It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:54 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Saw this today:

Amendment to Reclassify Hydrocodone as Schedule II Controlled Substance Passes US Senate
May 30, 2012 01:48 PM

http://www.nabp.net/news/amendment-to-r ... us-senate/

Aimed to help combat prescription drug abuse, an amendment to the FDA Safety and Innovation Act that would reclassify hydrocodone as a Schedule II controlled substance passed in the US senate on May 24, 2012. If adopted as law, “patients would need an original prescription for refills, pills would be stored and transported more securely, and traffickers would be subject to increased fines and penalties,” as explained in a statement by one of the bill’s sponsors, US Senator Joe Manchin (D-WV). The amendment was cosponsored by Senators Mark Kirk (R-IL), Kirsten Gillibrand (D-NY), Chuck Schumer (D-NY), and Jay Rockefeller (D-WV). The FDA Safety and Innovation Act (S 3187) as passed by the US Senate, is now with the US House of Representatives.

Just wanted to pass this on.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:44 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

I think I remember hearing about this quite some time ago. Or maybe it was if they would manufacture hydrocodone by itself without acetaminophen?

I seriously doubt adjusting this to a schedule II would change anything at all. People who develop serious addictions to pain killers usually start with small doses of hydrocodone or oxycodone, but don't typically stick with either of the two when combined with acetaminophen because of how dangerous it is to take large amounts of acetaminophen. I doubt making the penalty more severe would really deter anyone who currently uses or anyone who would use down the road. I know I didn't care when I used whether it was a schedule II or III.

I think all it would do is make it more difficult for the doctors prescribing these drugs to people in need them. Most of the corrupt doctors are prescribing much higher strengths of these opiate pain killers, like Roxy’s or Oxycontin. Glad you shared the info! Maybe we’d be fortunate enough to get a scientist or a pseudo pharmacologist to comment that is much more informed and knowledgeable than us uneducated peasants. :D

Post subject: A REPLY FROM SLIPPER....
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 5:59 am 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

They are a little late...I think this should have been done years ago..schedule 11 drugs have to be written in triplicate.and doctors are more reluctant to give them because of their high classifcation...therefore it will have a bad effect on the Dr. shoppers out there trying to get a little hydro... It would seem to me that a Dr.'s next move would be to replace this with darvocet..but it has been pulled off the market...so they will probably go to ultram and toradol which the addicts out there will not like..

I know some doctors that won't even deal with a class 11 narcotics...but handed out hydros all day long

Slipper