It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:59 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

So my doctor said a lot of people struggle to get to 24-36 hours, and she gave me the following meds to help get through it:
- toradol, tramadol, carisoprodol, lyrica for pain
- lomotil for diarrhea
- zofran for nausea
- xanax for anxiety
- Sonata for insomnia
- clonidine for something (I'm not sure what)

I've taken all of them as prescribed except for the Sonata and Clonidine - I'm already too drowsy.

I've gone 30-some hours since my last dose. i think i'm ready for the bupe, but my COWS is only 12. i think that's b/c the 'comfort meds' are masking a lot of the withdrawal symtpoms.

Should i take it?

Last edited by knockoutmouse on Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:53 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

my pupils are enormous and i can't stop yawning, my nose is running and my eyes are leaking tears (even though I'm not crying), but I haven't had any diarrhea or stomach cramps (probably b/c the lomotil and zofran), I don't feel anxious or restless (if anything, I feel incredibly drugged and drowsy from all the meds), my joints don't ache, etc.
The symptom that's killing me is a very sharp pain right in the inside of my spine. Other than that, I'm
OK. Drugged out of my mind but OK.
31 or 32 hours since last morphine (immed release). I've mostly slept through it (and I haven't even taken the Sonata) bc the xanax and lyrica make me SO drowsy.

So am I ready for the bupe? The pain in my spine is killing me. I was on the verge of taking a morphine but then I thought, maybe I should take the bupe instead? But It's not 36-48 hours yet. I don't know if I can handle this pain for another 4 hours.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:54 am 

Hey Knocked,
I dont know your whole story but it seems to me you are ready to begin.
Comfort meds becore induction can get in the way by a masking of simptoms. I dont like the fact as you ve written that you want your DOC.
If that is the case, then pick up the bupe in a lower dose . Can you make it till noon? Or a bigher COWS?
Remember, the worse the wd the better.
If you start this morning go slowly..2mgs at a time the first few hours..

Im not a dr, just been herecand on bupe for 6 years. Good luck!! Your going to feell great soon.

Razor

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:43 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Thank you Razor!

I'd say there's no way I can make it till noon (it's 6:30 where I am on the west coast). My goal was to make it till 8 or 9 (which would be 36 hours).

I know the meds are masking a lot b/c I slept through one of the Lomotil/zofran doses and had the worst cramping and diarrhea when I woke up. An hour after I took them, my stomach was fine.

The one thing they aren't masking is the bone pain - which is always my worst symptom. I'm SO jealous of the people who just get restless legs, flu symptoms, and psych issues. The spinal pain is truly unbearable.

I think I'm in pretty deep withdrawal even though my COWS is only 19 b/c on the symptoms that aren't masked, I get a very high score. E.g. my pupils are enormous and I'm yawning every 5 seconds. If it weren't for all the sedating meds (xanax, soma, lyrica, etc) I'm sure I'd be crawling out of my skin and have a much higher COWs score.

My doctor usually responds to texts very quickly, but I don't want to wake her at 6 am on a Saturday. She's already kind of an angel, treating people for free.

I think I'll take the bupe now. 1/4 of an 8 mg Buprenorphine tablet (they're orange with a moon on them).

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:48 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I took 2 mg of bupe about 2 mins ago. No effect yet.

Boy do those things taste terrible! Is there a better-tasting alternative?

But more importantly: How long till the pain goes away and I start feeling better?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:41 am 

This is why I totally understand why doing induction at home would be so difficult..... I would have taken my first dose to soon or just been completely confused. What was ur prescribed dose supposed to be knockedout? Whatever ur doctor told u to take then I would slowly get to it 2mg at a time.

My doctor had me dose every 30-45min at 2mg until I reached 8mg that particular day. Then from the next day on I started on 16mg... don't know why I didn't do 16 that first day but it all worked like clockwork. I had no issues.

Let us know how it goes. Good luck!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:40 pm 

I couldn't agree more with Jenn.
Just keep the doses going every hour or two. It takes 60 to 90 mins for the med to totally absorb into the blood system.
When you feel a sence of wellness or just plane good you will know you ve inducted.

Taste? Well I dont know witch one you are useing. Also, you want to keep that med in your mouth for a good 20/30 mins.. do not swallow!!

How much are you to take dailly?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:05 pm 

I wasn't thrilled with the taste either in the beginning, but honestly I was wayyyy to grateful to be out of active addiction to say anything negative lol. The taste was the last thing I was thinking about. So if it were me, I wouldn't already be thinking about switching to something different, just get through ur induction. Like Razor said, it takes just a bit for the medicine to absorb, that's why u should wait 30-40 min between each dose during induction.

Hope everything went well!!!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:25 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Doc said take 2 mg, wait 1-2 hr for more receptors to open up, then take another 2 mg, and so on. She said I would determine my own dose - she recommended 16 mg, but said taking less or taking more is fine. To take it until I'm comfortable.

My pills are buprenorphine 8 mg, they're orange with a moon on one side and 153 on the other. I could live w/ the awful bitter taste if I weren't nauseated, but given that I can't eat anything right now w/o barfing it up, the taste is, well, a bitter pill to swallow!

So I've taken 4 mg so far (could've taken another 2 an hour ago, but all the xanax still has me sleeping). the pain in my spine is gone (Thank god!), but my pupils are still big and my nose is still running. Do I need another 2?

I'm trying to keep my dose low since I'm paying cash (about $2 per 8 mg bupe pill)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:27 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Holy shit - 20-30 mins???!!! OK, I'm definitely doing this wrong. I'm only taking 1/4 pill at a time, but I'd say it takes less than a minute to dissolve.

They should put them on sticks like the fentanyl lollipops. That makes it easier to rub them against the cheek.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:03 pm 

No, It does indeed take 60/90 mins for each dose to absorb into the blood. Stick with this time frame. Our own Dr J confirm s this.
Also, you may speed it aloug now. You have gone into any type of pw so it is safe to say your on your way.I went to 8mgs my first day and was fine. Felt fine, normal. However, if cravings come more may be Buprenorphine should be taken.
Your doing well, keep and eye on your eyes". It ll take a few hours to get stablized. I do not know your tolerance but you are trying to find the balance here.

Razor..

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:12 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

i was prescribed 800 mg morphine a day, plus some fentanyl and dilaudid. But in the last month, I cut the dilaudid and fentanyl and stuck to the morphine. I was able to get my dose down to 200 mg/day but when I went from 200 to zero, I felt like shit.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:15 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Right now, I feel like half-ok. I feel kinda like I did on the days when I made the early morphine cuts (like going 800 to 600 or 600 to 400) - not really in withdrawal, but sure not feeling good!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:00 pm 

I was doing about 150 or more mgs a day of oxycodone a day and my dose was 16mg a day of buprenorphine. So if ur not feeling better at 4 or 8mg then don't be afraid to take a little bit more.

Also u said ur putting it near ur cheek? U can also try under the tongue, maybe ur not absorbing good....just a thought.

I pay $9 a strip lol! So I understand all about price concerns.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:01 pm 

You want to feel well and your tolerance at 200 mgs if hefty. Have taken at least 8mgs yet today?
Jenn is right if your needing more go with a 4mg dose.
Only you csn know over these next 2/3 days how much is enough. Then after a week or 10 days you can become stable on one dose or mg number.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:33 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Thank you so much. I was trying to stick to 4 mg since that would be $1 per day. I was down to 200 mg but I still hadn't really adjusted to that dosage (I went from 800 to 200 in less than a week. It was shitty but I'm not very patient with tapering).

I think I could tough it out at 4, but the reason to get to 8 or higher is b/c I still have a shit-ton of morphine and other opiates in my house, and it's good to be above the bupe ceiling dose so that I'm not tempted to take them (since all my mu receptors will be occupied w/ the bupe, there's no point taking anything else - if I understand correctly).

$9 per strip is CRAZY!!!! Here (in N Cal), where everything is expensive, generic buprenorphine 8 mg is still less than $2. That's why my doc prescribes it - she says naloxone is a scam to jack up the prices.

Should I go straight from 4 to 8 or try 6 first?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:47 pm 

If it were me, I'd try 6mg first but be very willing to go to 8mg if I still needed to.

And yes, I pay $9 a strip! And that's the cheapest I could honestly find. I go to a clinic in Kentucky and also full my meds at a pharmacy in Kentucky. Who knew good ol KY would be so fricking expensive!!!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:30 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Wow!!! At $9 a pop, 60 films/month would be $540! It would be cheaper to fly to SF, see one of the free doctors in the bay area (and we have some very cool ones), and fill the generic bupe for $2/pill.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:43 pm 

. Ya , 6 first then get the rest of those opiate s out of your house...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:58 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Yeah, I've stocked up a hell of a supply over the years. I REALLY don't wanna throw them out, though. What I'd like to do is donate them to one of the countries where even people with terminal cancer, 3rd degree burns, acute pancreatitis, etc can't get a single dose of opiate b/c there's no supply. According to HRW, there are 25 countries where more than 99% of terminal cancer patients can't get a single dose of an opiate. Just another way in which the USA's war on drugs screws the third world.
I just want a way to donate them legally to ppl in need, not toss a shitload of perfectly good medications down the toilet.