It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:04 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I just thought of a scenario.
Since I have this Subutex sitting around the house all the time,It might come in handy if there was an accident of some kind.For instance,what if my wife or neighbor for instance got hurt and Tylenol wasn't helping,blah blah blah...How much Subutex could I give her or someone to ease the pain if they didn't want the hassle of an E.R visit?I'm talking about people who never use painkillers here.
Any thoughts.

Btw,I know this looks like one of those "my friend has this problem"type things but it's really not.I just would like to know What kind of dose a doctor would administer for acute pain for example.

Thanks in advance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:23 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

As far as I know, suboxone is not generally used for acute pain - just opiate addiction. Some of us also take it off-label for chronic pain, but if someone went into the ER with an injury they likely would not receive suboxone. I wouldn't give it to anyone it's not prescribed for - it's simply WAY TOO STRONG. Plus wouldn't you be jeopardizing your sub treatment? That's diversion, after all. Just be careful, that's my opinion.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:06 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Yeah I didn't think it was a great idea but in an emergency out fishing or something like that I don't know.So you think it would be too strong for someone at any dose I could possibly break off eh?
Ok thanks.I learn something new everyday.Usually more than one thing:p

Take care,
Tony

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:15 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Just my thoughts here, but treating our addiction also includes changing our behaviors about all sorts of things - including sharing our medication with other people. Beyond the fact that Bup is pretty piss poor as a pain killer, you really should not be providing medications that are prescribed for you - to other people. In fact, I would submit that we should really try to change our thinking and behavior when it comes to this type of thing. Self medicating is what got some of us in the positions we are in. Suggesting to someone else that they take our medication is just another form of self medicating. It's just not a good idea to "play doctor" and if you are going to play doctor, I really would not suggest asking strangers over the Internet how to do it.

Again, just my thoughts on the matter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:29 pm 
Yeah, dontsleep.....not to be mean either, but that is a really bad idea. Sub would be the absolute last thing on my list of things to give anyone. I've heard that someone without a big opiate tolerance already, gets extremely sick from taking Suboxone. I mean just think about it for a minute.....most of us on Sub were taking a boatload of opiates! Nope....bad, bad idea on so many levels. Minor injuries, aches and pains not requiring a trip to the doctor or ER are exactly what over-the-counter Tylenol, Advil, etc are for.....stick with those.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:40 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I completely agree with everyone else, however, I think you were just curious what sub would do to a normal person and by using the example, it made it sound funny. I am no doctor but my guess would be a normal person could take 1mg and if that didn't work they could take another 1mg in about an hour or so. Sub does actually work pretty well as a pain killer for the first few days or so. It is distracting enough to a normal person that even acute pain will not bother them as much. But if the pain is going to last longer than about a week, it is not good for acute pain.

And the only situation I can think of where I would share my suboxone might be if I crashed in the Alps or something like those soccer players years ago and there was no access to medical care. Unfortunately that is also a scenario that freaks me out because if that ever happened and you survived, you would never make it because you would be in such severe withdrawal you would be miserable. Can you imagine trying to do a liquid taper in the middle of the freezing cold on your own? Ugh! I'm going to put this out of my mind and go think more pleasant thoughts now.

Cherie

- Winston Churchill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:10 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

First of all it really was an innocent question and I wasn't asking anyone here how to get anyone high so lets us get that straightened out right off the bat.Second I'm sorry if that's how it looked.I really am.

Third.
Wow!!!! Just wow!.Guysand gals,I never looked at my question like that,About self medicating and sharing and all that stuff I used to do when
I was getting high!
I never thought it was a part of my psyche.How my addiction spreads out in other forms like that.
Well there ya go,I learned another thing today.
A big thank you for all who responded to my thread.Unbeleivable!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:33 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

They don't call addiction "Cunning, Baffling and Powerful" for nothing :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:49 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

junkie781 wrote:
They don't call addiction "Cunning, Baffling and Powerful" for nothing :wink:

Wow you guy are good.I think I have to go study a bit now...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:17 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Again I have to agree with everyone. Although I know that subutex Is widely used in other countrys as a painkiller. As far as the dose I really couldnt say. I would probably start with 1-2 mg, and go from there.