It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:13 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Matthoss,

Actually, most regular posters and members of this forum are extraordinarily educated on and knowledgeable about this medication. Thank you for your concern though!

I do believe it may be advisable for you to find a more appropriately sized horse. :)

Have a great day!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:23 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Too funny, Amy...

Matthoss-- I suspect that most people here have read the PI, but they also realize that the insert is designed to answer the common questions in a general manner -- not to solve problems for individuals. Problems like...
- people who have no insurance and need to make do with less.
- people with extremely dry (or wet) mouths.
- people who can't stand the taste
Ad infinitum..... Plus, realize that all opioid users take an interest in pharmacology, and have much more knowledge about absorption, half life , and pharmacokinetics than you apparently realize,

Your answer was better Amy-- I just wanted to clarify!!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:26 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Amy14921978 wrote:
Matthoss,

Actually, most regular posters and members of this forum are extraordinarily educated on and knowledgeable about this medication. Thank you for your concern though!

I do believe it may be advisable for you to find a more appropriately sized horse. :)

Have a great day!

You got that right!! You know I was talking with someone...actually a person who's near my mom in Mobile and can keep an eye on her from a distance...and explaining Suboxone, etc to her yesterday...and out of the blue she says "it sounds like you may have found your calling"
I was going into explicit detail, about Suboxone, the effects that opiates have on the brain, the way Suboxone works by having a stronger affinity, the mu-opioid receptors....etc. I even went to my clipboard and got the greek "u" if she wanted to look it up and could search the proper term...
Since I can spit the stuff out like second-nature, it was nothing for me to explain to her.

Hell, when someone spends 3 years sitting at home...you can only clean so much house before its time to sit down and enjoy Google/Youtube. There's a wealth of information, and what better thing to learn about? It's like I told this person yesterday, "I wanted to know what I had done to myself over the years of opiate abuse/misuse..so I began researching and reading what I could find."

don't we all do that? or am I alone in wanting to know gory details about addiction, the new steps in addiction treatment, the changes in the medical community regarding MAT, etc..?

RIP little brother. Gone, but not forgotten.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:10 pm 
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

Open packets of subs (film) last for ages. Just put unused ones back into packet and fold. Edge over. Ive had ones like this that are exactly as strong 3 months later. Also 2 months past the expiry date. Heat will destroy though. Dont keep in pocket. They will melt. Even in summer if they were not airtight some of them went mushy and were not able to be used. Anything airtight is ok. Cling wrap etc.
I used to cut up my weekly amount when was tapering once a week and just store in packet
That way was easy first thing in am. Didn't want to stuff around with scissors etc.
The dose is spread completely evenly over the whole film. They are made in huge sheets and then cut up in the factory.
I had been using for 3 years and tapering so was very conscious of dose, or at least the amount i was receiving at each dose.

Last edited by c1234 on Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:48 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Johnathan,

I am pretty sure most addicts begin learning about drugs so that they can improve upon their high. I know that I did! Can we all join hands and scream "Potentiate!!!" ?!! Hahahaha. And I have no doubt that most of us also feel a certain calling to learn even more when it comes time for recovery.

I know for me, I actually earned a BA in Psych before I even got mixed up with pills. So, I knew right away exactly why and how they were affecting me. And my education is also what makes me feel so confident in the efficacy of Sub to get me off the darn things. =)

I also wanted you to know how sorry I am about your mom. I can't imagine being in that situation- with it being your mom. I am all for you having her committed. I think it is probably the best thing that you can do for her - a blessing in disguise. And I bet if you can get a judge to agree to keep her 'in' for a while, she will probably see it that way too! I DO understand part of how you feel though - I have gone thru something similar.

My oldest son's dad had a big problem with opiates, cocaine, and alcohol. I tried and tried to help him (as a friend, we had been split up since my son was less than a yr old.), but I just could not help him. It was about 3.5yrs ago that he got really bad and called me one night saying he had taken enough to OD and he was saying goodbye and to tell my son goodbye and he loves him. I instantly had one of the worst panic/anxiety attacks ever, and called 911. I was crying and screaming and absolutely hysterical trying to get them to help him bc I thought he was gonna DIE (mostly bc just a yr prior my boyfriend hung himself when we got in a fight, so I was ubber- sensitive to suicide threats... but that's another story...). Anyhow, it was the day after that episode that I gave up. I washed my hands of him. I knew he was either going to end up in prison or die. But either way, I just COULD NOT let him hurt me like that anymore. It was one of the hardest decisions I ever had to make. And it was less than a month later that he got into an car wreck, and killed a police officer in the city that we live in(and the officers dog). This was so hard on my son, who was just 11 at the time. I was so very angry at him for not being strong enough to get help, and for hurting those people who cared about and loved him so much, and I was so sad for the police officer's family..... BUT (and there's always a but...), now I am so very thankful that what happened, happened. Not that the officer had to die, but that something happened to save my son's father from himself. That something was such a horrible tragedy for another family, and it sickens me that it had to happen the way it did, but my son's father is now sober, and although he is in prison, he is clean. He can hold a conversation with my now 15 year old son and remember what he said the next day. And he knows what he did wrong, and is very remorseful.
I am sorry I just went waaaaaay off track, but my point was to let you know that I understand how hard it is to write someone you care about off. But, if all a relationship with her does is bring you pain, I understand if you have to turn away from her and let whatever happens, happen. All you can do is pray that she either has a change of heart, or goes to jail, or gets committed long enough to get clean enough to see the error of her ways....
I will keep you and your fam in my prayers for sure tonight!

Amy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:18 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

To tell that person that swallowing his suboxone has zero affect is ridicules. And to think he wouldn't WD is crazy too , of course he would. Swallowing it works just has fine, done it plenty of times. Maybe its not 100 percent has affective but it does work. Putting it under your tongue is just a direct port to your blood stream and swallowing it will get it there too. Just like eating weed brownies or how your suppose to put acid under your tongue but you think if you swallowed some you wouldn't get high? Of course you would so to answer this question for any one else wondering if you can swallow your strips , yes , its possible it won't be 100 percent as effective but id say no less then 90 percent as effective as putting them under your tongue.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:35 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

it has been explained that swallowing the strip destroys most if not all of the medicine, it is a SUBLINGUAL film, place under tongue(it will absorb through any membrane inside the mouth)

so "thinkaboutit" you are absolutely incorrect in every word of your post

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:37 am 
New Poster
New Poster

So why does it work for me and worked for the person who asked for three months so far are we different from any other human being. So if we swallow it our body ruins the medicine in it and what, it just sits in our body and and does nothing? No our body absorbs it and it goes and it enters our blood stream and effects us just as it would if you put it in our blood stream any other way and like I said it may not be 100 percent as effective but its gunna do what it does so yes just "think about it" if that doesn't make sense maybe I'm crazy.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:33 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I won't get into right or wrong, I'll just post what I have found to be true.... in my experience...

I have swallowed them (mostly accidentally or while dosing and had to talk to someone) and can tell you that I would not feel any effect (depending on the amount of time i had it under the tongue before swallowing).

I am also a proponent of at least 20 min to get the MOST out of them.

I can see how, with a low enough tolerance, that swallowing COULD have SOME effect but I would also think in that situation, that if you dosed correctly, under the tongue, you may have only needed a quarter of what you were swallowing... if that... But that is the only way I could see it work.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:40 am 

It seems like such a waste to swallow it. I have no idea of the absorption rate of swallowing it vs sublingualy. My guess is the difference is huge. Another method is to put it between your teeth and gums instead of under the tongue. Any contact with a membrane will suffice.

Just my 2¢ worth. All I go by is what the instructions say on the box it comes in. I just can't wrap my brain around thinking of taking it rectally.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:17 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

rule62 wrote:
I can't wrap my brain around thinking of taking it rectally.

I missed that part of the post, but it did get me thinking about the weirdest (in my opinion as I also believe in whatever works for others) thing I have heard of taking rectally...

There was an A&E show on I believe where a couple were "addicted" to Coffee Enemas. They couldn't/wouldn't drink it, but would rave about how AWESOME coffee enemas were.

All I remember thinking was, if they will go to those lengths to get the most out of coffee, it's a REALLY good thing they aren't into HARD drugs..

Anyway... sorry to hijack the thread.