It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 11:42 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

:?: Hello everybody, first time, just signed in, here is my issue: my wife was rear ended by a semi-truck at a low speed while 8.5 months pregnant, gave birth early with about 5 Herniated discs, a bunch of Bulging discs and Anular tears before having numerous fusions performed on my neck and back vertebrae/discs. I am sick of being on this medicine (oxy 30,15,MS 30,Soma, Epideral Injections,etc) so my husband had a friend who asked if I ever tried the new sub 8mg films?

Even tho if I were off of the meds I would stil be in pain but I am soo tired of the Dr visits and more tired of the goose chase after the appt to find the meds witch do othing for me pain wise rather keep me from ot being sick(wds/dts,etc) I hate going to 20 pharmacies in a day and nobody has any Oxycodone because I live in Fla where all the out of staters abuse our system so badly that the laws are cracking down on the pharmacies rate of delivering the meds,daily,monthly qty capped so sometimes I just have an 10 RX papers for all my meds for days b4 I an fill them.

Back to the 8mg strips, anyhow I was wondering how many of these I would need to come off of around a daily dose of 210-270mg of roxys, them being 30 mg + 15mg for break thru to just stop this cycle and how I would start them as in how many first day/night,2nd day/night, and so on, my pain Dr does not have proper license to write Suboxone so before I go and find one who can write them I would like to know what I am looking at here vs the wds of just doing it cold turkey as I have b4 and it was the most horrible thing/week I have ever gone thru. Somebody please explain Pros and Cons

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 11:45 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

PS I was told it could be done in a week, is that total BS or is it possible? PLus I don not want her to go from one long term drug to another...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 7:51 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Going from active addiction with your DOC to suboxone isn't going from one addiction to another. Suboxone helps put our active addiction into remission. Yes, those of us on sub are dependent on it, but we're not addicted to it. There's a big difference.

And yes, it is possible to use suboxone as a detox only tool. The problem with that, however, is what do you do once the acute withdrawals are past? If you are truly addicted and depending on your personal and addiction history, you will start craving and obsessing about using again and relapses become a real possibility. This is where staying on suboxone for longer than a few weeks or even months comes in. It gives us time to learn to live without taking drugs whenever we feel the need. We can take the time when we're on it to improve our entire lives and learn to deal with life's normal ups and downs without popping pills.

Getting away from active addiction and getting into recovery/remission/being "clean" (I hate that word) is a lot more than just getting past the acute withdrawals. It's changing bad habits we learned over the years, it's unlearning poor coping skills, etc etc. Suboxone helps us learn all of those new things in an effort to have an overall healthy lifestyle. Many of us go to therapy or counseling during our sub treatment. This helps us to learn new coping skills and things like relapse prevention. Then, when the time is right, it's a matter of slowly tapering down off the suboxone.

I hope this helps. Good luck to you and if you have more questions, please just ask.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 10:39 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Thank you Hatmaker for your interest and info, however what kind of scheduling would you use in order to overcome this high amount of oxycodone? Im sure there have been many times where the 300mg or 400 mg amount have been taken and that just leads to running out early and borrrowing from friends or street buying at unworldly costs. If I have to buy the films off the streets how would I administer them? I dont know anything about how strong the films are compared to the oxys or how many to start her out with or anything, I just know that it would be better to get back to the lifestyle before the 30s came into the picture :( :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 10:59 am 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Are you thinking of getting Sub on the streets? Because your Sub dr will give you an induction dose and tell you when to start it. She needs to be in moderate withdrawals before starting Sub or she could go into precipitated w/d. There is a COWS scale that tells you more about that. Google it and it will come up...don't know the link name.

I came off Methadone 75mg, waited 6 days using a few vicodin to help, and after 18 hours of last vicodin I started Sub and did fine, even tho I had mild w/d only. I took 2mg Sub and waited to see if I'd have any pwd and I didn't, so an hour later took another 2mg. Felt so much better....then later took another 6mg for a total of 10mg the first day. My dr said to take the total amt i took in the first 24 hours as my starting dose the following day, so day 2 I took 10mg in am. Did great...I ended up needing a bit more....so I was on 16mg for a couple of months...then tapered and am on 6mg now.

She can use this as a detox tool....or get on Sub for several months (6 maybe) and get her life back to normal, allow her brain to heal from the up and down of shorter acting opiates....and then taper off. Or she can use it for pain...and pain doses are higher and dosed a couple of times a day.

Find a sub dr. and follow his/her instructions....I believe its preferrable to what she's doing now for sure if she is still having pain.

I agree that it also depends on her addiction history....was this for pain only initially? Was she using before? She was pg so I am guessing no, but its possible. In my opinion if there is a long addiction history then getting on Sub for longer may be needed...learning how to live without turning to drugs to escape our feelings takes some time. Hope you all find a good Sub Dr.