It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:48 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I'm sure there is probably another topic post somewhere on this site but I couldnt find it. Im curious as to how long everybody waits to dose on their sub after their last relapse/induction??? From what Ive been told by my Dr and have read 24 hrs is the standard "magic number" to wait to dose for most opiates (all of those with regular half-lives?). I myself have really only had success waiting the 24 but have spoken to a decent amount of people that claim to have had success dosing sub anywhere between 12-24 hrs after last use. Have any of you guys experienced dosing success before the 24 hrs is up? One of the biggest reasons that a relapse continues for me is that I have such a hard time waiting the period of time until I could take my Sub so I was wondering what other peoples experiences have been regarding this issue. Any replys will be much appreciated!! --LEVI

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:52 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I am a very firm believer that THERE IS NO MAGIC AMOUNT OF TIME. It is much less about the number of hours that have passed than it is the level of withdrawal that you are in. If using the COWS scale, it is recommended that you are at a minimum of 5 to 6 while scores of 10 or greater are preferable. Translated, you should be in mild to moderate withdrawal. For some people that takes 24 hours. For others, it may only be 12 hours, while for yet others it may take 48 hours or more. It has much less to do with time and much more to do with the specific opiate that you have been using and the amount of it.

So get a copy of the COWS scale, grade your symptoms, and when you hit 10 or more, you should be safe to dose with Suboxone - no clock needed. A copy of the COWS scale along with supporting information for what I just stated can be found at www.naabt.org

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:27 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Cool. Thanks man. Ive never heard of the COWS scale but ill check it out right now. Thanks for the reply.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:48 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I personally have went against the doctors advice (as an addict I think I know whats best for me) and taken suboxone with in hours of using and I personally had no side effects. This was in my case I'm sure the statistics say something different but this was my first hand account. I wish you the best and the advice that was given I totally agree with, I don't think there is a magic number.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:34 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I waited the minimum amount of time, 18hrs, my doctor told me, but then they took 2 more hours in the Dr office to actually see me. I was in really uncomfortable withdrawals for about 10 hours. I almost bailed and dosed up, but I was really ready to get off my addiction cycle, and I'm damn glad I did. In less than 48 hours I was feeling like a new man. If they hadn't under dosed me so much, it would have been even sooner than that. Based on what I've read, I guarantee I could have waited only 8 hours. You need to wait enough time that you've started some kind of withdrawal symptom. Past feeling high at all, past feeling "normal", I know for me the fist sign was always a runny nose, then a little later feeling colder than I should and sweating easier than I should. And that was about 8 hours after oxycodone. (For oxycontin, you'd have to tag on 10 hours for the time release factor). But I was not willing to risk precipitated withdrawals, because that will take on 2 more days of really crappy withdrawals, from what I hear.