It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: how to prepare
PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:36 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Hello all! Ive been lurking for a while. I was suppose to induct in november...but my appt was cancelled the day I was start the withdrawal process. I was super disappointed and ended up using more than I was on before. I finally got another appt and I induct next Tuesday. This is my last hope. Im afraid to go into w/d I have no idea how bad it will be. As I have been fortunate to have always had the pills everyday since I started using 27 months ago (shoulder injury). Ive had days where I didnt have as much as I would like...had to stretch what I had...id feel crappy. Guess im just looking for some encouragement and maybe an idea of how bad this will be. Thanks for listening to me ramble:)

Post subject: Re: how to prepare
PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:27 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Freshstart,

Always a pleasure to have another join the forum! Welcome to you!

You aren't rambling, you have legitimate thoughts and concerns that we all have had at one point I promise you. Having been through withdrawal so many times, and then being able to induct on Suboxone, I can tell you a few things to expect. I'm off now after a little over 3 years on bupe therapy, but it did save my life, and I have nothing but good things to say about it.

Actually what you want is to be in an unpleasant withdrawal condition as you possibly can at induction. You have to begin getting sick to feel better if that makes any sense. Yes, you will feel terrible, yes you will want it all to go away, and yes it basically sucks to be in withdrawals, but it's a must in order to be successful. But once you get that first dose or two of sub on board you should begin to feel so much better within a short period of time. It's amazing really!

As to how bad it will be depends on how much you have used daily, what was your drug of choice, and for how long you were using it. You said it had been 27 months, but if you could share what drug you used and how much, then maybe we could give you a little more info about how bad the process is expected to be.

Just need to prepare yourself for withdrawals and I know that's easier said than done. Most everyone here has been through it and can offer you additional input. But basically you will need to stop all other drugs approximately 1-3 days before your appointment next Tuesday. Many people have different views on exactly how long a person should wait until their last dose of drugs ends and before induction begins. Some will say wait 2 days, some say 3 or more and that's ok. Knowing what I know now I always suggest the use of what is called the Cows (clinical opiate withdrawal scale) to help prevent any precipated withdrawals from coming your way. You put a number score on each of many withdrawal symptoms and once you get to a certain score you're ready for induction. I will give you the link to the Cows below and it explains how to use it best.

Cows Sheet
http://www.naabt.org/documents/cows_ind ... _sheet.pdf

You should ideally be in moderate to severe withdrawals. Check it out and see what you think. I would always use it it it were me. Another fine tool to help us.

Hope this helps and I wish you the very best at your induction. Post any questions you may have. You will get lots of support here as you go through the process. Good luck!

Karen

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:13 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Good advice. I would just add that if you are on methadone or fentanyl, you will want to have a longer period of abstinence. How long? As long as possible-- a week, ideallly. If you have been using oxycodone, morphine, or hydrocodone (or heroin), 48 hours is usually plenty of time, and even 12 hours might be OK, depending on your tolerance level. The higher your tolerance, the more important it is to have some time off opioids.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:36 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Thanks for your replies! I have been using oxy and hydrocodone daily for 27 months...anywhere from 40-100mg per day. Ive felt a little withdrawal before...and that was so unpleasant. Honestly...im looking forward to the withdrawal. I truly hope it is a memorable experience. This is not me. I never thought this addiction would consume me the way it has. The thought of the freedom that I feel suboxone will give me...wow.! Ive read so many good outcomes from sub therapy...I feel like tuesday will not get here soon enough. Thanks for the encouragement!!