liquid will reduce absorption. Do NOT rinse your mouth out right after dosing; there will be a period of time, around 10-20 minutes, when the chemical buprenorphine is attached to the surfaces inside your mouth but not yet absorbed, and rinsing will ultimately reduce absorption.

Finally, many people say that they eventually 'associate' the taste of Suboxone with the feeling of relief-- all psychological, unless you are taking too little Suboxone-- and that association causes 'conditioning' so that they eventually LIKE the taste. Maybe that is part of RB's secret marketing strategy....!