It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 199 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 3:01 pm 
Hey there, lets talk about HOW we take our Suboxone. For example, if you're on 8mg, do you break it up into 4 pieces before putting it under your tongue? Break it in half? Just toss it in??

I'm currently on 18mg. I break up 14mg into 2mg pieces and take that first thing in the morning. I take the remaining 4mg with me, and do it later in the day.

Does everyone else have a hard time NOT swallowing while its disolving???

Just curious.

Patrick

Post subject: dosing
PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 9:34 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

hey...

for the first 9 months i did it "the normal way"..... under the tongue in one big chunk... stays there for a half hour and real annoying...

then i read the article the doc wrote about maximizing the absorption.... swallowing hard a few times to get rid of excess mouth juice... chewing it up with my two front teeth (you know.. the ones i got for christmas), and rubbing it all over my mouth with my tongue.
it takes a little practice but it seems to work. i just keep it all in there for about 10 minutes, trying to keep the volume down and get it to go in every little corner... then i swallow it, and dont drink or eat for another 15 minutes.
but with the 4 mg and less... i do the under the tongue thing cause it doesnt take so long to dissolve and i feel like i'm losing it (old addict behaviors) and not getting every last crumb.

also... i take the entire daily dose in the morning. was certain at first that i needed more later in the day (and sometimes did take more... which resulted in running out before my next refill... not cool) but learned to ignore it, and trust the truth, and am now glad i broke that pattern.

what i'd like to know is:

if said method is the best way to optimize the absorption of the drug into your system, then why does the company tell you to put it under your tongue?
i've also heard of spitting the pink spit out once the pill dissolves?

i dunno, i trust the doc so i took his advice.

be well
jp

Post subject: my dosing
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:52 am 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Hello All
I am on 16mgs. / day. ( 2 x 8mgs. ) I used to take them whole one right after another and it would take
up to an hour to disolve.... So now I break the 8's in half put both pieces in and let them disolve then repete. The whole process now only takes about a half hour +/-..... I take the whole dose in the am on my drive to work and I am all set for the day!!!
Best of luck to all in recovery.......
Take it one day at a time!!
Take care...
TW

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:57 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I'm down to a low dose in my taper (about half a mg) and I've started dissolving my sub in water so I can measure out smaller doses more accurately.

I have a thread about it in stopping suboxone if anyone's interested in the method.

The sub hits really fast when it's already dissolved in water. I just hold it in my mouth for five minutes, swallow and then don't eat or drink for 20 minutes or so. It works much better than trying to put an teeny crumb of sub under my tongue.

-Jack Kornfield

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:54 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Using the method suggested by Dr. Junig makes dosing in the morning alot easier and less time consuming when you've slept in too late and are running behind...which has happened a few times as I really enjoy sleep 8) Anywho I spit out what's left, naloxone ick!!! what an unholy substance (well unless you've O.D.ed I suppose) 20 minutes a day though is such a small price to pay for not using anymore.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:28 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I sometimes don't have time to dissolve pill, wait 15 min, then put nothing in my mouth for 15 min. So what I started doing (mostly for my 2nd dose in the p.m.) is break the pill in half, then stick both pieces in my lip, like chewing tobacco, and let it SLOWLY dissolve. It takes forever ( almost an hour ) but i've found that you can talk while your doing it and you can also swallow as needed, and the dose is still effective.

-JayJay

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:41 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I've tried that too jsp4th - sometimes the pill wouldn't dissolve though, which was annoying. But I've used that method when I had to take a dose while I was at work or something and I needed to be able to talk.

-Jack Kornfield

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:44 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I have heard of spitting out the liquid after its dissolved, as well as things like chewing it and swishing it around in the mouth. What is the deal? I have been taking mine under the tounge and just swallowing the juices, but if there is a better way then i would really love to know. It is a very expensive med. as well as other down sides(not complaining), would just like to know the best way for best absorbtion

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:15 pm 
peace wrote:
I have heard of spitting out the liquid after its dissolved, as well as things like chewing it and swishing it around in the mouth. What is the deal? I have been taking mine under the tounge and just swallowing the juices, but if there is a better way then i would really love to know. It is a very expensive med. as well as other down sides(not complaining), would just like to know the best way for best absorbtion

Welcome to the forum! How much Suboxone are you taking? You definitely don't want to swallow. Not right as its dissolving anyway. You don't want to start with a mouth that is too wet. The Subs will dissolve too quickly and you'll be forced to swallow . I usually rinse my mouth out, suck down any excess saliva, then place the Suboxone under my tongue. Let it dissolve slowly while not swallowing. When the chunks have dissolved down to just some gritty powder (which could take 30 to 45 minutes) use your tongue to spread that last little bit around your mouth. Just really concentrate on NOT swallowing the juice. I take 12mgs a day, and break them into 2mg pieces before putting it in my mouth, it helps them to dissolve a little easier. Also, after everything is dissolved, DON"T drink anything for 10-15 minutes.

Hope that helps. There's a few different ways to do it. This is just my way. Basically, just dissolve it slowly, don't swallow, and dont drink anything.

Patrick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:24 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I'm down to small doses of Suboxone, but I've always had the urge to swallow while the dose is dissolving... and I do.

I could be wrong, but I've always thought that even if one swallows, absorption still occurs via the esophageal lining. So, in keeping with my idea on this, I'm always careful not to drink anything until at least 20 minutes after dosing.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:46 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Hi guys, my name is Jen, I'm so glad that I found this board. I was so surprised when I saw a whole topic discussing the way to take suboxone. I am on 16mg and have just been break them in half or quarters, putting them under my tongue, swallowing whenever I felt the need, drinking at the same time. Now I am finding out that I might not be getting my full dose because I have been doing it this way? Is that really true that you shouldn't drink anything or even swallow while the pills are dissolving?

Post subject: how you take sub
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:51 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

After reading all the posts on this subject I m asking myself if I'm getting all the dose I should be! Ever since I started taking it(17 months ago!) I have always put it right on TOP of mr tongue and rub it across the top of my mouth until gone and drink some Pepsi or whatever to get the taste out of my mouth. Nobody has ever told me all these things about taking it and not swallowing or drinking afterwards. I knew you were to put it under your tongue, but I couldn't stand the way it felt and I didn't know its supposed to take that long to dissolve. I also don't take the whole amount at the same time. For example, I'm on 8mg/day right now and I break the pill in fours and take a quarter of it when I wake up then thruout the day take a quarter of it. So basically I'm taking 2mg four times a day. So can somebody please let me know the best and correct way to take it and all the do's and dont's. I mean , I feel like it works the way I'm doing it, but if there is another way to do it to get the most effectiveness out of it I would really appreciate it! Thanks family.

Post subject: Re: how you take sub
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:40 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

drg74 wrote:
After reading all the posts on this subject I m asking myself if I'm getting all the dose I should be! Ever since I started taking it(17 months ago!) I have always put it right on TOP of mr tongue and rub it across the top of my mouth until gone and drink some Pepsi or whatever to get the taste out of my mouth. Nobody has ever told me all these things about taking it and not swallowing or drinking afterwards. I knew you were to put it under your tongue, but I couldn't stand the way it felt and I didn't know its supposed to take that long to dissolve. I also don't take the whole amount at the same time. For example, I'm on 8mg/day right now and I break the pill in fours and take a quarter of it when I wake up then thruout the day take a quarter of it. So basically I'm taking 2mg four times a day. So can somebody please let me know the best and correct way to take it and all the do's and dont's. I mean , I feel like it works the way I'm doing it, but if there is another way to do it to get the most effectiveness out of it I would really appreciate it! Thanks family.

Well, what works for you generally IS the correct way, but here's what I would suggest:

First of all, try and take the whole dose at a time (in your case 8mg in the morning). Start by taking 4mg in the morning and 4 in the evening, so you get used to taking the sub less frequently. Then, when you feel you are ready, start taking the whole 8mg when you wake up. Due to buprenorphine's long half-life, the effects of suboxone will be there throughout your day, even if you take a single dose in the morning. You should not feel any withdrawals in the evening at all. If you do the first few times you take a single dose, in all probability that's just your mind playing tricks on you since you are used to taking it more frequently. What many suggest is to ignore such withdrawal-like symptoms for a few minutes and they should be gone.

Secondly, I would suggest keeping the pill under your tounge and let it dissolve by itself. I've tried the rubbing across the mouth technique, but I didn't like it much. What I do is just put the pill under my tongue and be careful not to move my tongue (since the less saliva is generated, the better) and not swallow. Also, don't drink anything for some 20 minutes. Suboxone tastes just fine in my opinion.

As regards to the time to keep it there, many suggest you keep it for some 30 minutes. Try to go by how long the pill takes to dissolve rather than by watching the clock. When you feel that the pill has dissolved completely, it is safe to swallow. This generally takes me around 20 to 25 min. In the past I used to keep the pill in my mouth for the bare minimum because I really couldn't stand keeping my mouth shut and full of spit. I swallowed after exactly 10 minutes. This amount of time used to work just fine for me, so if you feel that 10 to 15 min is enough for you, I see no reason to change that.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:44 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

capecodmom wrote:
Hi guys, my name is Jen, I'm so glad that I found this board. I was so surprised when I saw a whole topic discussing the way to take suboxone. I am on 16mg and have just been break them in half or quarters, putting them under my tongue, swallowing whenever I felt the need, drinking at the same time. Now I am finding out that I might not be getting my full dose because I have been doing it this way? Is that really true that you shouldn't drink anything or even swallow while the pills are dissolving?

Seriously? Did no one ever tell you that? That's the first thing they tell you during your first induction - keep the pill under your tongue, don't swallow. Do you really think that drinking while something is dissolving under your tongue will in some way help absorption? Can't you just wait 10 bloody minutes to take a drink?

Post subject: why only 10 min under
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:21 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Again im new to the suboxone,doc has me on 20 mg aday to start ,under my tonge is fine but its gone in 8 to 10 min ,i never drink or eat anything for 20 min but i do smoke a cig is that okay also can i have some drinks after work,what about trees does anyone smoke out there still?

Post subject: why cant u eat/drink
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:11 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks to all who posted their reccomendations on how to take sub, I learned a thing or two! But I do still have one question about it. A lot of you had mentioned not to eat or drink anything for like 20 minutes was it ? Well, what I was wondering is why can't you? Neither of the 2 docs I've been to had never told me that. I was just wondering what the reason for that is. Thanks. Oh,P.S. just to clear up some confusion I got from a response, I am a female! Also, I was talking to my boyfriend about this site, since I was so excited about it!, and he noticed my username, which are my initials of my name, he said it looked like it stood for "drug 74"! Not that it makes any differance as I am a recovering "drg" addict! LOL. Have a good one! :P

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:06 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

major wrote:
Again im new to the suboxone,doc has me on 20 mg aday to start ,under my tonge is fine but its gone in 8 to 10 min ,i never drink or eat anything for 20 min but i do smoke a cig is that okay also can i have some drinks after work,what about trees does anyone smoke out there still?

I think smoking should be more or less fine, since you're not washing down the residual suboxone in your mouth with liquids or food. Sure thing bout the drinks. That's the wonderful thing about suboxone.... you can enjoy living normally as if you were never addicted to opiates. As for the trees, never much liked them. Always make me jittery and a paranoid mess. Not for me.

Post subject: Re: why cant u eat/drink
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:11 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

drg74 wrote:
Thanks to all who posted their reccomendations on how to take sub, I learned a thing or two! But I do still have one question about it. A lot of you had mentioned not to eat or drink anything for like 20 minutes was it ? Well, what I was wondering is why can't you? Neither of the 2 docs I've been to had never told me that. I was just wondering what the reason for that is. Thanks. Oh,P.S. just to clear up some confusion I got from a response, I am a female! Also, I was talking to my boyfriend about this site, since I was so excited about it!, and he noticed my username, which are my initials of my name, he said it looked like it stood for "drug 74"! Not that it makes any differance as I am a recovering "drg" addict! LOL. Have a good one! :P

I thought it meant drug 74 too. My username stands for the name of a shirt I've got. It was standing next to me when I registered, and I'm really not creative enough to come up with usernames.

The reason for not eating or drinking for 20 min is so that any residual suboxone which you will have in your mouth will not get washed down by liquids or food. After your pill has dissolved, your mouth/tongue may still contain unabsorbed bupe, so you don't eat for a couple of minutes to ensure that you get all your bupe. It isn't a rule per se, it's just a suggestion to ensure you get maximal absorption of your dose.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:40 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I smoke after everything is said and done with in the a.m. and also quit for about a month or so and didn't smoke after and I didn't notice any difference at all. and if by trees you mean M.J. , that's the only thing my doc said was "acceptable" to be used here and there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:18 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

glad i found this forum.

i'm new to recovery. just coming to terms with my addiction and that i need help to learn to control it. so i thank everyone in advance for their help and support.

i have a couple of questions:

i'm prescribed 8mg/day, but don't need nearly that much.

i do the following:

i take half of a 8mg tablet, and break a tiny piece off of it for later, take the remaining chunk and put it in my mouth. i usually watch an episode of scrubs or lost as it dissolves. i do not swallow. i will swish my saliva around a bit as the chunk disolves, but for the most part keep the tablet and all the saliva under my tongue.

i basically keep it in there for 30-60min, and then spit it all out. i generally wait 10 or 15min to eat or drink anything.

ill often start feeling achy and nervous, etc later in the day and will take the small piece and do the same as above.

i spit it out because i was told that swallowing it can make one nauseous and/or induce terrible headaches. and early in my use i took too much in the course of a day, and ended up getting extremely nauseous and got a SPLITTING headache.

is spitting it out ok? am i spitting out medicine that will still be dissolved if i swallow?

i ask because i've read other places that you shouldn't get headaches.

i also read that very little if any bupe will be dissolved after swallowing due to the nature of the chemical.

so there it is. again, thanks so much for any advice and support.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 199 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next