It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:36 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

During my 4th week on suboxone (28mg a day) I have experienced what I can only describe as hypnic jerks, while I'm awake. All of a sudden, my leg or arm will jerk. Last night was the worst though---I could not keep my legs still and I was having lots of hypnic jerks through the night. Sometimes it felt like my entire body sprang right up off of the bed.

And all of a sudden, I am experiencing nausea, and a general feeling of ill; I'm terribly sleepy and today when I had to do some grocery shopping, I found myself EXTREMELY irritated by the other shoppers, as if they were either in my way or got in my way, or were constantly bugging me, making too much noise, kids screaming, people blocking the aisles.....

Kinda got OT there, but has anyone experienced these hypnic types of jerks during wakefulness? Thanks... ~Molly

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:59 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I have those jerks when I am relaxed and on the verge of sleepimg.Perhaps you should try to lower your dose.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:12 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I'm on that dose to control chronic pain though. I don't know if I could stand lowering it and having that pain come back. It is due to spinal issues, a cyst growing on my spinal cord and ruptured/leaking lumbar discs and disease in my neck. My pain was about an 8 every day. Now it is practically gone.

Thanks for your opinion though!

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:40 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hello again, just wanted to update and let you guys know that last night I did NOT take my third 8 mg tablet of the day, which I usually took in the late afternoon/evening, and I didn't have any restless legs and only had one tiny hypnic jerk, a huge improvement over what I was experiencing. Maybe lowering my dose from 24mg to 16mg a day is what I need to go.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:58 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Bunny, I am on 16mg a day and I get these jerks too, mostly in my hands and legs but sometimes they run thru my body. I mostly et them while awake and seem to notice them in my hands quite a bit while typing, I hope lowering your dose does the trick!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:06 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

You might be able to get adequate pain control on 16 mg, split into two doses of 8 mg. That's my normal dose unless I'm having a bad pain day. Let us know if it takes care of your pain on the lower dose and also if the lower dose keeps those jerks away.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:36 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

hi ha and blbry-b" do any of you feel any discomfort after changing your sub dose' from more
intents pain? just curious.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:32 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hello you guys,

I saw my sub doctor today and he told me the jerks and twitches and runny nose are all part of still going through withdrawel. I've only been on suboxone for a month or so now. AND when I told him I was still having mild cravings, he upped my dosage to the max--- 32mg a day!! Assured me about how safe this medicine is, and that since it has taken away all of my back pain, there is no reason I could not stay on it for the rest of my life. (I'm only 43).

So the diarrhea I had last night, the upset queasy stomach and the restless legs and all are all symptoms of withdrawel, of which I can expect another month of.

Also, I have fractured my foot and it's been hurting for 3 months. I asked him why--how can it take away all of this chronic back pain, but not the lesser pain of my foot?---- and he said Suboxone works on a different neuro-pathway in the body.

Hope this helps some of you. ;-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:41 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Bunny, I don't know if you have looked at the responses to this same post under the side effects section but there is no way that you are experiencing withdrawls. You have been on sub for a month and I am guessing were at 24mg before he upped your dose. I hate to say a Dr. is wrong as I am not one but in this case he is. Withdrawl from full agonist opiates (except methadone) peaks from day 3-5 and is usually over at 7-10th days, you have been on sub for a month. Also your withdrawls would be stopped on a dose as high as yours. I have been on sub for nearly 5 months and the jerks have gotten more common as times gone on and I am absolutely not in withdrawl. I have talked to other members all of whom have been on sub longer than me that have this same problem and is actually looking like it is a fairly common side effect. Like I said I hate to tell someone their Dr is wrong but I am confident that you couldn't possible be in withdrawl, infact some of your problems might be caused by how strong your dose is, 32mg of sub is the largest prescribed dose. I do not mean to sound condecending and appreciate you posting info that you felt would help us! Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:12 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

melijm wrote:
I have those jerks when I am relaxed and on the verge of sleepimg.Perhaps you should try to lower your dose.

Me too. I usually get them at least once a night. I am going to try to keep close attention to it to see if it appears to lessen as my dose drops (on a slow taper)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:12 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hi Breezy Ann,

You know what?

I agree with you!

Doctors are NOT always right!! My psych/sub dr. says these are not side effects. And then I go to my primary care physician later that day, and he says they might be side effects and that I might experience withdrawel symptoms for another month or so. Well, it got me to thinking, how can that be, when the half life of lortabs and morphine is only several hours long? Hence, what you said---- withdrawel peaks at about day 3 - 7 or so. I swear, I don't know what I'd do without my Internet and all of the forums, where people like us come to share OUR experiences. We seem to figure this stuff out better than our own doctors!

There is NO way I am taking 32mg a day! I just can't see doing it. I seem to be fine on about 16mg a day so far.

Sometimes, you have to be your own advocate when it comes to your health!

Thanks to everyone here, for all of their feedback and opinions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:59 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey Bunny! I just wanted to say thanks for understanding what I was saying. I hate correcting things people post because I don't want to come of as a know it all or offend anyone. I am glad you didn't take it that way. I sometimes wonder if some of these sub docs know a thing about sub, opiates or addiction. I am just a housewife and even I know what he said makes no sense and he has a doctorate! I am glad you found a dose that is controlling your pain, I too am on 16 and still have pain but the sub has improved it. I read on another post about your mom and I am so sorry, watching a person you love change so drastically is devastating. You are a wonderful daughter and I hope you get as much quality time with your mom as possible. I went thru this with my grandfather 3 years ago and I cherished the "good" times he would have, for a while he would be back but it never lasted. He had lung cancer that had spread to his brain. I was very close to him. One day he fell asleep and me, my mom, my grandma and his 2 other daughters were around his bed, holding his hand as he took his last breath. It was very sad to know he was gone but he wasn't suffering anymore and he had all of us with him. I was 9 months pregnant with my 2nd son and he was born 6 days later and I named him after my grandpa. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your mom.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:26 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

blackberrybunny wrote:
Hi Breezy Ann,

You know what?

I agree with you!

Doctors are NOT always right!! My psych/sub dr. says these are not side effects. And then I go to my primary care physician later that day, and he says they might be side effects and that I might experience withdrawel symptoms for another month or so. Well, it got me to thinking, how can that be, when the half life of lortabs and morphine is only several hours long? Hence, what you said---- withdrawel peaks at about day 3 - 7 or so. I swear, I don't know what I'd do without my Internet and all of the forums, where people like us come to share OUR experiences. We seem to figure this stuff out better than our own doctors!

There is NO way I am taking 32mg a day! I just can't see doing it. I seem to be fine on about 16mg a day so far.

Sometimes, you have to be your own advocate when it comes to your health!

Thanks to everyone here, for all of their feedback and opinions.

We should trust our doctors though. People often discredit them far too easily. I often find that many (I do this myself) will usually find the information that I want to hear and than go with that. Basically I am suggesting that many of us have a bias when looking for medical info.

I asked my doctor almost a month ago about the "shocks", she said she wasn't exactly sure. I am also on a few other meds besides the Suboxone. Wellbutrin once daily and a very low dose of Seroquel for sleep (50 mgs)... really trying to get off the Seroquel. I might try to go without in a week or two after I stabilize on my new dose.

As for 32 vs 16, tell your doctor that you feel fine on 16. I am not really sure what the situation is or why they want you to take more. You can ask a doctor for their reasoning, in fact I would encourage it. There is a great PSA on the radio talking about how people ask question after question all day, but "freeze up" when they get into the doctors office. The PSA urges people to ask questions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:37 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Breezy_Ann wrote:
Hey Bunny! I just wanted to say thanks for understanding what I was saying. I hate correcting things people post because I don't want to come of as a know it all or offend anyone. I am glad you didn't take it that way. I sometimes wonder if some of these sub docs know a thing about sub, opiates or addiction. I am just a housewife and even I know what he said makes no sense and he has a doctorate! I am glad you found a dose that is controlling your pain, I too am on 16 and still have pain but the sub has improved it. I read on another post about your mom and I am so sorry, watching a person you love change so drastically is devastating. You are a wonderful daughter and I hope you get as much quality time with your mom as possible. I went thru this with my grandfather 3 years ago and I cherished the "good" times he would have, for a while he would be back but it never lasted. He had lung cancer that had spread to his brain. I was very close to him. One day he fell asleep and me, my mom, my grandma and his 2 other daughters were around his bed, holding his hand as he took his last breath. It was very sad to know he was gone but he wasn't suffering anymore and he had all of us with him. I was 9 months pregnant with my 2nd son and he was born 6 days later and I named him after my grandpa. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your mom.

Thank you for your support and for sharing your story with me. Life can be so hard, and heartbreaking sometimes. :(