It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: How much is too much?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:32 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hello,

I am wondering if there is an amount of elicit substance someone could be taking daily that would make suboxone not work after waiting the appropriate amount of time before induction because the daily dose is too high? I mean, can you be on a dose so high that subs won't work until you reduce your daily dose? And, how long should you be on the lower dose, amount of days, before you should try the suboxone again in hopes it works?

I tried suboxone after relapse and it did not work. A friend told me it was because my dose was so incredibly high I had to reduce for the subs to work, that the subs just would not work against the dose I am on. I am just wondering if this could be the case and if I should reduce my daily intake and try again or am I doomed?

I want to be clean so badly but I have tried 3 times now and I have not been able to make it because the subs are just not working. I am not sure I can go into usage details here on this forum but I am on a very high dose and am really worried because subs worked so well for me before and now they are not. I was on a much smaller dose before so I am wondering if there is validity to this theory.

I hope I am explaining all this correctly. Any information you could add would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Jennifer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:08 pm 

Hi Jennifer, Welcome! Please do tell us your drug of choice and the amount that you are taking. This will help us to give you accurate feedback. My guess is that you did not wait long enough before starting the suboxone or you did not take enough suboxone to stop the withdrawl. Hope to hear from you soon!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:54 pm 

Totally agree with Michelle, we need to know what u were taking and the amount or we can't give ya good advice. Nobody knows who u are or even where ur from on this forum, so since it's anonymous why not tell us so we can help u?

Sometimes ppl who come off something powerful like methadone or fentanyl, it takes suboxone a little longer to take over the receptors, could that be what's happening? Suboxone will work, but it may not be as immediate for some who's tolerance was used to something a lot more potent.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:45 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Agreed. But I've had patients who were taking over 500 mg of oxycodone per day, and in one case 900 mg per day-- and they stabilized and did well on buprenorphine. If you have a very high tolerance, you may have mild dysphoria for the first week or two on buprenorphine. But realize that almost EVERYONE who starts buprenorphine comes from a tolerance higher than that provided by buprenorphine. So everyone has the same challenge-- and the only issue is the degree of difficulty. After a few weeks, your experience is the same as that of any other addict.

Don't expect to FEEL anything; don't expect buprenorphine to 'work'. YOU have to do the work; buprenorphine will prevent withdrawal if you stay on it for a week, and your cravings will slowy subside if you avoid triggers, use distraction, avoid using people, etc.

Give it another try-- but don't focus on the chemical issues. Make the changes in your life to help the process- and we'll all be hoping for the best for you.