It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 8:00 am 
New Poster
New Poster

I need some help, I just started Suboxone and I have been on it a little over a month. Wow, what a difference in the way I feel. It maybe what I remember as being normal. I don't know but from what I can remember what normal feels like, I like it. Anyway my insurance won't cover it and it is quite expensive. I didn't know if there is any sort of assistance out there that you can apply for or what. I don't want to quit taking it, but if it comes down to paying the bills, I might have to look for another alternative. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks Renea

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 5:14 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi,
Did you talk to anyone with your insurance company? With insurance companies making so many changes lately, I try to never assume anything or that a mistake (them or even pharmacy) wasn't made. Maybe make sure the prescription was written correctly. I have no idea, just throwing out a couple of ideas.
Unfortunately, I don't know about any assistance programs.
Good luck,
Melissa

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 5:44 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I agree with Melissa's idea's-- I think you are the first person I have heard say that insurance didn't cover it-- at least partially! The only one we have had trouble with is an HMO that doesn't cover meds for prescriptions written by docs who are not 'in network'. I would double-check-- call them up and ask for an explanation of why it is not covered. Some people have policies that exclude mental health services-- maybe that is the problem.

As for assistance programs, the company that makes Suboxone has one but only allows a couple patients per doctor to be on it. We have a waiting list for that program, but it doesn't turn over very often.

The final idea is to work your dose down to 8 mg per day; if you are on more than that, there is little if anything lost by going to that dose. That saves a little bit of the cost.

SD

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 11:18 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Yes there is financial help. I have the link but I need to spend some time to get it and I don't have that right now. I will get it to you tomorow the May 14th.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 12:00 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi, I have only been on suboxone for a short while also, and u r right it is very expensive. One thing thet helps me is, I will pick up 1 weeks supply at a time and it's much cheaper that 30 pills at once. I am only on 8 mg per day and 7 pills are 56.00 . As opposed to 186.00 for 30. It would just be too hard to come up with that all at once as well as pay the doc the 250.00 twice a month. I hate to say it but it was cheaper when I was buying off the streets( but never again hopefully) . The cost is the main reason for discontinuing treatment. You should talk to your doc about going to a lower dose. I do relly well on 8mgs, and I had a very bad addiction for 10 years. Also I am trying to hang in there ( as you should ) until october. I have read thet in october of 09 the patent will be up on this drug and it can be available in a generic. I hope I read right. My doctor is also pushing me to be off suboxone in less than a year. It would be sooo nice to be off everything including suboxone but I DON'T THINK IT'S REALISTIC. Not for me any way. So I am going to use this time to look for a doc that does maintanence. I hope this info helps in some way. I know what a struggle it is to pay the bills and try to gat a normal life back on trac. Try not to get discuraged and hang in there with me until October and maybe we can catch a break. I know there will be good things for us down the road, We have come so far already. If u need to e mail me feel free, YOU HAVE MY SUPPORT. PS. This is the best place for info and support IMO.