It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: How to switch doctors
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:18 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I've been with my current sub doc for about a year. She has taken me down by half in the few months. I've been running out ever since. I have told her everytime. I've never relapsed and am always 100% honest. I don't know what else to do. She keeps taking me down and it's getting harder everyday.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:33 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

hello L,

Just through experience I have noticed that Some Doctors want you to Get on Buprenorphine as a "Means to an End" So basically you start Suboxone at a certain dose and you go down from there on a given timeline until you are completely off the medication.

However, some doctors are believers in "long term Suboxone Maintenance". I happen to see a doctor that feels this way. so I have been on the same dose for years with no end game.

If you are in the first category, which it seems like you are, the only option would be to switch to another doctor. I would first have a conversation with your current doctor and tell them you want to stay on your dose and remain there. But that may not be an option. Not all Doctors are using Bup as a long term solution.

Do you have any other Doctors in your area that you can call and switch over too?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:40 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Yes I know a few doctors but I don't know how to go about changing doctors

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:42 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

There is a search on this blog. At the Top left hand sections that says " Find Suboxone Doctors" you will need to put in your location and then you can search your area. Are in you in the United States??

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:48 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Yes indiana

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:05 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

In that link, 'find suboxone doctors', you will find links to doctor directories at the top of the page. I recommend the SAMHSA site: https://www.samhsa.gov/medication-assisted-treatment/physician-program-data/treatment-physician-locator

But the others work too-- just realize that some are more current than others.

To change doctors, you would find someone accepting new patients, and then if they have openings let them know that you would like to transfer from a different doctor.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:25 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you. I've called and they're excepting patients but need my current doc to send my documents and info. I'm worried she could cut me off for wanting to change docs.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:48 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Sorry, I logged off before i could help you, but I am gratefull Subdox stepped in to explain the "Find Suboxone Doctors button " to you.

I would not worry at all about the "New" Doctor getting your info from your "Current "Doctor. This would be a Perfect time to have a conversation with your current doctor about why you are needing a New Doctor. I would tell him/her that your would like a Doctor that will support your Long Term Suboxone Maintenance journey. And you don't want to be rushed off a medication that is working so well for you.

And...Maybe afterwards , your current doctor might agree to leave you on your dose. But, if not they must understand that you are doing what is right for you and your addiction treatment.

let us all know how if worked out for you.

Good luck

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:49 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:44 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

My doctor kicked me from the program. I've had no relapses ever. I was 100% honest. She gave me a month script to get me through till I find a new doc.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:37 pm 

Good thing you saw the writing on the wall! Have you made progress finding a new doctor?

Amy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:41 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I called today right after I left my Dr. And my appt is Tuesday. So I hope if I'm honest and tell him my situation that he'll understand

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:42 pm 

That's very good to hear. I'm glad you're covered.

Amy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:49 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

My fingers are crossed. I've been told this doc is very understanding and listens. But obviously ill have sub in my system so idk how that will work. Hopefully honesty is the best policy this time

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:37 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Going to new doc today. Informed them of my situation. I was totally honest on the phone about my last doctor. Really need this to happen for me. So much depends on today.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:22 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

HI L,

i just want to let you know that i am thinking about you and I wish you all the best with your appointment. I am hoping it goes well. I am sorry to hear about the last doctor. But I truly believe everything happens the way it should happen. Meaning... by getting kicked out of the last place, something better will be open to you. And now that you have your new appointment, I am wishing you the best outcome with your long term maintenance medication.

Take Care!!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:04 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I can finally breath. The therapist and doctor were very understanding. I am completely amazed with how different this place is. She said my last doctor was definitely running her program outside the guidelines. Theyre putting me on a new type of bup called bunavail. It delivers more without wasting 75% of the bup. And they understand not every patient adapts as well as others. Everything does happen for a reason. The amount of relief is so calming. Thank you guys for help.i plan on being more active on this site to help people

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:02 pm 

Oh Laz! What a relief!

I am so glad that the new place is much more understanding. I knew you were worried, but I felt pretty sure, for some reason, that this place would be different. Your former doctor was totally practicing incorrectly. I am very glad that the doctor has a therapist associated with the practice. That's who I hope to be someday! An addiction therapist working with buprenorphine clients.

In any case, I'm very happy for you!

Amy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:07 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you. I feel like the therapist is a huge help with this process

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:42 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I am so glad everything worked out for you-and quickly!! I have a feeling I will be writing your post in a few months-with the exception of being kicked out!