It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:06 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I rarely make new topics, and normally I just post in reply to others, but check this out:

Of course we all know that opiates, when abused long-term, can cause something similar to meth-mouth..I'm not sure HOW this happens (maybe someone can enlighten me on how opiates ruin your teeth), but I know that my dental problems are lingering because of my opiate abuse...and I had absolutely NO problems until I started abusing Oxycontin..that's when my teeth turned to near chalk, and just crumbled!

And I could tell you guys some horror stories about what I've been through with pain and abscesses in the past year..they are getting VERY bad..and I've had to break down and do something about it.

I went and called the dentist yesterday morning..I thought "they won't get me in for atleast a week I bet..."
I was WRONG.
They wanted me to come in almost immediately...so 2 hours later I was leaving to go get seen by the dentist.

Now, I've been through some pretty tough things with dental problems...thought I haven't detailed much about it here...the suboxone has helped me with pain and issues I've had recently...but I'll give a couple of examples.

How about...up in the middle of the night, because there's an abscess in the roof of my mouth. I can see it when I look in the mirror...it's right above my tongue, right behind the two front teeth. And it's swelled up!!
SO ...there's me, at 1am, in the bathroom with a razor blade (used to, if I was in the bathroom at that time of night with a razor, it was because I was chopping up an oxycontin and snorting it)
And I'm piercing this abscess with that razor blade. Well, I didn't really "pierce it"...if any of you have ever noticed, the skin inside your mouth is VERY tough...it's hard to even stick a needle in it...so I'd say I "sliced" the abscess open. And did it work? yes...I had a piece of cotton that I pushed out the..well, I won't go into that..but it made my stomach turn!!

My mouth, when I look in the mirror, DISGUSTS ME. I am reminded of my opiate addiction EVERY TIME I look in the mirror...or try to smile.

ANYWAY...the dentist recommended that I do something about 1)an EYE tooth that I broke on Saturday while at dinner with my family. I was eating something pretty hard, and I felt it crack...but I didn't think it would swell up!! IT DID!
2)the tooth next to it toward the center that had been broken for almost a year. It crumbled and broke off nearly at the gum...now THIS tooth had caused me some serious problems, because it was on my chin, near the center-bottom. The abscess I had about 3 months ago with this tooth actually CAME OUTWARD!!! I know, disgusting..but people have SURELY seen worse. I had to let my goatee grow on my chin because there was a small pit in the middle of my chin, because of this tooth and the abscess that came actually OUTSIDE my mouth..and it would actually drain outside!!
3)I had 3 teeth toward the back, beside this eye tooth, that had broken in the past couple of years and were EVEN with the gum line. NOTHING was there, and there wasn't anything to do me any good...

So..let's add this up. He wanted to pull FIVE teeth (or what some people might call teeth.)
I thought it over, decided that I had procrastinated LONG enough, and said yes. Go ahead and get ALL five. I wasn't sure he would pull them yesterday because I had some infection that was building up because of the one that I broke on Saturday...it wasn't real bad, but it was getting there. Usually dentists won't pull abscessed teeth. They say it's a risky thing to do, because the infection can get into your blood stream and cause major health probs.

My wife has been on my case to quit letting myself go like I have been..Last year (2011) I had dental insurance..but just wouldn't go to the dentist. I kept putting it off. Then once August/September rolled around, I REALLY had an excuse, because I didn't want to pay the $75 deductible that late in the year...just to pay it again in January of 2012.

So, the dentist did his thing. I won't go into details..but it DID NOT feel great!!
Not sure how many of you guys are up on dental things, but novacaine sometimes won't deaden an infected area...if you have an abscess, and you try to get it deadened, sometimes it won't "kill" it all the way..and you are left feeling it. This happened to me, a little. He did manage to get ALL FIVE..3 of them were just little pieces..the EYE tooth that I broke saturday...well it was a bitch!! Took a good bit of prying and pushing on it...but it finally came out.

For the most part, I was deadened yesterday..so I didn't care.
BUT TODAY....OMG. I've up'd my Suboxone a little...to help "cover" the pain..and it's working. I am really just "tolerating" the pain..as the Suboxone doesn't make it go away..it doesn't make me "not" feel the pain..but I can deal with it and manage to move around.

The only thing that I'm taking from the dentist is the Penicillin VK that he wrote me 28 of. I KNOW that I need those..they will help with the infection (and I can tell they are working because I have this itching feeling right now, but it's more like on the outside of my face, not inside my mouth.)

Actually, it feels like my chin is itching..and not so much my gums...but I know it's healing and I'm MUCH better off with those things out of my head *could be causing me the headaches that I sometimes get??*

There's my story.

I also have my Suboxone appointment tomorrow...it's time for my 1x every 3 months visit..and I can tell him my success..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:54 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

From what I understand, the reason people's teeth go to hell while on opiates is the dry mouth that opiates can bring on. Not having enough saliva in your mouth leaves teeth vulnerable for some reason??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:00 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Romeo wrote:
From what I understand, the reason people's teeth go to hell while on opiates is the dry mouth that opiates can bring on. Not having enough saliva in your mouth leaves teeth vulnerable for some reason??

I can't blame my dental problems totally on opiates, because my children have some issues, and they DEFINITELY haven't been taking any opiate painkillers...I can promise that...
My youngest son, who's 6, has some teeth that are doing what mine did, turning to basically just chalk, then breaking off at the gum.

I still have a few to have pulled, but we can all probably guess what I'm going to have done....upper and lower plates.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:02 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

i second romeo'. jonathamn '. i wish you not to cut the abcsess any more? your dendist should have told you this.
it's very danger's cutting in to an abcess becouse the puss can enter in to your blood streem, and clogg your capularies
in the heart and it could slow down speed up or even stop. i'm no Doc but this happened to some one i new and he died.
ya " i hold a lot of water in my mouth and my teeth are a little better than they were befor. but i'm still worrying about my meds being stoped by medco.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:22 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I would suggest you take some ibuprofen. It's an NSAID and will help greatly with the inflammation. Many, many people have come thru here with dental work done without full agonist pain meds and couldn't say enough how much regular ole ibuprofen helped them. Give it a try. You could take up to 800 mg - at least that's what my doctor has me take. It's the same as the prescription dose - but that said, I'm no doctor.

Give it a try, you might be surprised. Feel better soon.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:10 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

hatmaker510 wrote:
I would suggest you take some ibuprofen. It's an NSAID and will help greatly with the inflammation. Many, many people have come thru here with dental work done without full agonist pain meds and couldn't say enough how much regular ole ibuprofen helped them. Give it a try. You could take up to 800 mg - at least that's what my doctor has me take. It's the same as the prescription dose - but that said, I'm no doctor.

Give it a try, you might be surprised. Feel better soon.

I've actually thought about that, but I seem to be doing...somewhat ok.

Today (2 days after having 5 teeth extracted), i feel more bruised than anything else. I tried to eat a soft beef burrito from Taco Bell today, because i was CRAVING real food..but I barely managed to do it

I'm doing ok with the pain..yes it hurts, pretty bad..but it's not "that" bad. I can tolerate it.

I just don't think I'll let the dentist pull 5 at one time again...I want to go a little slower than that...it's too much at once and I can hardly talk right now...plus I can't really eat.

Post subject: me too
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:24 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

my teeth suck too and dental insurance doesn't cover jack; that's why many people that stuggle financially have shitty teeth. usually people with addiction's tend to neglect their dental hygiene when in active addiction. mostly after people sober up, they become more self- aware. dry mouth from medications plays a huge role because it lessens the enamel somehow (not too sure). i have multiple crowns and am going through an implant process momentarily. it requires me to wear a retainer for a year, which in return only makes my mouth dryer. i've spent at least 15k to rebult my teeth and they still ain't no pearly whites :cry:

DO NOT NEGLECT YOUR TEETH!