It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Idea's for the forum!
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:32 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey Everyone!

So we all saw Dr. J's post about meeting to discuss ideas to further the forum and discuss problems we feel it has now. I was excited for the chat but understand how busy he is so I thought maybe we could start a thread of our idea's and Dr. J could read thru it when he has time. Like he said before I do not think it's appropriate or helpful to complain about any particular member. Thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts!

I am going to start by saying I emailed Dr. J about having a seperate membership like a "gold membership" or whatever you wanna call it. I notice a lot of other sites do this and think it might help to create some funds for the forum which has been a long standing problem. I suggested that he offered things like he posted, time with him, extra article's, maybe access to his e-book or the information he charges for at talk zone, maybe questions could be submitted and on a monthly basis he picks one to write about in a weekly/monthly news letter, these are just some ideas to pick from. I think a lot of people join hoping to pick Dr. J's brain and would be willing to pay extra for this. I know I would. If you think this is a good idea and can think of any other stuff that could be offered it would be great to hear.

Another thing I have noticed is that this forum in general (but not always) seems to be a bit harder on people who aren't having the greatest time on sub. It seems at times when people post about a side effect or something of that nature they are asked to support there claim or told sub doesn't cause that. I know it is hard to listen to someone say they think sub should only be used short term or whatever the case may be but I think that these people should have the right to post their points of view without demanding proof or being accused of telling everyone else that there method of recovery is wrong. We need to treat them the same. When someone posts about how happy they are and they can't understand why anyone would ever get off sub or that if you quit sub you are likely to relapse I notice nobody is accusing them of pushing there points of views upon others or demanding literature to back up their opinions (which in my opinion is the correct way). I know people here sometimes feel they can't be honest about their feelings or situation for fear of being called a sub hater and I do not think it should be that way, everyone should feel free to talk openly about their experience. I am not talking about someone saying "oh I hear that sub does so and so" I mean people's own exoeriences. I also think that if we engaged these so called "sub haters" in a more respectful and apropriate way we make may them see the good. Like the old saying "you catch more flies with honey" (or whatever, I am not the best at remebering metaphors)

I also notice that sometimes when someone posts about a bad experience or side effect from sub they are told to be careful because "we don't want to scare people away from sub" while I do not want to scare anyone either I think it is unresponsible to try to keep negative experiences quiet and only paint sub in a golden light. Anyone contemplating going on sub should have access to the good and the possible bad so they can make an informed decision.

Please know none of this is directed at any particular member nor is this always the case but I know when I came here I read thru almost every post before joining and debated joining, while I felt on one hand I learned a lot of valuable information I also felt there was an effort to silence the bad. I am glad I decided to join because this place is amazing and it has helped me so much but I think if I had these thoughts then others must have them too and how many didn't join? I am not knocking the forum because no place will ever be perfect I just see this as an area that we can improve.

Lastly, I think an effort by all members to greet newcomers and make them feel welcome and heard would keep more people coming back. I notice a lot of times that someone new can post and their post has had views but after a few days no one has commented, I have been making an effort to engage these new people so they do not post one or two times and then vanish. I know i am not the only one doing this and think if we all do it won't even take up much time. If your here and see a new poster and don't think you can answer there question or whatever just saying welcome can go a long way. Again I experienced this in the beginning and was just about to give up when I started feeling more like part of the forum, I posted an introduction and it had a lot of views but to this day no one has ever commented on it or said welcome. Obviously now I know that it's not for lack of caring people but when I was new I wondered.

These are just some things I have thought of and feel free to critique it in anyway you see fit. I do not want to sound down on the forum because by far this is the best place I have found hands down. This place and all of you wonderful people have helped me so much thru my recovery, before coming here I felt alone with my problems but after getting to know you all I feel very fortunate to have such caring people to talk to that understand where I am coming from. Unless you have been thru what we have it is impossible to understand or relate. I thank Dr. J and all of you for making this place what it is and I really hope that we can continue to grow and help more people. Thanks for listening!

Post subject: Good Stuff
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:47 pm 

Hi Brezzy_Ann,

You really put a lot of thought into that and I applaud you. I do like the idea of addressing the newcomers needs and also hate to see a post left unanswered. Some of them are tough to answer but a kind word would surely benefit the poster. Maybe a volunteer "Welcoming Committee" where a number of members would promise to at least try to answer all new posts.

The Sub bashing is another area I'm not I sure I agree with. There is a rule here to not bash any treatment method and I believe that is what is happening. A lot of us are concerned about scaring the new prospects. How about a section specially for the negative angle of all treatment methods with a warning on top informing the reader what to expect? Dunno, just a thought. It would still be bashing.

Thanks for putting this out there. It will be interesting to see the suggestions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:01 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I see what your saying and maybe I wasn't clear, it's so damn hard to put the right words together as your typing and the ideas are swirling around your head. I do not want it to be ok for someone to spout off nonsense about sub or just bashing it, I am talking about people that are having or have had legitamite issues. I am not saying that people should be able to tell someone else that they are wrong or staying on sub for life is bad for you. Not that kind of stuff. For example when someone is posting that they are having an issue on sub and want to get off or they just feel it is their time or for them personally or they don't see the benefit of remaining on sub or whatever their case maybe they should be able to post about it honestly without fear of being labeled a sub hater.

There is a bit of a double standard here, people who post about how great they are doing on sub, and there are repeated posts that say they can't understand why people would ever want off, or if you stop you will probably relapse and this is never challenged as pushing their views on others or saying there way is better, but if your experience has left you with the opposite belief and you posted that then you would definately be told not to impose your view on others or would be told that you are not respecting others method of recovery. I just think if you allow one then you should allow the other. I am not saying that any of these are my beliefs but I think consistency would make this a more reputable site.

I don't even know if I am saying exactly what I mean, I find it difficult to put into words what I am talking about sometimes, I guess I could say that for another example even posting this I am worried that I am going to offend someone or be thought of as anti sub. I just wish people could look at someone's individual experience and the view that it left them with without getting offended so easily.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:20 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Breezy, thanks for taking the time to make this thread.

The welcoming committee is a great idea. I'll ask Jim, maybe he can make badges for people to put by their names if they volunteer to be welcomers.

Regarding people posting negative experiences and getting bashed...I would really appreciate it if you could point me to some examples of this. My impression from reading the forum was that we had gotten better about accepting and supporting members with negative Suboxone experiences. I know that sometimes a person will post something about a bad experiences and some of the replies will tend to be defensive, but I have also seen many instances where members asked thoughtful questions and tried to give the poster advice, support and guidance. The defensiveness and anger was definitely a more pronounced problem in the past, and if it's starting to become an issue again I want to be able to address that.

I can't recall any recent instances where anyone got bashed for posting a negative experience, but if you know of any I would like to read them so that I can be aware of what's going on. Also, when you see this happening, please report the offensive post to a moderator so we can let the member know that it's not ok to jump down someone's throat just because they're having some kind of Suboxone side-effect.

Generally I see the forum as being pretty open to diverse experiences with Suboxone though. There are many threads in the Stopping Suboxone section where members have encouraged and supported each other through tapering, jumping or going cold-turkey off of Suboxone, and I have seen many instances of members helping each other get through various side effects, dosage problems, doctor issues, etc.

Of course, there's always room to improve and the best way for that to happen is for all of us to keep in mind that we are all here to help ourselves and each other in our recovery process and to try to always come from that place when we engage each other on the forum.

-Jack Kornfield

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:55 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

See once again I see I should have said things differently, I absolutely agree that it has improved. I should have said that above. As far as recent examples it seems like I recall some but will have to look thru. I think that it is better said that this is an area that has improved but I feel can continue to improve.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:59 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

First I'd like to say that this is by far the best online forum of any kind that I have ever come across. High quality posts, good topics suggested by the index and also there seem to be more longterm members on this forum than on others that I've looked at and that is something I like a lot--some consistency in the participators. It's good to be welcoming to newcomers of course, but it's great to have some feel of stable community by having people who stick around too.

Overall I just agree with DiaryofaQuitter's post, above. I want to mention that I really do not think I have ever read a post that told someone they will relapse if they discontinue their sub treatment. I HAVE repeatedly seen posts that mention the high rate of relapse for addiction and specifically the risk of relapsing after discontinuing sub and also comparison of relapse rate for long term vs short term sub treatment. I think that's all part of good info for people to consider. Ive also seen posts where people complain about side effects and they got responses that simply legitimately pointed out that the symptoms in question might not have been a result of taking sub. Sometimes it can be pretty hard to know and also sometimes people really do attribute a certain symptom to sub when the cause is actually undetermined. The decision of staying on sub or not is an individual one of course. I do think that people may sometimes be a bit defensive about sub treatment because it is badly misunderstood by so many people. In my opinion a certain amount of defensiveness is understandable. And this site does have a basically unapologetic pro-suboxone stance. That doesn't mean (and I don't think anyone here thinks otherwise) that sub treatment is perfect or that it's right for everyone and I also don't think it means that people here don't want anyone to say anything negative about sub. In fact people often mention problems they are having with their sub treatment and for the most part the responses I see to those posts are people chiming in about their own experiences and sharing about what helped them with whatever side effect or other issue is being discussed. And people talk about their reasons for discontinuing sub too, many many people here share about their experiences discontinung sub and quite a few people who haven't take sub in a long time are still posting regularly here. So it's pretty clear that the overall feeling on the forum is NOT against people wanting to stop taking it. I notice that people try to point out that sub treatment, even if not ideal, is a hugely better option than going back to the struggles of opiate addiction, which tends to get worse and worse over time, whereas it seems like most people are able to stabilize on sub treatment. It can be hard to get your sub treatment (or any treatment, hard to make ANY change to get out of an addiction cycle) started, finding a doctor and so forth can be a hassle. So I think people just want to encourage those who are struggling to seriously include sub treatment among their options.

As for the idea of a welcoming committee--I do think the forum could benefit from something like that and that it's been a pretty big problem for a while that there haven't been enough moderators around. Also, I'm not exactly sure how the whole moderator system works--it seems like all the moderators are moderators of all the areas of the forum...but I wonder if it would be a good idea to somehow divide up the duties or areas of the forum between the moderators or if some kind of scheduling system could be worked out. And here I'd like to add to that a big THANKYOU to all the mods (and to Dr. j of course, and all the other contributors) for all the time and energy they put in to help make this forum as good as it is.

As for the idea of some parts of the forum having a $ charge--well, I can say I don't think i would ever have joined the forum if it had cost money to do so. And if some things are added that have a $ cost to access, I doubt I'll ever use them. So...I have to say, I'm not for it. But maybe there could be more encouragement for donations somehow? Also, of course more money always means more options, but for the most part, what is the reason for wanting the forum to generate money?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:27 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

autononymous wrote:
Overall I just agree with DiaryofaQuitter's post, above. I want to mention that I really do not think I have ever read a post that told someone they will relapse if they discontinue their sub treatment. I HAVE repeatedly seen posts that mention the high rate of relapse for addiction and specifically the risk of relapsing after discontinuing sub and also comparison of relapse rate for long term vs short term sub treatment. I think that's all part of good info for people to consider. Ive also seen posts where people complain about side effects and they got responses that simply legitimately pointed out that the symptoms in question might not have been a result of taking sub. Sometimes it can be pretty hard to know and also sometimes people really do attribute a certain symptom to sub when the cause is actually undetermined. The decision of staying on sub or not is an individual one of course. I do think that people may sometimes be a bit defensive about sub treatment because it is badly misunderstood by so many people. In my opinion a certain amount of defensiveness is understandable. And this site does have a basically unapologetic pro-suboxone stance. That doesn't mean (and I don't think anyone here thinks otherwise) that sub treatment is perfect or that it's right for everyone and I also don't think it means that people here don't want anyone to say anything negative about sub. In fact people often mention problems they are having with their sub treatment and for the most part the responses I see to those posts are people chiming in about their own experiences and sharing about what helped them with whatever side effect or other issue is being discussed. And people talk about their reasons for discontinuing sub too, many many people here share about their experiences discontinung sub and quite a few people who haven't take sub in a long time are still posting regularly here. So it's pretty clear that the overall feeling on the forum is NOT against people wanting to stop taking it. I notice that people try to point out that sub treatment, even if not ideal, is a hugely better option than going back to the struggles of opiate addiction, which tends to get worse and worse over time, whereas it seems like most people are able to stabilize on sub treatment. It can be hard to get your sub treatment (or any treatment, hard to make ANY change to get out of an addiction cycle) started, finding a doctor and so forth can be a hassle. So I think people just want to encourage those who are struggling to seriously include sub treatment among their options.

I was having trouble putting my thoughts into words, but it seems auto was able to do it for me! Thanks, auto. :) I don't think I could have expressed it better and I did try. I don't think I can even add to it. So I'll just second this and leave it at that.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:52 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Thanks to those of you that have posted on this thread! While i asked for and welcome you sharing your views on the things I mentioned I also would like to hear if anyone has any ideas for the forum. So if anyone that has already posted or hasn't yet has anything they think could make the forum better or if there is an area you feel could be improved upon I would appreciate your thoughts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:29 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

This thread has brought up an important train of thought relating to my own discussions on this forum. Everyone knows I can be fairly critical of NA/AA at times. But am I equally critical of other methods of recovery, including Suboxone? I'll keep this in mind, I think. While it's completely natural for people to fall into states of bias - we're only human after all - it's a good idea to try to keep a tap on it.

True, this is a Suboxone forum. But I do feel we should try and stay ahead of our friends in other recovery groups by both conscientiously listening to their ideas, and arguments, and replying with objectivity and compassion. Now and then I've noticed some judgement sneaking into people's responses. No matter how ludicrous the statement / question may be, I think we should really ask ourselves whether being confrontational or judgemental will do this person's recovery any favours. And ultimately, that's what this place should be about no? Helping other people's recoveries.

I've also noticed a bit of the old "tough love" being directed towards newcomers. While I understand such comments are likely coming from a caring space, be aware that these people might be reaching out to a recovery based community for the first time every, and might have zero idea about the principle behind tough love. As such, it'd be too easy for these people to view the response as aggressive or just plain leave the forum on a misunderstanding. Tough love is a really hard one. For someone like Romeo, who we all know by now and for the best part know where his recovery's at, and how important his position is, and a bit of tough love might be just the ticket to bring him back in line (you love it :lol: ) . That's because by now we know him, and he knows it's from a caring space. Can we really direct this same form of recovery on complete newcomers who we have no idea about, based on a query that's one or two lines long? We really have no idea who these people are. The reason I say this is because I fell into this trap recently myself.

Personally, I do not feel it is our place to discourage people to taper off Suboxone. We should be really careful of this. The only way we can stay objective I feel would be to both refer a person with a query about tapering / stopping Suboxone to the numerous threads and people who have successfully tapered, as well as mentioning the negative study results of those who have tapered off. That way a person is given a balanced perspective on which to base their decision.

I've noticed people tend to answer questions on these forums recommending the path of recovery they've chosen for themselves. I'm guilty of this as well. ie I never want to give-in to staying on Suboxone for life, and as such you won't hear me recommend other people do the same. From now on, I will keep this in mind, and try to stay aware of when my personal conjecture edges into my advice.

All I can hope is that by the time the original poster has lost interest in their question, a diverse array of views has been expressed by the members of the forum. Isn't that the magic of the forum-mechanism? That after everyone has said their piece, the person who posed the question can compare the responses and come to an answer based from deduction? kinda wiki-subox like. Either that or run off with the response they love the most (ie yeah man cocaine isn't a bust :lol: )

Overall, a fantastic thread and has given much food for thought. Thank you.

PS: Not a big fan of the whole "gold-class" membership thing. Same as the gold-class cinema seats. Same as first-class air-travel. Maybe I'm a communist.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:43 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

not in to widening the forum to soon? probably a great idea for most" but i still find it complicating enough as it all ready is? :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:24 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

This is a great idea Breezy, a thread to discuss possible ways to improve the forum. Dr. J. himself said something to the effect of, "if this forum doesn't grow and evolve, it'll die." Because I think this forum is the best around, I would love to see it continue to grow.

Unfortunately, I really don't have any good ideas on how to grow the forum?? OOOooops, I just had an idea.

I don't know how in the heck to implement it, but I think more discussion of recovery would be a great idea. I think most of us believe that Suboxone alone is not the best course of action, I know that's my personal belief. I wish I would have spent more time while I was on Suboxone working on my recovery, but I didn't and now I'm paying the price.

To me, recovery is SO much more than just abstinence from drugs, it's changing the way we addicts act, the way we think and it's critical to a healthy life.

I am, by no means, an expert at recovery. Hell, I'm really just getting started at true recovery. I would like to see others not have to repeat the mistakes I made by not taking my recovery seriously. Like I said, I'm just not sure how we go about doing this on the forum??

Any ideas??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:28 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Again, thanks for the posts, I can see people would not be thrilled to pay to have more interaction from Dr. J. I just wanted to point out he/I was talking about $3 a month or $30 a year. A very small amount as I want everyone to be able to access it. So I heard an idea about donations maybe that is a better way to go. I wonder what you all think about more involvement from Dr. J? Would you like to see him answer more posts or have an hour chat session once a week/month? I do realize he is very busy but this thread is just about things we would like to happen, ultimately Dr. J would have to decide if he has the time to offer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:40 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Yeah, I'm not too big on the idea of paying for more services, even from Dr. Junig. When I heard that it made me think of the notion that people with money would have access to better health care and I don't believe in that. Even at only $3 a month.

I just wanted to put that out there. I'm not discouraging or putting down your idea, Breezy, I just wanted to state how I felt about it. Just one anonymous person's opinion.

I suggest we add a new category - actually maybe more than that - one for "RELAPSES" and one for "Addiction information" (or better yet call it, "What is addiction?"). The last time we discussed information related to what addiction means and how it affects our brains, we ended up with it in the "Why the Anger" category. I can't even recall how it got there.

Just a small idea. I'm sure I'll come up with others.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:06 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hat, I like those ideas!

I've tried to be very honest about my relapses because I want people to be informed. Whether on Suboxone or not, I think people need to know how shitty those relapses feel and the damage that can result from them.

I think any additional information on Addiction would be great too. There is SUCH misinformation flying around the general public as to what addiction really is that it's heartbreaking. Thanks to Hollywood, the general public thinks we're all a bunch of losers and most addicts, at least initially, consider themselves to be losers too. It would be great to at least get the addicts who come here to understand that they're not losers. They're sick people, they're not bad people!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:06 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I like that idea too, I have no hard feelings I was just throwing a way out there to generate some money for the forum. I want peoples honest thoughts. I know Dr. J says there are things he would like to do to better the forum but can't due to lack of funds. We could set up a way to accept donations but besides that are there any ideas out there?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:02 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I'll consider it if we get special medals.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:15 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Alright we could get a big golden suboxne tab to where around our necks, sound good? I think that would be pretty inconspicuous.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:06 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

nice'. that does't sound to difficult!! :lol:. i think it would be good for dr.J, to answer more post!
p.s. what about golden bracelets? 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:25 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Suboxforum key tags! 30 posts, 60 posts, 90 posts etc :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:54 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey Tear, by the way my son is a Mario Bros. fanatic and when he is sitting by me and sees you avatar he makes me leave it there forever. I explained what they are and that everyone picked them and he said, "wow mom he is so cool I didn't know big people like Mario too" he's 5 by the way. Just thought I would share because now everytime I see your posts all I can think about is my kid.