It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:48 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Hello there, I am wondering if 12 to 16hrs is long enough to start my subs... I was injecting 5 to 10 bags of dope a day for a month. I do feel like shit 12 hrs after my last use. can anyone help me out with there experences thanks so much u remember how scared u were before u started please remember that when dealing w me im scared

Post subject: how long vs how far
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:13 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Hi Mat, what I keep hearing on this site is that it's really not a matter of how long since you last used opiates before you should take sub but how far into withdrawal you are, except with methadone or Fentynal that doesn't apply--you have to wait longer and make sure you're on a low enough dose if you're on either of those before switching to subs. I didn't know anything about sub when I first started it--my doctor just told me it would block the effects of opiates and didn't tell me about precipitated withdrawal or even ask me when the last time I used was. Luckily I didn't have any problem with precipitated withdrawal though. So.. you didnt' say if you're being inducted at your doctor's office ( I wasn't) or what but the point is that when you first take your sub you should have waited long enough since you last used so that you are definitely in withdrawal and the amount of time that takes varies between individuals. Doctors use the COWS scale to determine if a patient is far enough in WD. I think you can look up COWS online to get more info. I'm sorry I can't give you a more exact answer but I hope you have a good doctor working with you and I hope you'll be fine, most people are, I haven't heard too many stories of people getting precipitated WD, though I hear that when it does happen it can be really bad, so you do want to make sure you are definitely in withdrawal when you start on sub. Best of luck to you, let us know how it goes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:29 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Mat - check your PM, I just answered you.

-Jack Kornfield

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:12 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Mat and welcome to the forum. I agree with auto that it's not a matter of how many hours but rather what the state of your withdrawals are. You can Google COWS scale or COWS withdrawals and you'll find the scale. As long as you're "solidly" in mild to moderate withdrawals you should be fine to start suboxone without risk of precipitated withdrawals. If you're having your induction in a doctor's office they should be able to judge it for you. That's what they're there for. I know it's scary. You're starting a life without everything that comes with active addiction and that's a big change. I think everyone is nervous or scared when they start sub. This should be a good thing for you - keep that in mind.

Again welcome and please let us know how you're induction goes.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.