It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 199 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:59 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Your doctor probably told you to take your 10 mg all at once because it should easily last at least 24 hours without any withdrawals. Plus it really is best to take it once a day, then you can forget about it. It helps us to extinguish the behavior of popping a pill when we feel we "need" something. I would guess that the relief you were getting from taking that small dose in the evening was mostly psychological. Suboxone's mean (average) half life is 37 hours, so once daily dosing should be sufficient.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:11 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Why is it bad to swallow my saliva? I have been doing it the same way (under the tongue) for over a year now and everything seems to be fine, so if it is indeed bad, why? Maybe I'm reading things wrong and the only reason to not swallow is possible waste? :?: :?: :?: :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:25 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey chicogirl,

From my understanding, the reason people don't like to swallow their saliva when sub is in their mouths is because of the Naloxone. Naloxone doesn't absorb readily through mucus membranes, but once in the stomach it can make it into your bloodstream much easier. Some people have a negative reaction to the Naloxone so they spit out their saliva.

If you've been taking your sub for over a year now with no problems, then you have nothing to worry about. :D

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:49 am 
New Poster
New Poster

[font=Arial] [/font]
Hello, I have been taking Suboxone for about a year now. I have always hated the taste. I get nauseated every time I take my dose. I was very excited when they came out with the strips, but then frustrated when I found out that my insurance company wouldn't pay for them. I have heard that there may be other ways to ingest the pills. I would even consider anal if it would work. I am sick of being sick every morning. If you know of any way to deal with this problem, please let me know (and please include the source of your information if possible). Thank you very much. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:56 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi ltc2011 and welcome to the forum. I don't have sources for these, but I've heard of people doing a couple of things to combat the taste for people that simply cannot tolerate it. One is to put a mint in your mouth at the same time. My understanding is that it doesn't interfere with sub's absorption. Another way is rinsing your mouth out with mouthwash first. That actually might help with the taste as well as help it dissolve quicker.

Maybe others will come along with some better ideas - these are the best I've got.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:38 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I take it RECTALLY!! 8mg anal.

I'm just kidding. I thought that'd be funny. I take 2mg morning, 2mg noon or 1pm, and 2mg at 5 or 6pm. It works great. No withdrawals and i sleep fine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:01 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I was on suboxone for 5 years and I started to feel awful after the first year and didn't know why. I realized it was the nal in there causing a lot of side effects and I learned how to minimize the amount by spitting excess saliva out and drying my mouth before taking the sub and really concentrating on letting it absorb subligually and not swallowing the suboxone spit. I finally got my doc to switch me to subutex about 6 months ago and at first I went through a month of what seemed like mild wd's ... Like I was addicted to the nal in the suboxone. It was really odd and for those people who would say that the nal doesn't get into ur system YOUR WRONG. After that I felt a lot better and not sick and depressed all the time. I just feel more normal and not as dopey as on suboxone. Also the name brand subutex is better quality and I preferred over the generics. Alas my insurance decided they wouldn't cover the name brand after the 2nd month on it! Jerks!!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:25 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I take my 2 mg. in the a.m. once a day.I just realized,though how I take it is really my old drug behavior.I put the 2mg. on my night table and as soon as my eyes open,my mouth is dry-so I try to stimulate some saliva and I put it under my tongue and just kinda slowly wake up and get out of bed.Then its dissolved and I have my coffee right away.This is exactly what I used to do when I was "using" except I would have water on the nightstand. A lil off subject-sorry..but I think I should change this routine and think about my higher power 1st thing..pray and then get ready for the sub

Post subject: Ethanol Solution
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:19 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I've been having problems with my insurance covering my Suboxone recently. Sometimes I go and my script is covered in full two weeks later I go and not one penny of my script is covered. Needless to say, I don't always have the money to buy out my script so I've been looking at ways to to get the most out of my medicine while taking the least. If you take your medication the prescribed route (Sublingual) then you're looking at a bio-availability of anywhere from 13 to 51.4%. The Suboxone film however has absorption rates a lot more stable than the tablets. Sometimes, I have to cut back and only take 8MG or 12MG versus my normal 16MG, which sometimes can make someone a little unconformable without properly weening down before hand. So, I finally tried the ethanol solution method which has a bio-availability of 50-70% that has been around online for a few years now. There is a lot of variation to it. Usually, it reads that you break up whatever your dose is, and let it soak in a small amount (Usually around 1ML) of ethanol alcohol (non flavored vodka, everclear) in a bottle cap or spoon, you then pour the solution under your tongue and let it sit there or place cotton balls in the solution to absorb the liquid then put them under your tongue. The problem with this however is that for someone like me who used heroin, "mixing" a solution could be described as addict behavior. So, I 86ed the mixing part and just put one 8MG strip under my tongue, then poured a small amount of vodka into a bottle cap then poured the vodka under my tongue with the strip and let it dissolve. Afterwards, I swished around the vodka solution for 5-10 minutes then swallowed it, You can also spit out the vodka as well.

After doing this, I felt no discomfort like I usually do when I suddenly cut my dose in half. I "felt" like I took my whole 16MG dose and was very pleased with the results. This is not something I do everyday, just something I do when my insurance isn't covering my medication and I can't afford to purchase a whole script. Now, I'm sure some of you may view this behavior as a slippery slope which is understandable, I just think it's something worth exploring for people who have to cut back on their prescribed amount of medication due to financial restraints. Like I said, I'm not posting this and encouraging people to try and get high off of their medication, I'm just sharing a way to maxamize the effectiveness of your Suboxone. I've talked to many people on here and I know I'm not the only person who has a hard time coming up with enough money to pay for my script every month. I'm aware this has been posted a few times before on this site, I just thought I'd share it on this thread which like herpes just keeps on coming back.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:09 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I'm so glad to hear that worked for you! I've heard about using alcohol before. I also heard, though, that one can get the same results - or maybe just similar - by using mouthwash before dosing. Has anyone tried both methods? Does the mouthwash method come close to using straight alcohol? I ask this because some people can't drink so they need other options.

Regardless, again, I'm happy that it helped you. What I'm not understanding is why you aren't getting consistent medication/insurance benefits on your sub though. Have you called your insurance company/medication rider and asked them about it? That's the first thing I would do. If they made a mistake, you might be able to submit the payments you made yourself for reimbursement. Let us know if you find out what is happening.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:06 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

First I wasn't getting full benefits because I hadn't reached my premium, which has now been met but all of a sudden they are doing a verification process on me since I'm new to insurance, just checking if I'm not trying to do medical fraud or something, regardless it's becoming a huge pain in the ass.

Also, you can use mouthwash but it has a much lower alcohol percentage than that of Vodka or Everclear. Basically, by doing mouthwash before hand you're ensuring that everything is clear of bacteria and food particles, and other gunk to ensure a clean delivery of the meds. I'm sure the left over remnants of the alcohol in the mouthwash stays behind which will likely increase the BA of your Suboxone. I would stress danger in putting Suboxone under your tongue, then mouthwash with it since Mouthwash contains a whole mess of stuff you do not want to ingest, even in small amounts it can make you very sick. Mouthwash is around 21% alcohol with much more water in it, where as Vodka is double that with 40% alcohol and much less water particles in it with a higher proof. I'm sure the higher the alcohol percentage, the more desired results. I just chose vodka because it's flavorless and doesn't sting at all where as I assume even a few drops of Everclear under your tongue would feel like fire. Also, I wouldn't call it drinking alcohol since this is my third day using it and I don't even think I've consumed a whole bottle cap worth's of alcohol yet. I understand that drinking for some people just isn't an option so if they wanted to try the mouthwash route they can but they should use as little mouthwash as possible, swish around the solution for as long as possible then spit it out.

If you don't want to try the alcohol method then you could try some other methods of Suboxone potentiation like taking 600MG of St John's Wort 25-30 minutes after taking your Suboxone. SJW turns Buprenorphine into norBuprenorphine which is like the stronger cousin of Bupe. Taking Suboxone with Benadryl can also increase Suboxone's effects. I used to take them all the time when on Opiates and it worked so no doubt it should at least partially work with a semi-synthetic opoid like Buprenorphine. A lot of people claim Grapefruit juice works as well it will slow down the metabolism of the drug, thus making it last longer. You can find a much more detailed analysis of these claims online.

*********I am only sharing this information as a way for people to maximize the effects of their medication, I am not sharing it as a way to get more "high" off of your medication. Which, lets be honest if you're on daily maintenance of Suboxone even combining all of these methods will not be enough to make you high off of Bupe again.**************

I hope to get the whole insurance thing under wraps soon. The best option could be getting my meds by mail, since it makes it super cheap but the problem is my doctor would have to write out like a three months prescription versus one month and somehow I don't think he will like doing that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:34 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Have 8 milligrams, cut off 2 mgs worth, stick the 6 mgs underneath my tongue in the morning. Used to dose half in the morn and half in the afternoon, but I found its best to do it all at once because I would often forget to take the second dose. My doctor did say that forgetting the second dose is a good sign and shows that my receptors have recovered.

Post subject: How I Take My Suboxone
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:08 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

[font=Verdana] After about 2 weeks of going through withdrawal from 4 mg. daily
of Suboxone (prescribed), I went back to my doctor, and went on 2 mg. daily of
it. Anyway, to answer the original question, I divide my 2 mg. dose into two 1mg.
dosages by breaking it into two halves, taking one in the morning,
and another one in the afternoon around 2pm. [/font]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:12 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

exorphin - so you were having w/d at 4 mg so then you dropped your dose down to 2 mg? That should have made your w/d worse, not better. Therefore, I'm kind of confused. I'm also wondering why you're dosing twice a day, unless you're taking it for pain (are you experiencing more w/d late in the day?). Perhaps you can offer more info?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:33 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

hatmaker510 wrote:
exorphin - so you were having w/d at 4 mg so then you dropped your dose down to 2 mg? That should have made your w/d worse, not better. Therefore, I'm kind of confused. I'm also wondering why you're dosing twice a day, unless you're taking it for pain (are you experiencing more w/d late in the day?). Perhaps you can offer more info?

Hi, hatmaker. I will try to clarify my post for you.
First of all, I had previously thought that I would have to pay out-of-pocket for my Subs,
and there was just no way that I could have payed (approximately) $300 for thirty days'
worth of 4 mg. Suboxone, so I went with the 2 mg. Subs. Furthermore, by the end of 2 weeks,
MOST all of the physical withdrawal symptoms had subsided; so, by then, I was dealing with
mostly intense cravings as well as psychological withdrawal symptoms.
And as for the second issue- no, I'm not experiencing any w/d late in the day,
however, I am experiencing considerable cravings late in the day;
and I believe that the medicine stays in my system more evenly with the twice-daily
dosing. This is just what works for me- I'm not saying that it will work for everyone.
-exorphin-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:37 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Ah, that makes sense. And I understand now - I hadn't realized you were tapering off. But since you are, the twice day dosing makes perfect sense. In fact at low doses during a taper like that, it's actually pretty normal and even recommended by Dr. Junig. I hope that second dose is handling your cravings. I wish you luck with your taper. :)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:49 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

hatmaker510 wrote:
Ah, that makes sense. And I understand now - I hadn't realized you were tapering off. But since you are, the twice day dosing makes perfect sense. In fact at low doses during a taper like that, it's actually pretty normal and even recommended by Dr. Junig. I hope that second dose is handling your cravings. I wish you luck with your taper. :)

I'm glad to have clarified my post for you...
Actually, I'm not tapering off-
I plan to stay on the 2 mg. dose for as long as I can, actually.
I have "refractory" (spelling?) depression, and both my Suboxonoe doctor and
I have agreed that this medicine is, indeed, helping this condition.
(A different topic than the topic of this thread, I know, but I wanted to further
clarify...) My insurance covers my Subs until the last week of November, and
after that, I plan to go down to 1 mg, a day, because I'm on a low/fixed income,
andI will have to pay out-of-pocket for them, and it will cost me at least $75.
P.S. Please feel free to send me a PM if you have any more questions.
-exorphin-

Post subject: My experience
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:12 am 
New Poster
New Poster

[font=Arial] [/font] Im new here and have learned alot from reading all of your posts. I started taking 16mg (2-8mg tab) tablets a day 2yrs ago. At first I was doing it at 1 dose in the am but they took forever to disolve then discover I could crush the tablets and I would sprinkle the powder under my tongue till I took my full dosage. After a 6months of this I tapered down on my own to just 8mg once a day and it worked out fine. I didnt tell my Dr this cause I was getting double my perscription therefore saving money, i eventually told my Dr cause I realized if she thought I was still taking 16mg a day it would interfer with my therapy but she kept perscribing that way to help me out. I was switched to 8mg film form a year ago, Ive always has issues with letting it dissolve under my tongue cause of the taste and my awlful gag reflex so I cut the film into pieces and place them under my tongue but I leave my tongue pressed to the roof of my mouth for 10 mins till dissolved then drink my coffee to mask the taste then swallow which has worked for me. For the last 6 mths I been taking 8mg every other day. Ive been thinking about tapering down to eventually get off of it completly but after reading alot on this forum Im thinking about just talking to Dr and set a maintance dose. She really hasnt set a time frame for me to get off yet but will discuss my options with her in December. Ive had multiple knee and back surgeries since 2001 and was on opiate pain pills for 8yrs and decided I really needed to get off of them cause I couldnt live "drugged" all the time. After detoxing at home and free of opiates for 3mths I suffered with PAWS so my pain Dr suggested Suboxone. So far everthing has worked out great with exception to a few more surgeries and having to stop the sub and take opiates for a short period for post-op then return to the sub. I know I will never live pain free but the Suboxone has help. Thank you for all the helpful info!!!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:53 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Really... I think the best way to get maximum absorption is to place a strip length-wise over the entire visible length of one of the two veins under your tongue. This is the example the Suboxone manufacturers give. I usually place one over each one of these veins. They will fully dissolve in ten to fifteen minutes, and at that point, I'm left with some bupe mixed with spit thereafter. I lastly slosh this around in my mouth — making sure to let those veins take the majority of the slosh — for another ten to fifteen minutes. Sometimes I will spit it out after, but most of the time I just swallow it. The naloxone inside does not get absorbed by your stomach or intestinal track as I'm guessing it's destroyed by stomach acid. This will absorb the remaining buprenorphine another 10%.

I know it probably seems gross to slosh this spit around your mouth for so long... but this is about maximum absorption. The most effective way besides straight IV'ing it (properly) is to snort the stuff, but those who get strips aren't allowed this luxury.

But yes... the point is it's these veins that have the most potential for absorbing the bupe. You want to make sure to expose that area to the meds whatever you do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:02 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Even though those are the manufacturer instructions, according to Dr. Junig, who has many degrees (which I cannot state at the moment), ANY of the mucous membranes on the inside of the mouth will equally absorb the suboxone film or tablets. There is nothing special about those veins under the tongue. Just wanted to clarify that. You can do a search for "maximum absorption" and find the good doctor's posts about this.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 199 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next