It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:58 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Hubby was user of H 20 years ago. Recent stress of loosing job and economic issues, he felt weak and started Suboxone about a week ago; Doc gave him 24mg/day. He appeared high (you know, the way he used to look when he used - but not quite diggin' and scratchin'. i complained and doc reduced to 16mg/day. still seems high. my question, why would a doc put him on 24mg/day if he hasn't used in 20 years or so. i believe that he wasn't using when he went to see doc, but may be a slight possibility of some narcs in his system. does 24mg/day seem reasonable assuming he wasn't using prior to starting Soboxone? no sense in him using so much if it isn't needed.

I appreciate any input or experience.

thanks,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:26 pm 
Hi Tampagirl. No offense intended here and I don't want to stir up anything with your marriage because I could be totally off base here. But I feel like something doesn't quite add up. I'm having a hard time understanding why someone clean from heroin for 20 years with no relapse to heroin and no other opiate use going on would jump to Suboxone. Could there be more to this story that your husband hasn't come clean with you about just yet? You mentioned that he may have "some narcs" in his system....is it possible that while he hasn't gone back to heroin that maybe he's picked up an addiction to pain pills (opiates) recently? I wonder if he saw himself heading down that road and decided to get help and get the disease back into remission before it took over his life again. If so....I think that's fine. As far as the dose the doctor has put him on.....well, that's really up to your husband and his doctor. It varies a lot when you first get on Sub. Some people require a higher dose to get stabilized and then are able to get down to 8-16mg/day within a few weeks or so and do well on that dose for the long term.
Anyway, I'm not a doctor or an expert, just thinking maybe there's something you don't quite have all the details on. But I could be totally wrong. Perhaps you could ask your husband if you could accompany him on his next doctor visit to get some of your questions answered.
Best of luck with everything. Please come back and tell us how you're doing and encourage your husband to join us too!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:55 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hi Tampagirl,
I won't add anything to what Setmefree has said, I'm not at all qualified to comment. But at least your husband did the right thing by seeking help when he thought he needed it, rather than letting things get worse. The stress of losing his job must have been a bad blow to him for starters.
I hope all goes well for him, and welcome to the forum!

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:10 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I have to say that when I first saw this post, something didn't quite add up for me either. I would have to agree with you in that from what I have seen, 24 mg is certainly on the high end of doses. I also found it really interesting that a doc would put someone that has been free of opiates for such a long time directly back on Suboxone. I'm not saying there is necessarily anything wrong with that, but it did catch my eye. Then to put someone who is naive of opiates on such a high dose, I really wondered. I am told that even a small dose - say 2 or 4 mg - given to someone who has no tolerance to opiates will strongly affect them. I can only imagine what 24 mg will do to someone who is naive of opiates.

This is such a fine line here. I don't want to say that your husband is not being honest with you. You may just want to delve a bit further here. Either way, the most important thing is that your husband is getting help. Many people seem to do very well on daily doses anywhere from 4 to 16 mg. From what I have read, the "best practice" ceiling dose seems to be 16 mg. All that being said, I would have to agree with you that 24 mg for someone that has not used opiates in many years, seems to be on the high side of things.

Hopefully by talking with your husband and perhaps going along on his next visit as SetMeFree suggests, you'll be able to get first hand knowledge of what is actually going on. Best of luck to you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:45 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Hello. I was wondering how things are working out for you and your husband? The others gave good advice, and I am wondering some of the same things as they were. 24mg or even 16mg does seem to be too high for someone who is presumed to be opiate free. If an opiate naive person consumed 24mg of suboxone, they would most likely be sick from too much opiate effect (I am no doctor or expert....just my personal opinion!!). I am also not trying to start anything between the two of you, but as donh stated even 2mg or 4mg would probably induce a strong opiate effect onto a opiate naive individual. I don't know for sure, because I am just a recovering addict as well and am going by what I have read and heard personally.

I just wanted to know how things are going and if everything is ok.... Thanks and take care...

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." ---Salvador Dali

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:04 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Don't ha just hate it when we all take the time to try to help someone with some pretty darn good advice, yet you never hear back from them? I guess it's just the nature of the Internet but... Maybe we should institute a five-post minimum or something to "qualify" the poster - or start a feedback rating system like eBay. Obliviously I'm just kidding, but it does seem to happen often enough that a first time poster never makes it to becoming a second time poster - even if a whole bunch of people take the time to try to help them.

If you ever do return TampaGirl it would be nice to hear an update.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:31 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

She may very well have ready everything you all wrote and took off asking questions, learned the answers, and left him. I can tell you that I was only off the sub for 3 months and clean when I went back on yesterday and 4mg made me so damn ill. Everything you are saying is correct in my opinion. I cannot see any doctor starting anyone at 24mg if they were clean or on "a few" pain pills. Uh uh! Granted she said he seemed high, but I will tell you if I took 24mg today I would be puking. I wouldn't have made it there. I couldn't even get past 4mg today after taking 4mg last night. I never did H either, but I wasn't off of it for 20 years. Only 3 months. Just sayin'.....something isn't right.

Cherie