It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:19 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

So Im 4 days in on my SUB and feeling pretty good. I gues its time to start weening off right....lol

But seriously, I am taking 16mgs a day. How long do people stay at that dosage before they start to reduce the amount. Is there a set time, is it up to the doctor, or do you just know. I really do appreciate how much this medication is helping, but truth be told i dont want to have to be taking it for 2 or 3 years. Any Advice?

For those starting out. JUST GO TO THE APPOINTMENT...GET THERE...YOU WONT REGRET IT

Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:12 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

It's really just an individual thing. All the factors you listed could have an affect on when you choose to taper off. It is something that should be your choice but sadly there are Dr.s out there that force their patients off sub. My Dr recommended staying on a maintenance dose for 6 months to a test before I begin to taper. He said it is good to give yourself sometime to get things straight and some distance between me and my doc before tapering off sub. This made sense to me so that is my plan as of now, if the time comes and I feel I am not ready than I would continue on sub. I can say don't rush it, sub is making it a lot easier to stay in recovery. Now staying on sub maintenance for a while doesn't mean you have to stay at 16mg the whole time. If after a while you feel you could get by on a lower dose then you can try it and see how it goes. I guess the best answer I can give is rather than setting a time frame for yourself, set some goals and make sure you are ready before getting off sub. Congrats on your sobriety and to the rest of your life!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:54 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I'm gonna second everything Breezy said and in addition to what Breezy said, I'm gonna suggest this......you will KNOW when it's your time to get off of Suboxone. You will know it in your heart, you'll know it in your soul, you'll know in your socks!!! If you have to question yourself as to your readiness to get off of Suboxone, you're probably not ready, know what I mean?

Our Sponsors
 Post subject: Thanx Guys
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:05 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks guys. It really means alot to have such quick and logical responses. I will continue on until I think it is time. I am feeling so good now it almost like I dont deserve this. I mean, Ive done so much wrong over the last few years to myself, my family, my doctor my little kids, i almost feel like I should have to suffer more. I would like to say that this forum has been great and meeting such nice people and hearing all the stories is so uplifting.

So Ive been on Sub now for about 6 days. I feel pretty good. But man its a pain in the butt having to get up at 7:00am go to the pharmacy, ask for my pills, sit there and wait til they dissolve, then go home, get ready for work Yada Yada. At what time frame did you veterans get to take some pills home or get to have a little freedom

GO SABRES

Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:58 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Ok first I had a typo in my below post, it was supposed to say 6 months to a year but my phone changed year to test.

Are you in Canada? If so I have no idea how long it takes to get take homes, I would assume it depends on the Dr and the patients progress. If you are in the U.S. I have never heard of a Dr requiring you to go to the pharmacy so again I would guess it is the same answer as above. I assume you are in Canada because I know they require sub patients to get their meds daily and in the states we get a script and typically get a month supply at a time. I am sorry you have to go to the pharmacy, that would really suck and not make me feel too good either. I hope you get a take home script soon!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:15 pm 
marktjc wrote:
So Im 4 days in on my SUB and feeling pretty good. I gues its time to start weening off right....lol

But seriously, I am taking 16mgs a day. How long do people stay at that dosage before they start to reduce the amount. Is there a set time, is it up to the doctor, or do you just know. I really do appreciate how much this medication is helping, but truth be told i dont want to have to be taking it for 2 or 3 years. Any Advice?

For those starting out. JUST GO TO THE APPOINTMENT...GET THERE...YOU WONT REGRET IT

Mark

I only took 16 for a day or two. I was at 8 mg after a couple of weeks and 4 mg/day after a couple months.

I have heard it suggested that once you get below 4 mg, your brain slowly begins to down-regulate your opiate receptors (brain healing). Seems logical to me.

I am at 1.25 per day now. I definitely felt better at doses of 4 mg/day and less, once done with the initial detox period.