It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:14 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Well we have all seen the how do you take your suboxone thread at least once on this site well times have changed and now most of us are on suboxones new films and I’m wondering how you guys are taking your films?

I’m starting this thread cause like many of you myself is having the saliva issue once I put the films under my tongue. This now leads to me having too held all the juices in my mouth for a good hour so I’m not wasting any meds. Why cause of the issues of the sub concentration, meds washing away and all those other issues.

So this is how I’ve been taking my films, I’ll get a paper towel and keep it under my tongue for a good 15 minutes to try and get my mouth as dry as possible it works so so than right when I take it out ill put the films under my tongue and I seem to get a good 10 minutes b4 my mouth starts to get super wet which once that happens I hold my tongue right above the juices and keep it like that for 45 to 50 minutes. Overall I think I’m getting good absorption, I mean I take SUB for pain management as well as recovery and most days I make it through the day without terrible pains in my knee so I got to be getting a good amount of my meds. But I think I could be getting a little more, cause right around bedtime some night instead of 2mgs b4 bed I need 4mgs of sub but only like twice a week but that could just be the weather or how much I was on my feet.

oh yea i take 24 mgs a day

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:27 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Nice Idea for this thread!

I take between 8-12 mgs a day and I usually take them within 2 hours of waking up. If I'm only taking one 8 mg strip I break it in half and put one half on either side under my tongue. I do this because when I leave the strip whole it sometimes is up too far on my tongue and rubs my teeth and under mouth when I put my tongue down or it may just get stuck to the bottom of my mouth and I HATE that!! I'm sure other people have this problem, I know my husband and I do all the time. Anyway I always look in the mirror when I put my strip in so I can make sure it's in the right place and I make sure my tongue is very dry underneath and that my finger is dry (I have ruined strips just about by touching them to put them in place and accidentally bringing the wet strip out with my finger because it dissolves so fast) and I pat down the film with my finger to make sure it is stuck really good. I do this so the strip doesn't come off the bottom of my tongue and get stuck to the bottom of my mouth. I usually leave the strips in my mouth for about 30 minutes (sometimes more if I am at home and don;t need to talk lol) and I swish the saliva around all over my mouth for another few minutes and make sure the medicine taste is just about gone and then swallow. I don't wat anythnig for about 15 minutes after I swallow usually.

Sometimes I don't have time to sit with all that spit in my mouth for 30 minutes and I just do it as quick as possible. I do not obsess over making sure the strip is dissolved but I like to be as efficient as possible!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:16 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

[font=Century Gothic] I have been taking sub films for about 3 months. The first couple days I let it dissolve under my tongue, but I just cannot take that horrible taste (I always just swallowed the tabs)!!! It makes me gag every time because Im taking it first thing in the morning on an empty stomach. So now I just fold it in half and swallow it. I feel that it is just as effective, but sometimes Im unsure? Im wondering if it really makes a difference? Any thoughts?[/font]

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:13 pm 
Janis:

Are you serious when you say you swallow suboxone? That gives zero effect. If your getting effect from swallowing it, then you are very unique. That is what they specifically say not to do because it doesnt work like that. Its just not how its meant to be taken. Suboxone is absorb through the mucos membranes in your mouth. I am totally shocked by this!! lol. Never have i ever heard of someone who swallows suboxone. You've done this the whole time you've been taking it? I actually know first hand that they give zero effect when swallowed because i've accidentally swallowed one before. I ended up having to take another sub like 3 hours later because it did zero. Is this a joke or are you for real? lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:14 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

lifesaver wrote:
Janis:

Are you serious when you say you swallow suboxone? That gives zero effect. If your getting effect from swallowing it, then you are very unique. That is what they specifically say not to do because it doesnt work like that. Its just not how its meant to be taken. Suboxone is absorb through the mucos membranes in your mouth. I am totally shocked by this!! lol. Never have i ever heard of someone who swallows suboxone. You've done this the whole time you've been taking it? I actually know first hand that they give zero effect when swallowed because i've accidentally swallowed one before. I ended up having to take another sub like 3 hours later because it did zero. Is this a joke or are you for real? lol

I just read your post as well janis and was wondering are you really swallowing you suboxone like that? i was goanna say if so you are getting a placebo effect which is a good thing cause your body will not be dependant if this is how you take your sub. i bet if you stopped takeing it you would not go into WDs and would be free from suboxone all together!

mihonoja
That just happen to me today were the strip came out on my finger and was wasted pretty much. I just bit it off my finger and rub it all over the roof of my mouth luckily i have hundreads of pills left over from 4 years of suboxone scripts that i could take extra but this is the last time i plan on this happening. going to be way more carefull.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:31 pm 
To both of you that had the strip stick to your finger and get ruined it has happened to me and a pair to tweezers and a toothpick make things so much easier. The tweezers obviously to put it under tongue (its way less clumsy than fumbling around with your fingers, you can see exactly where you are putting it) and then I use the toothpick to push the strip down so it is completely flush against my skin. I usualy dont even do that anymore what I do now is set the strip right on the very tip of my tongue and then I use my tongue to rub it off onto the bottom of my mouth and it works great and sticks perfect no need for a mirror, tweezers and all that. Then I wait around 2 minutes for the strip to get soft and spread the gel all around the bottom of my mouth with my tongue. Ive tried the whole painting it everywhere around my mouth and in theory it should work but its to hard to not get it all over your teeth and its just a pain so Ive never noticed any difference in it being better. I wait 20 minutes with it under my tongue and then I elevate all the spit after 20 minutes onto the top of my tongue and then hold it in place pressing it against the roof of my mouth until all the bitterness is gone and then swish it around my cheeks for extra measure and then swallow. All in all I never keep it in my mouth for more than 30 minutes I just cant stand it, not the taste just how uncomfortable it is to hold all that juice in your mouth. I actualy have grown to like the taste its crazy to me that some people think its so bad they gag.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:59 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I put the strip in between my lip and gums like a pinch of tobacco and have noticed better absorption than under my tongue because it's not affected by saliva. Then after about 15 mins I rub it all over my mouth with my tongue.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:18 pm 
meh ive tried that to but it usualy ends up getting gunked up on my teeth and even if it doesnt Ive never noticed a difference, thats good tho if it works better for you. Ive tried everywhere in the mouth and under the tongue has always been the best despite the fact that everywhere in the mouth is the same for absorbtion. I just dont know how it could be the same because I tried for a couple days spreading it only across the roof of my mouth since no saliva washes any of it away and I thought it would work awesome because I could still taste it an hour or more later and i thought that was a good sign since it would have more than enough time to absorb but then a few hours later I started feeling awful and took it the normal way under the tongue and felt better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:53 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Wow, after reading how much trouble the strips are, I'm going to ask my doc to stick with the pill form.

J

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:14 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Lol it is very funny to me how each of us has our own little routine or ritual for doing our subs :)

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who gets the strip stuck to their finger, and the idea about using the tweezers and toothpick is great, I will try that here in a few minutes!!

I wanted to add in something funny, my 4 year old son saw my husband and I taking ou subs yesterday. For the first time!! And we have been taking them for quite a while. I guess he has just never noticed us taking them before...Anyway, he started in with 20 questions, and I hadn't really planned on what to tell him so I just told him they were our vitamins and we have to keep them in our mouth a while to get them to work :) Lol I also can't believe he has never asked any questions about why I can't talk to him for 30 minutes every day-except for little grunts here and there lol

Post subject: this is complicated
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:38 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I love the tweezers and the toothpick idea. And the paper towel to dry things out first. I've put the film under my tongue, only to realize that it stuck to my finger instead. Those things have gotten stuck all over, actually. It's sometimes really annoying, especially because I'm tapering. I always have chills in the morning lately, so I just hate to get out of bed before taking my Sub. I like to take it in bed and wait for it to kill the chills. The trouble is that I have to fold and rip the 2-mg film in half first and then take one half and put the other half back in the packet for my later dose. I'm really clumsy in the morning, and after all that fumbling around in the dark, I cannot go back to sleep, which is kind of the whole point. I've learned that if I put the film under my tongue and go back to sleep, I get the best result. I was setting my alarm and had my packet and scissors all ready, so I'd just open, place film, go back to sleep for a while. But that was before splitting the film. I don't want to split it at night, because I don't want it to degrade at all. I already have symptoms as it is!

I hate the spit problem. I wish we could turn off our spit-generators for just a half hour because it feels like I get more spit the more I focus on holding still and not making spit.

The taste doesn't bother me a bit. It tastes like the tabs, only less. Still, these films are proving to be kind of a pain and I may go back to tabs and powder my dose (another great idea someone put on here) and then do the liquid taper.

laddertipper

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:59 pm 
Yes the films are much more of a pain in the ass than the tablets. I wish there was some way everyone on the films could just boycott them and demonstrate how much we hate them so we could just get the tablets back. I can get the tabs Rx'd if I want but Im taking advantage of the 75$ off right now but when thats done screw the film I want the tabs again. I feel like paying the outrageous price for a form of medication that feels so much more of a hassle and less effective to me isnt fair. Also the pills come with a 1 year expiration date and the last 2 Rx's of films I got had a 4 month ex. date, that is just not fair. Reckitt wants them to degrade faster for those people who stockpile subs so they cant have a big stash left over. I know ex. dates aren't exact and meds stay good for long past them but with that film you never know it has nothing but that package to protect it. I felt powdered tabs absorbed alot better than film anyway, the film does not dissolve in 30 seconds for me like some people have said, I have to help it along by using my tongue or else even 30 minutes later there is still gel that hasnt dissolved.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:55 pm 
Well, as im pretty sure i've mentioned before i get my pharmacy to give me the medicine in its original bottle with the seal still on it. The bottle that comes with 30 in each bottle. Well, the most recent bottles i got for this month only had a 3 month expiration date. Thats crazy!! I think it should have a year at least. Its possible that the production of their stock they have at the moment is coming to an end and they are about to have to produce a whole new mass production. I dont know what the hell i just said but it made sense in my mind and i do know what im tryin to say so forgive me if it makes no sense lol.

Post subject: suboxOWNED
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:39 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

suboxOWNED wrote:
Yes the films are much more of a pain in the ass than the tablets. I wish there was some way everyone on the films could just boycott them and demonstrate how much we hate them so we could just get the tablets back. I can get the tabs Rx'd if I want but Im taking advantage of the 75$ off right now but when thats done screw the film I want the tabs again. I feel like paying the outrageous price for a form of medication that feels so much more of a hassle and less effective to me isnt fair. Also the pills come with a 1 year expiration date and the last 2 Rx's of films I got had a 4 month ex. date, that is just not fair. Reckitt wants them to degrade faster for those people who stockpile subs so they cant have a big stash left over. I know ex. dates aren't exact and meds stay good for long past them but with that film you never know it has nothing but that package to protect it. I felt powdered tabs absorbed alot better than film anyway, the film does not dissolve in 30 seconds for me like some people have said, I have to help it along by using my tongue or else even 30 minutes later there is still gel that hasnt dissolved.

Amen to everything!! That's why I'm dealing with the strips...because of that discount card. I'm trying to squeeze in two more fills before it expires. I hate that the films disintegrate. I tried cutting a films into 8 pieces and keeping the seven remaining pieces for doses on the next seven days. However, the things just do not last. It seems criminal after paying so much for them!!! I'm worried the tabs will suddenly be gone right after this discount thing expires. I had great luck powdering the tabs too. I frequently break up my film piece into two or more pieces and put them under my tongue on opposite sides. Dissolves faster that way. I thought the films dissolved fast at first. Then, I realized that sucker was still there. A powdered tab is actually faster, IMO.

laddertipper

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:20 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

It’s crazy how it seems so many of us are having troubles with the films now a day. It’s like we all loved them so much at first cause we got better absorption but once that wore off it just became a pain in the ass to take these things. My main thing I miss about the pills is the simple fact of it being a pill. So if I had too I could just throw one in my cup holder and take it when needed while I’m at school, work or whatever it maybe. Mostly if I needed to take SUB while driving with the pills I just popped one in my mouth and that’s was that took seconds and I’m on my way. But if I have to take the films in the car I have to pull over for at least 10 minutes just too first take the film out of this freaking foil which could take forever if you don’t have scissors, than look in the mirror to make sure you put it in the right spot than deal with if it sticks to your finger. While at the same time not looking like a complete drug addict getting your fix ready lol jk! But I wont lie I do get better pain management from the films than the pills for some reason.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:26 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I cut the 8 mg strips in half and I store them in those little ziploc pill bags that I got at Wal-mart and they stry fresh and intact for well over a week without dissolving or any problems I think it's much more convenient not having to carry around a rattling pill bottle Id much rather have the strips anyway I put it in and in 15 mins it's over. There is no reason to have to hold that crap in your mouth any longer that 15 mins your just not gonna get anything more out of it in that amount of time all that your body is gonna absorb has been absorbed and your just wasting your tine holding it for a half hour or even an hour for some people that's just ridiculous.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:57 pm 
If 15 minutes works for you thats awesome but the fact is those of us who are holding it under are tongue longer ARE getting more out of it than you are its a fact. Like Dr. Junig writes in the blog the 3 most important factors are surface area, concentrated solution, and time. The medication takes time to penetrate the mucous membranes and the longer you wait the more you are gonna absorb it is as simple as that. I do agree that an hour is a bit overkill but I dont swallow any of it for 30 minutes, sometimes if Im in a hurry I will after 20 minutes but thats the minimum. In the blog the Dr. writes that it takes about 15 minutes for it to absorb and not to eat or drink for at least another 15 minutes so what is left absorbing doesnt get washed away so I just keep it there for the 30 minutes to be sure and usualy wait an hour or at least a half hour before I eat or drink.

Post subject: Sorry to say
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 10:05 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

[font=Century Gothic]Sorry to say but *Suboxowned* i could be way off base here but i have read alot of your posts about your "rituals" for taking your suboxone and it sounds to me like alot of the things you do and say or better yet worry about seem to still exhibit addictive behavior. Maybe it is just how i perceive your posts but i seem to pick up on quite a bit of obsessive behavior when i comes to the way you take your medicine or think about it. For example in many of your post your main fear seems to be that your constantly worried about wasting even the Tiniest" amount of your suboxone, by either not absorbing properly or swallowing too soon or when the strips get stuck to your finger, this just seems to cause you ALOT of stress and anxiety from what you post on here. And again maybe its me but it seems to me that the majority of your post seem to have a reoccurring theme of anger and frustration. I am in no way trying to single you out, i am merely trying to give you a view from the outside looking in, and am truly concerned about how you are doing with your treatment and recovery? I sincerely hope you dont take this post as a personal attack and see it for what it is which is another addict reading someones posts and seeing red flags, and instead of simply ignoring them for fear or retaliation or their concerns being taken the wrong way, caring enough about a fellow addict and human to find out whats truly going on in that persons world![/font][/color]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 10:35 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Man some of you guys keep it in your mouth upwards of 30 min?!?!?!! That's crazy. One of the purposes of the films are to be much quicker. I keep it in exactly 15 min everyday. No more no less. Consistency is what is important. I am down to .75 so I fold the 2 mg strip to what looks to be at or near .75, put the piece at the tip of my index finger and slap that baby on the roof of the bottom of my tounge, hold it there for 10 min and then paint and swish it around my mouth before spitting it out at the 15 min mark. 10 min later I rinse out with water and Im good to go for the day. I would go CRAZY if I had to keep it in for 45 min!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 10:39 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Man some of you guys keep it in your mouth upwards of 30 min?!?!?!! That's crazy. One of the purposes of the films are to be much quicker. I keep it in exactly 15 min everyday. No more no less. Consistency is what is important. I am down to .75 so I fold the 2 mg strip to what looks to be at or near .75, put the piece at the tip of my index finger and slap that baby on the roof of the bottom of my tounge, hold it there for 10 min and then paint and swish it around my mouth before spitting it out at the 15 min mark. 10 min later I rinse out with water and Im good to go for the day. I would go CRAZY if I had to keep it in for 45 min!