It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 199 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: deal with the taste
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:47 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

wats up kid ,do not spit your meds out,no food or drink for 20 min after deal wth the taste ,youre only wasting it its expensive get off it as soon as u can,,,,

Post subject: Re: dosing
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:07 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

johnpal716 wrote:
then i read the article the doc wrote about maximizing the absorption.... swallowing hard a few times to get rid of excess mouth juice... chewing it up with my two front teeth (you know.. the ones i got for christmas), and rubbing it all over my mouth with my tongue.
it takes a little practice but it seems to work. i just keep it all in there for about 10 minutes, trying to keep the volume down and get it to go in every little corner... then i swallow it, and dont drink or eat for another 15 minutes.
but with the 4 mg and less... i do the under the tongue thing cause it doesnt take so long to dissolve and i feel like i'm losing it (old addict behaviors) and not getting every last crumb.

also... i take the entire daily dose in the morning. was certain at first that i needed more later in the day (and sometimes did take more... which resulted in running out before my next refill... not cool) but learned to ignore it, and trust the truth, and am now glad i broke that pattern.

what i'd like to know is:

if said method is the best way to optimize the absorption of the drug into your system, then why does the company tell you to put it under your tongue?

It is likely too much of a process for them to hope everyone can do it correctly. If you put it under your tongue, you are at least assured to get most of it, and that is what the company wants. Easy, with a low chance of the patient losing their dose.

As for how I take it, I just break it up and put it under my tongue, but here are some things I am always sure to avoid that may help others:

1. I never take my dose when I am hungry. When you are hungry, even mentioning food will make your mouth water, thus causing you to swallow good medicine.

2. I never drink soda within 20 minutes to taking my dose. Soda increases saliva production. The bitter taste of the meds contrasted against the sweet of the soda can also make your mouth react and produce more saliva (you have likely felt this before. It feels like sensation is hitting the back of your throat and you start creating saliva).

3. I always take my dose 20 or more minutes after I eat. Even after eating, your mouth continues to produce saliva to get all your food down.

4. I never take my dose if my mouth is extremely dry and I am thirsty. Again, the bitterness of the meds can make your mouth react and create tons of saliva. It also makes absorbing the medicine take forever.

5. I limit talking to an absolute minimum, and don't talk at all if I can. That means letting my cell phone go to voice mail, and sitting alone in a room for a bit. Talking moves your tongue around and breaks up the pill, causing some of it to be lost in your spit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:57 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Wow some of these stories are crazy..30 minutes?? I wake up, brush my teeth, gargle good with water, and put it under my tongue...look and see what time it is and around 10 minutes I will rub the underside of my tongue where I placed the pill and make sure there is no grit left, then I swish around whatever is left and swallow it. 15 minutes at the most.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:09 pm 
four_twenny wrote:
Wow some of these stories are crazy..30 minutes?? I wake up, brush my teeth, gargle good with water, and put it under my tongue...look and see what time it is and around 10 minutes I will rub the underside of my tongue where I placed the pill and make sure there is no grit left, then I swish around whatever is left and swallow it. 15 minutes at the most.

Hi 420 - Welcome to the forum!

I don't know about that swishing around. It seems like you would be swallowing some medicine that could have been absorbed if left alone for another 10-15 minutes. As soon as I don't feel any grit or taste any suboxone, I still wait 15 minutes or so before drinking anything. It's usually 45 minutes from beginning to end.

That's just me. Hey, whatever method keeps you from being in withdrawal, is all that really matters!!

I would do anything to keep from withdrawaling. If they told me I had to stick it up my...

Anyway - HAVE A GOOD DAY!

patrick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:12 pm 
420 - I just realized you've been a member for a little while - my bad!

Welcome anyway!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:41 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hey all,
New here, but not new to suboxone.....I dose like the instuctions said "Dissolve under tounge"......but ever since I've heard of this "maxiumum absorbtion" method, I feel like the more I try to keep the saliva to a minumum, the more saliva I produce.....I'm still working on it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:46 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

1 mgs [insufflated]

Peace,
Seedless

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:47 am 
Do you mind if I chime in….Just a suggestion. Not sure if it’s true or not. In the early days I read a report about not smoking or drinking caffeine 30 mins prior or after your dose.

Now, if you think about it it does make sense because caffeine and nicotine constrict your blood vessels/capillaries/veins. In turn, that Suboxone you’re trying to absorb isn’t getting in there too good. You want them wide open to absorb the medication and let it flow. Look under your tongue. You have two veins that go down each side; those are the two that are absorbing your Suboxone. Anything you swallow will be broken down by your stomach acid and not absorbed (that’s a fact), so if you prefer to spit, then spit.

My doctor always told me to spit everything out after 10 mins, even any leftover pill. I just looked at him like, are you crazy? I’m taking every little bit, I always swallowed but didn't mind the taste. I don’t know where that comes from? Why they say “10 mins”??? I’m sure there’s probably a good reason, like maybe maximum Buprenorphine absorption takes place within 10 mins and the rest (what your left with) is the Naloxone and binders. I don’t really know??? Just a theory.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:03 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

so I have been on suboxone for 32 days now! no booze or mary jane either!! wohoo!!

being a newbie, i would love some advice from anyone who is willing to help me out!

so I am on 16 mg's a day and i take one pill when i wake up and another 12 hours later.

i break my pill in half and put it under my tongue and it takes forever to dissolve. If i dont get a decent amount of saliva going, i feel like the pill would NEVER dissolve. Sometimes, i run out of time before work and move my tongue over and across the pill to try to speed up the process but then i feel it go out from under my tongue and between my teeth, crunching away...if that makes sense.

i have "geographic tongue", so i wasnt sure if that had something to do with how long it takes for my pills to dissolve. I asked me doctor and he said he has never heard of it taking someone 60 minutes for their pill to dissolve, but he said he would look into it for me. some of my friends who take suboxone tell me it takes them 10 minutes for the pill to dissolve, give or take...i get veryyy jealous!

it drives me crazy that i have to set aside ATLEAST 2 hours a day in order to get these suckers to dissolve. i mean, i am totally down to do it because i havent felt this good in over 4 years.

any advice would be greatly appreciated, hope everyone had a great holiday!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:21 am 
Hi Wolfman and welcome! I'm one of those "quick dissolvers"! I worried for weeks that I was not getting proper absorption of my Sub because I have too much saliva and felt my meds dissoved into spit too fast! But my medications seems to be working fine so I try not to worry about it any more. I've read about others taking forever to get their Sub to dissolve so I guarantee you're not the only one.
Dr. Junig suggested a method to maximize absorption that goes something like this: pop the tablet in your mouth, chew it between your two front teeth sort of grinding it down to a powder. Then 'spread' the orange goo all over the surfaces of the inside of your mouth. Not just under the tongue, but inside the cheeks, around the gums, the roof of the mouth, etc. This should allow the med to absorb faster and be kind of more out of your way while it's dissolving. If you accumulate some saliva you can swish it around a bit before spitting it out or swallowing it (whichever your prefer - I'm a spitter myself)
See if this helps cut down on your time at all. Please let us know.
Despite what one of the posters above listed as method of taking Suboxone - Snorting your Sub is NOT recommended and it is DRUG ABUSE which is what most of us here are trying to get away from! (in my not-so-humble opinion)
Wolfman - I'm also of the opinion that if you're on Suboxone and seriously trying to improve your life - that means ridding your life of any substance you have abused in the past (such as alcohol) and ridding your life of anything illegal (pot). I am really iimpressed that you are trying to go all the way with your recovery and congratulations on your 32 days!!

Post subject: How Long??
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:15 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Hi Wolfman,
Glad you are here and like others have said... Welcome!! You will find all kinds of info on this Forum..
I happen to be on the same dose as you are currently.(16mgs/day) How I take it is all at once in the AM. I also struggle with the amount of time needed to disolve! it can take up to 45 minutes for me as well! But I have been on Subox for 10mos. so I can even drink my tea while the medication is disolving in my mouth. I think the longer you are on the meds the easier it will be to take them. I for one think they are a God Send!!! :D
Hope this helps...
I wish you luck on your continued Sobriety! Embrace it like you never want to lose it!!!
Keep us posted on your RECOVERY!

God Bless
TW

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:38 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

thanks everyone, today is day 41 of no drugs and alcohol!! i feel even better than day 32!!

i appreciate the help, this site is awesome! i just applied for a job at bestbuy and got some help with whether or not i would pass a drug test...and i guess itll only show up if they test for suboxone itself!

im in the clear! wohooo

wolfman

aooooooow

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:15 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

wolfman....great job! keep up the good work!!!

The post above wolfman...

How can you drink tea while the suboxone dissolves??? Just curious! Thanks

TWNPLY wrote:
so I can even drink my tea while the medication is disolving in my mouth.

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." ---Salvador Dali

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:21 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

hey guys another quick question...

i have been building up a little extra saliva before i put in the sub, and i end up with a lot. is it a bad thing if i end up with a lot of saliva? when i say a lot, i mean a mouth full...will that affect how the pill is absorbed?

thanks a lot guys, looking forward to your response

aooooow

wolfman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:32 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Hey wolfman -

setmefree and I had a conversation about this exact thing! I know both of us have exactly the same issue. We came to the conclusion that it must be OK for absorption as it's works for both of us. Pretty scientific eh? Still, we both do our best to keep the saliva in our mouths for around 15 minutes (once dissolved) - and them spit out the rest. It solved my headaches when I started that.

Hope it helps.

Post subject: Great Job!!!
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:46 am 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Hi WolfMan,
Congrats on your continued success. Keep up the good work. It's not an easy road but, you are heading in the right direction!

Hi BigRed- I can just sip my tea while the Suboxone is disolveing under my tounge. It dosn't seam to be a problem for me! It takes up to 30 min. +/- for the 8mg. pill to disolve completely for me. So the Tea helps offset the taste of the Subox a little bit... I wouldn't suggest it for everyone... It just dosn't happen to bother me? - Best of luck to you....

I wish everyone out here in RECOVERY a happy & Sober New Year!!!

God Bless
TW

Post subject: not fully dissolving?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:01 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

hello again everyone!!

welp its been 52 days and im going strong!

didnt know if anyone could help me with this...sometimes i spit the saliva out when the pill is done dissolving and i notice that there are "pieces" left floating around, its almost like they are mucusy or small soft pieces...i had the pill in for 90 minutes!! its pretty ridiculous how long it takes my pills to dissolve sometimes but its totally worth it.

are these pieces normal?? my doctor wasnt sure what i meant so i figured i would ask fellow suboxone takers.

Thanks for you help.

aoooow

wolfman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:53 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I just switched form suboxone (8months) to subutex. The subutex takes about 7minutes or less to dissolve...Is there any experience out there that tells me if this is normal or does someone else do it differently...not trying to change the thread..I almost feel like a blacksheep now that I am on subutex......but it works just as good and I feel great....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:48 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

If suboxone is crushed will it give you a buzz? My husband claims it doesn't, but he can't stand the taste and waiting a half hour. I just need to know the honest truth. Also, does anyone know when the suboxone strips are coming out?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:31 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Crushing will give no more of a "Buz" than other methods of absorption. I have never seen anything that stated the tabs should or could not be crushed. In fact, I have seen all sorts of suggestions, especially when getting into the lower doses, to dissolve the pills in a small amount of water to aid in measuring and absorption. On top of all of this, it is rare that patients even report getting a "buz" from Suboxone in the first place. The medicine just simply does not do that - except perhaps to the opiate naive patient or the first couple of doses to an addict.

Oxycontin is somewhat famous for crushing the pills to get a "buz". This is where you may have gotten this information. It does not apply to Suboxone.

As for strips, I have not heard anything at all about them. Have not read anything either. Perhaps you can enlighten us about this topic.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 199 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next