It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 1:40 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

So all of last night I had an aweful, aweful toothache didn't sleep a wink. First thing this morning I get to the Dentist office to have him take a look and it turns out I have an infection underneath filling (here I come root canal...ugh) Anyways not many options for pain tried 800mg ibuprofen ever 6 hours 1000mgs tylenol on top of that every 6 hours I was so desperate was willing to deal with the stomach ache the ibuprofen caused but no relief. Dentist said he thought I might get a little benefit taking 100mg Ultram called and asked my Subox Dr. what he thought before having anything filled of course and he said it would be a waste of money and said it'd only be comparable to 800mg of ibuprofen. Being desperate and even hoping for the placebo effect to finally get some sleep 8hours later it does feel somewhat better still throbbing a bit but I'm hoping once the antibiotics start working the pain will be gone for good. Just thought I'd pass this info along if anyone finds themselves desperate for some pain relief. Anyone have any better suggestions or ways they've been able to manage severe pain while on Suboxone maintenance? I just really didn't like the whole scenario no sleep severe pain missing work class and knowing there'd only be minimal if any pain relief at best even once the Dr.'s office opened. I guess I just need to figure out a better plan of what to do in the future if it ever happens again. I was a little bit dissapointed my Subox Dr. didn't have any advice I realize he's busy but geese(of course maybe there really isn't anything I can do) I think everyone knows how poorly opiate addicts handle pain though....But if this is the price I have to pay to stay clean it's rather small but last night was the worst! :(

Post subject: Acute Pain
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 1:54 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Matt
Please dont take tylenol on top of ibuprofen. Your liver could just quit on you. I know you are in pain and going to the dentist was smart. As soon as you take the antibiotics, well take 2 onset then take the regular dose (1) however it says in less than 24 hrs you will feel better. Then just take the ibuprofen or really asprin if your alergic is better. Because it goes straight to the bone. I really hope you feel better soon. Topical numbing medicine really makes the infection worse. Rince every 2 hrs with warm salt water. Good luck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 2:01 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Thanks Ali :)
I have noticed topical numbing either causes bad rebound pain or typically only helps for a few minutes max problem this time was the pain was sooo deep did literally nothing for me. I think I may be ok hopefully I can get a good nights rest tonight

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 4:12 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I had a kidney stone a few months after I started Sub, but the IV painkiller still worked (thank god). For the pain afterward, I had percoset, which I took with a small dose of Suboxone and that worked too. I was on 8mg of Sub at the time, and when I took the percoset without the Sub it did nothing. So I took 2mg of Suboxone and then I was fine. After the stone passed I went right back to 8mg of Suboxone.

My friend is on suboxone also and she had a serious tooth infection that required surgery. She went off her Sub and then she had some pretty serious painkillers after. She had some issues the first day after surgery, but the doctor was then able to get her pain managed adequately. She had no problems going back onto Sub after she healed either.

I also hurt my back a while ago and my doctor suggested increasing my suboxone dose for a few days, which really helped a lot, but I'm on a low dose so maybe that's why.

I hope you feel better soon.

-Jack Kornfield

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 11:30 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

I read up in the first post that taking Tylenol and Motrin (or it's generis equivelent) can make your kidneys shut down!! Is this accurate? I been taking 2 tylenol and 2 motrin every morning for at least 6-7 years and at least two of each at least one more time during the day for chronic pain. Is this going to kill me?
I am also perscribed Carisopridol for my pain also and it actually works but that's not an everyday med. I only take that if I have a flare-up. Please advise.
-C.C.

Post subject: My recent experience
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 1:35 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I too recently faced the dilemma of extreme pain while being on Suboxone and was torn over what to do. My doc and I first decided to just keep up the suboxone at my maintenance dose of 16mg once a day and simply add on a sleeping aid in order to sleep through the worst of the pain. This worked for several days until an infection drove the pain up to an unbearable level. I immediately contacted my Suboxone doc and he switched me to a full agonist (Opana) for a week and then to switch back to Suboxone. For me this worked great and I would recommend it to anyone who has enough willpower to use the full agonist responsibly and be able to go back to Suboxone after the pain has been reduced to a reasonable level. Again, this is a decision that you need to make in consultation with your Suboxone doc. There are many options for those on Suboxone who experience an episode of pain. Your doc can help you make a choice that is reasonable and helpful to your specific situation. I am lucky to have one of the best Suboxone docs and he made the whole experience seamless.
Best of luck and I hope you and your doc can come to a reasonable solution!
-jp04

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 1:47 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I have to disagree with earlier posts that suggest that you can damage your liver by combining Tylenol and ibuprofen for pain. First Tylenol and ibuprofen are in two different classes as Tylenol works in your liver to block the formation of prostaglandins while ibuprofen is an NSAID (Non Steroidal Anti Inflammatory Drug) that acts on the body in a different way. When combined at normal OTC doses there is no risk of liver damage in a healthy person. In fact many doctors will recommend combining the two drugs occasionally for pain as they work synergistically and can be an effective short term treatment for pain when Tylenol or Ibuprofen alone just don't cut it while avoiding prescription pain killers. In everything you do use common sense!!! Don't take Tylenol and Ibuprofen together day after day; don't even take each drug separately frequently. And if you are unsure or are concerned there is always the easiest solution. Talk with your doc and see if he or she says it is ok to do. There is no harm in asking for help or advice from your doc... That is why they are there- to help you-jp04

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:24 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

When I have sever pain, usually from my teeth Abscess' and things like that, My Dr. says to go up to the ER but when I get there they ask what meds I'm on and refuse any treatment whatsoever and swrite me off like trash. Makes me feel just terrible about myself. One time my Dr. said to have the ER doc call him and that he would tell or approve the use of pain relief. This was a very serious situation and I had a dentist appt but was 100 miles away (acsess card) and a month out! so anyway the ER doc gets the OK to prescribe something and after he hangs up from my Dr. he says " Your just going to have to deal with it and don't ever come here to get narcotics again!" I actually was only there to get an antibiotic but was denied and booted out. I seen my doc like I do every month and he asked how the pain meds worked on me with the suboxone. I told him what happened and he was pissed at the Jersey Shore (Pennsylvania) hospitals hospitality (man is that a misnomer huh?) I am still having problems with my teeth but now I know that I am a piece of trash cause I am trying to better my life and actually and honestly needed some pain management. Anything ever happen like this to any of you? seems to be the norm around here. NE./C. Pennsylvania.