It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:16 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hi everyone! This is my first post on the forums.
I discovered subs about a year ago when I was still shooting up pain killers (opiates) on a daily basis, as a way to escape withdrawal when I was broke.

However, recently i've finally gotten my suboxone from the doctor after a very long wait. Now i've got my strips & I have quit opiates completely to begin my suboxone treatment in the hopes of getting clean & no longer being dependant on any substance.

Anyways, I am very curious if other people on the forums, especially those who have been doing subs a while, feel that the subs affect their mood when taken.
Personally, when I take my dose after an hour, once the dose hits me, I feel generally much happier. I feel more energetic. The main feeling I usually get is the feeling of productivity. I feel like digging into some work, getting some writing or research done, or I just really like to have stimulating conversations, & learn new things. It does make me a bit chatty, usually depending on how crappy or bland I felt before I took the subs. It's not like cocaine or anything like that. It's much more mild than that, & it is probably just me feeling less crappy overall.

I would be interested in knowing from the long time users if this wears off after a while, or maybe it's just me because of how skinny I am & how fast my metabolism is.
I'd love to hear your stories! :)

-Visa B.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:02 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hey VisaBlack!

To answer your question - yes; for the most part, people who are currently taking Suboxone (either in the form of a pill or dissolvable strip) will experience a general change in mood.
At least that has been my experience with Suboxone. In December of 2014, I will have 3 years sober & I will have been on Suboxone for 3 years. In short, I am very used to its' effects and as far as it changing your mood for the better, it will all depend on what dosage you are receiving. Obviously if you started off at a high dose and you are tapering off, the stimulation to your mood and overall wellbeing will decrease.

When I have taken one of my doses for the day (especially my first dose), I am almost always stimulated to the point that I want to have a conversation, watch a favorite TV show of mine, read a favorite book, and/or have an in-depth discussion on a platform such as this.

Before I discovered sobriety, the reason I grabbed for the opiates was because of the total lack of energy I was feeling due to an advanced thyroid issue & low testosterone. Extremely low energy & low hormones could make anyone feel extremely unlike themselves. What I find with Suboxone is those issues are no longer a problem for me because I'm no longer the anxious mess I once was (in addition to treatment) - on the other hand (and this goes for all the guys reading out there), low testosterone can actually be a common side effect for men who take Suboxone. Obviously because ceasing the Suboxone therapy is a terrible idea, it is instead supplemented with a testosterone hormone therapy.

And a last little note just for further discussion: I am very disappointed with the doctors out there who refuse to further prescribe Suboxone after the first 2 weeks of a patients sobriety. The thinking behind this is the patient no longer needs the substance because Suboxone (at least in their opinion), should only be used as a maintenance medicine for the withdrawals that accompany heavy drug use. I may be new to the boards, but I am a huge supporter of Suboxone therapy, so much so that I attend a weekly Suboxone support group for those just recently being introduced to the therapy. I honestly don't have much patience for those healthcare providers who refuse to treat their patients for the better of their patients and instead treat with the aide of their own moral viewpoints.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:25 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Unfortunately that feeling of productivity will fade fairly quickly, I never felt much of a glow or anything when I got inducted I just felt so much better that I wasn't sick anymore but one time a several months into my treatment I had to go right about 2 weeks without any subs cold turkey and once I finally got to take a sub after those 2 weeks I definitely felt that talkative productive feeling on the first dose but the second dose the next day it already was gone and I just felt normal again. The good news is that I have been on subs for 4 years now and even after all that time it still takes care of probably 80% of my cravings and I don't have that many using thoughts. So yes you will not feel that glow forever but they will still take care of cravings IME.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:53 pm 

It seems to be really individual how peoples' moods respond to their dose. It may, like Buprecision says, fade after your body gets used to the sub. It has not faded for me. I generally feel like the world is a bit of a better place for a while after my dose.

In fact, some people are on sub purely as an antidepressant, although this is not the norm and is not an approved therapy for depression. My opinion is that you should take advantage of your burst of energy! There are some folks for whom suboxone has an opposite effect, so just feel fortunate and use it to your advantage! :)

Amy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:38 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Amy is very right about it being incredibly dependant on the individual and often completely different.

I've been on 4mg once in the morning for about 5 months now. For me, it is mostly similar to being on full agonists except for maybe 10% of the feelgood euphoria. I mostly took opiates to cure my social anxiety, which they did 100%, and the sub still does about 70% of that, but I've also worked through that issue in therapy which has made it manageable, I think, even if I were to stop the subs.

I do feel very level and un-excitable emotionally. Music sounds very flat and doesn't provoke any kind of feeling, that feeling that makes you dance or happier/sadder depending on the song. I feel like my libido and interest in sex is higher than it was on morphine, though still not as much as when sober - it's actually at a great midpoint where it's great and enjoyable without being overwhelming and foremost in my thoughts 24/7, as it usually is for 23yo males like me.

Overall, I feel stable and solid, while generally being just north of 'meh' on the happiness/depression scale of my life. It has directly resulted in my rebuilding of a stable, responsible, fulfilling, and generally happy new life for myself. Gone are the euphoric peaks and the desperate, hopeless valleys. Here to stay is the 70% happy all the time great plains of my emotional wellbeing. It took some getting used to, at first it was as boring as it sounds, especially for an addict who enjoyed that roller coaster ride. At some point I'll get off the sub for some variety, it's not even 6 months in yet.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:46 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Amy what dose are you on? Not gonna lie Im a bit jealous that I don't feel a buzz with my dose but its probably for the best. When I said that feeling of "productivity" would pass I didn't mean it in the way that you will feel sluggish and unproductive I just meant you wont have that "vacuuming sure is fun" I wanna clean the house and do the dishes feeling that oxycodone would give, I still feel my best right after I dose and for the next few hours. Right around 8 hours I start to want another dose but Im not on a huge dose so (3-3.5mgs) that could be part of it.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:34 am 

I'm at 2 mg, Bupe. I wouldn't call what I feel a buzz. More of an attitude adjustment. :)

Amy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:06 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Amy-Work In Progress wrote:
I'm at 2 mg, Bupe. I wouldn't call what I feel a buzz. More of an attitude adjustment. :)

Amy

Yes, that is very good terminology. I was trying to figure out a way to say that when I read your response. My mind just sort of "clicks" if that makes sense.

By the way, I really appreciate the question and thoughtful answers. As a newish person to sub, I like to read honest feedback from others who have been through this. It gives me confidence to make informed decisions about my addiction. So, thank you!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:15 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Thank you so much for the responses guys! I take 2mg, usually once in the morning and once before bed.

Personally, I got on subs with the idea of no longer needing a substance to survive.
I feel so much healthier now that i've been off the needle. Color has come back to my skin, i've gained 8 lbs in 10 days, which is great because I was deathly underweight before.

Currently my main fear is that I become addicted to the subs. I didn't get on subs just to have a new addiction. However, I heard some people say that subs aren't bad for you. (Maybe they meant in comparison to pills it is little to nothing, im not sure)

I know my doctor is just going to keep giving me script after script of the strips for at least 3 months. She prescribed me 8mg a day, but I know I dont need that much. (Like I said I have been doing 2mg twice a day)
Currently, i'm trying to get down to just 2mg a day once before bed.
Basically, what I want to know is: How long will it be before the subs are no longer helping me get clean, and they become a new addiction. I'm not even sure if you can get seriously addicted to subs, but I have heard of people who are, but I am worried about physical addiction- not mental.
Should I already be worrying about tapering my dose down? Should I be trying to quit subs already in order to get dependant free? Or is this something I dont need to worry about for a few weeks or months down the road? Maybe this isnt even a realistic thing to worry about? I have no idea. I'd rather get info from users rather than doctors who just read a pamphlet and write out the scripts.

I am currently feeling great about life. I take my little piece of a strip in the morning, and I have a good day. Then once before bed & I have a great nights sleep. I'm seriously afraid of withdrawal- that's why I got on subs. Life is good, I can get subs for a while, should the subs stay or should they go? I want them to stay, at least for a few more weeks, if it really isn't going to become a huge issue in contexts of dependence.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:56 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I feel no happiness, euphoria or anything like that. If anything I feel very slightly withdrawn. But not in a sad way, just like I can take a few seconds more before making decisions or answering questions.

The MAD thing that's happened is that I have started doing all the jobs around the house that needed done. Not in a hyper speedy way, just slow and steady and methodical. Ive got LOADS done since I started on the Subutex. My wife is cockahoop! (Oh My!)

I hope she is not too disappointed if Mr Buliderman dissapears up his own arse when dem pills is all etten up! :shock:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:11 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Well when you take the sub it does kinda of "right the ship" so to speak with the brain and all the "feel good" sensations that go on up there. From what I understand after long term opiate abuse it severly disrupts the brain and its normal rythm of producing natural feelings of energy, well being etc. Thats where the sub comes in. Being a half opiod agonist it helps with all that while the brain is healing from all the abuse. Kind of like training wheels on the bycycle path back to sobriety and normal brain function. Thats why you will never achieve that elusive, lying full agonist buzz you "used" to get from percs and tabs etc. To answer your question with my experiences yes the jolts of energy will decrease in intensity and longevity over time. Thats the idea right. Slowly ease back into reality.