It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:13 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I had bilateral cubital and carpel tunnel surgery, left in September 2008 and the right in December 2008. On February 10, 2009 I started my suboxone treatment and have been FREE of pain pills to this day. I have had complications from the surgery on my elbows. On October 14, 2009 I have to under go surgery on my right elbow. I have to have my ulnar nerve moved to the top of my arm and put under a muscle. I need help with pain afterwards! Is there any options for me? Going off my suboxone and taking pain pills is NOT an option for me although that is all that has been offered. Please help. I have surgery in a week and a half. :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 1:25 pm 
Hi Vanessa! I'm sorry for what you're going through. I'm not a doctor, but I was an RN for nearly 20 years, so I do have some medical background. However, I was in a specialized field and I am not really at all knowledgeable about the particular surgery you are going to be having.
May I ask why you are completely against switching to full agonist pain meds for a short time then switching back to Sub? Is it that you're afraid of what might happen? that you might not want to get back on Sub? If so, I think we all can understand that. You have done so well since February and I'm sure you don't want to go back to where you were and have to start all over. Understandable.
But - you have to be realistic. You are having surgery for heaven's sake. As I said, I am not familiar with this particular surgery, but it sounds pretty involved. I assume you will be under general anesthesia, or will you be just having a block of the arm they are working on? I know sometimes it's possible to have both. In which case, the block will not wear off until several hours after surgery, thereby providing you with some pain relief immediately post op. You might ask your doctor and anesthesiologist about this. In any event, I would think it would be absolutely necessary to cut back as much as you can on your Suboxone before surgery so the meds you need in the hospital will work for you. Not to worry you any more than you already are, but you never know what's gonna happen when you go in for surgery.
As far as after you get home and dealing with the pain. If you are absolutely not going to take pain meds, there are other ways of dealing with pain. We all know there was a time in history when there wasn't much available as far as pain medicines and people did live with pain. Perhaps you could check at the library or bookstore or even on the internet about alternative pain management techniques. There are many, including prayer, meditation, visualization, distraction, and so forth. Before you laugh - these techniques can and do work. I've seen them in action many times over the years.
Most of all Vanessa, please follow the advise of your doctors. They are trying to help you. Unfortunately, by being addicts and being on Suboxone, we make their job a little more difficult, challenging, and frustrating, because they have to deviate from their "standard" methods of practice. (don't get me wrong PLEASE - I don't feel sorry for them and I think there should be more education amongst medical practitioners re: addiction and treatment, more literature about how to deal with us addicts, and way more understanding and better treatment of us!) Just try to give them the benefit of the doubt that they want the best for you.
I wish you the best with your surgery and recovery. Hope I helped a little.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:20 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Please rethink this. I know you fear relapse, but this is pretty major surgery and you will be in pain. If you could get a family member to hold your pain medicine and to give it to you as needed or prescribed, then it would be easier to maintain control. Do not think of this as a relapse or counting against your clean time. I had surgery and discontinued my suboxone, only 36 hours prior to surgery and I had complications which left me out to dry pain relief-wise because the bupe continued to block full mu agonists as long as 72 hours after stopping the sub. You don't want to be completely blocked if this were to occur with your surgery. For me, it was a lesson learned. Please reconsider.