It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:53 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I'm new to Suboxone, (this is my 5th day on it), and coming from methadone, my Suboxone dr. said that 30mg's of meth is just about the same as 24mg's of Sub, so that's what he started me on and, no, I don't take it for pain. Although I have arthritis throughout my entire back, this med does jack-shit for it. Ibuprofen works better. Anyways, does what my dr. said make sense? Second, he told me to dose 3 times a day, but to try to take only half a pill before bed, and if that doesn't work, take the other half if I wake up sick. I've read that 16mg's of Sub covers 94% of our brains opiate receptors, so I'm wondering, should I be taking all 16mg's at the same time and try to forget that other half? I haven't even been there a week, so I don't want to get on my drs' bad side by not following directions. He seems cool, and rates real well on one of those doctor review websites, so I don't want to lose him. Plus, he's less than 10 minutes and 8 miles away from my house. Can't beat that.

Post subject: Moderators, please help.
PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:23 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

My bad. This ? should have gone under "Dosing Discussion". I'm not sure how to move this ? there and delete it here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:20 pm 
Lots of people are against multiple dosing but to be honest I realy like dosing 2 times a day vs taking it all at once, it just seems to be more effective for me. Right now I'm on 2mgs twice a day and it works better FOR ME like that instead of taking it all at once. Since you are still early on in treatment dosing twice is completely fine. . Also to be honest if I remember right you said you are having troubles affording sub while you wait to hear about PAP (Im in the same boat), just saying that because Ive noticed pretty much zero difference between 16mgs vs 8mg so if you had to you could probably cut your dose in half and save yourself a lot of money. I wouldnt advise doing that right now since you just started but in a couple weeks when you have built up enough bupe in your system it could be done if needed. I had to go all the way down to 4mgs way to fast because of the cost and it wasnt to hard, but I am going to try and get generic subutex so I can go back up to 8mg where I feel completely stable.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:02 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

You are right, $ is VERY tight for me so I would like to be on, at the most, 16mg's/day. As of now I have no desire to take my 3rd pill at all. I'm gonna try and forget it for tonight, and if need be, it will be there to take. I'm just so used to waking up @ 3a.m. to get ready for the "clinic", that I still wake up too early, so I do my usual things at that time, then try to lie back down for a while. I have gained 2 1/2 more hours of sleep since starting Sub, so now I'm up @ 5:30ish. I'd either like to take all 16mg's at say, 8a.m., or 8mg's @ 5:30a.m., then the second one @ 5:30p.m. and forget the 3rd one all-together, but like someone else here said, I want to be damn sure 16mg's will work before asking my dr. to drop my dose.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:54 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Obviously, everyone is different, but the school of thought on dosing is this: As active drug addicts, we often consumed (or "fixed") multiple times per day. Continuing to do so while taking suboxone tends to reinforce this old, addict behavior.

Now, I'm not saying whether or not I agree with that line of reasoning, but it does seem to have some merit.

Given the long half-life of suboxone, it is pretty unlikely that you would suffer any consequences by dosing a single time each day, particularly given the dose you are taking, which is well above the ceiling.

I do not advocate ignoring a doctor's advice or prescription instructions, but I do advocate common sense. If you believe that the act of dosing multiple times per day is, in fact, reinforcing old "junkie" behavior, then perhaps you should consider dosing once a day. If not, then just do what your doctor says.

Oh, yeah, almost forgot...For people who are tapering, once they are below 4mg, it is usually best to dose more than once per day to avoid withdrawal symptoms.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:52 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Usually the norm (once stabilized following induction) is to dose once daily. (Actually some people do dose once ever other day, too, but that's kind of beside the point.) Like Junkie said, it's basically to get us addicts out of the habit of taking something when we feel like we "need" it. The mean half-life of bupe is 37 hours, so you should be just find and dandy if you take your dose all at once. But as others said, I'm not telling you to disregard your doctor's orders. Also, be aware that it's not uncommon in the beginning of sub treatment to be dosing more than once daily. That usually goes down to once daily once stabilized. It's also not unusual for a doctor to put a new sub patient on a higher dose to begin with and, again, once stabilized, drop the dosage to the lowest dose necessary to address withdrawals and cravings.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:11 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

The great thing about this med, instead of methadone, (I'm not bashing, just being honest), is, instead of being ready for bed @ 6p.m., I find myself in the middle of things @10 of 11p.m. and have to tell myself to get some sleep. Here's the thing; since I've been going to bed later, I get up later. So yesterday I took my 1st dose of 8mg @ 5:30a.m., and again around 4pm. w/out having to take my third dose at all. That's going from 24mg to 16mg in one day. Is this something I'm gonna feel in a couple days, or should I get my body and mind ready for this dose?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:21 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Going from 24 to 16 mg sounds like a big drop, but considering it's basically all the same as long as it's at or above the ceiling (around 4 mg) and the fact that you just started your treatment, it's my opinion that you won't feel a thing.

I dose for pain, too, and take 8 mg 2 or 3 times a day. On my bad days I will take it 3 times a day. Sometimes that will go on for a few days or more. Then when I go back to 16 mg I can't notice the difference (only difference is pain-wise). Now obviously our situations are quite different - I've been dosing this way for coming up on 2 years - but I wanted to make the point that when I mess with my dose for pain control, I don't "notice" any effects from it.

Hope this helps. Keep up the good work. So glad you are doing well.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.